Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 11:09 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
So?

People who save lives through medicine, through police work, through emergency rescue services, through social work...people who teach, who research and develop life changing technologies, who build things that last for a century...people who save souls, who save troubled minds...

ALL of these unnamed people contribute more to society than some movie star who lent his name to alcohol (which, by the way, the world is not short of). Even Clooney's work as a movie star is arguably more important than the money he invested in tequila.
There is a reason why people saving lives aren’t paid very much - people don’t value their own lives as much as they value booze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And money, power, greed, survival, revenge, passion, love, lust....
Name one thing that is enabled for you not by money.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:14 AM

1,378 posts, read 737,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
I believe the events of the past month will finally make Americans realize who their real heroes are.

Other than our brave and proud Armed Forces, it is all the American healthcare workers who have stepped up to the Front Lines to save lives while most certainly risking their own.

Let’s also not forget other 'Essential Workers': the farmers, factory workers, truckers, and store workers who maintain our food supply; those that keep our electricity turned on; and the fire fighters and policemen that continue to keep us safe.

I was never a professional sports fan – I’d rather play a sport than watch one. But I guess there are many adults who are out of shape, cannot play or never could, and must live vicariously through these exorbitantly-paid athletes. And the owners even try to get local property owners to subsidize their stadiums through higher taxes!

Hopefully we will finally reprioritize who we want our children to emulate. And maybe we should reward these brave and men and women by showing them more respect and appreciation. How about a Hero Bonus and a Congressional medal?

So - Who are the true Heroes of our Nation? Those who save lives or those who make Millions $$$ to throw a ball around?
I would say the health care workers and the essential workers...not the military at all.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
There is a reason why people saving lives aren’t paid very much - people don’t value their own lives as much as they value booze.
Well then, isn't this why OP created the thread?

Old 04-08-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
I would say the health care workers and the essential workers...not the military at all.
You do understand doctors and nurses are PAID to do what they do.

That’s no different from a greed bloodsucking capitalist.

Where’s the heroism in that?

Old 04-08-2020, 11:31 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Name one thing that is enabled for you not by money.
you said people are motivated only by contributing to society. Your just all over the place.

Yes most people need money to go about their life and most people generate money and contribute to the country's economy. I think your jumping into a different pool here.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:35 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Arent just about all jobs essential? When the economy goes down the crapper due to closed businesses and laid off workers we will see how essential all working people are to the greater good.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:07 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
I believe the events of the past month will finally make Americans realize who their real heroes are.

Other than our brave and proud Armed Forces, it is all the American healthcare workers who have stepped up to the Front Lines to save lives while most certainly risking their own.

Let’s also not forget other 'Essential Workers': the farmers, factory workers, truckers, and store workers who maintain our food supply; those that keep our electricity turned on; and the fire fighters and policemen that continue to keep us safe.

I was never a professional sports fan – I’d rather play a sport than watch one. But I guess there are many adults who are out of shape, cannot play or never could, and must live vicariously through these exorbitantly-paid athletes. And the owners even try to get local property owners to subsidize their stadiums through higher taxes!

Hopefully we will finally reprioritize who we want our children to emulate. And maybe we should reward these brave and men and women by showing them more respect and appreciation. How about a Hero Bonus and a Congressional medal?

So - Who are the true Heroes of our Nation? Those who save lives or those who make Millions $$$ to throw a ball around?
This is something I have been "preaching" for years. (Although I would disagree that ALL military personnel are heroes. Some (perhaps most) are, but many others are looking for a free college education, security, etc.)

Old 04-08-2020, 12:31 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Babe Ruth, arguably the greatest athlete of all time, only made about $80,000 per year – that's about $1 million dollars in today’s money! How many professional athletes make over $100 Million today?

And movie stars - back in the Golden Age of Hollywood most of them were on contract and were paid a scale salary. Last year George Clooney earned $239 million before taxes!

I guess many Americans idolize these people because of how much money they make. How much do nurses and EMTs make?

$6 million of that $239 million came from acting and endorsements.

The other $233 million case from the sale of the tequila company he started with Rande Gerber (Cindy Crawford's husband) and another partner.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:33 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This is something I have been "preaching" for years. (Although I would disagree that ALL military personnel are heroes. Some (perhaps most) are, but many others are looking for a free college education, security, etc.)
Whatever their motivation, it doesnt change what’s asked of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies