Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 12:37 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
I would say the health care workers and the essential workers...not the military at all.
What about the greedy oil and gas companies that provide the fuel and electricity to the hospitals?

What about the farmers providing food for the people?

What about the car manufacturers that build cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 12:40 PM

Name one person who doesn’t risk his life to go to work?

Even Trump risks his life being the president. Is he not a hero???

Old 04-08-2020, 12:41 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Babe Ruth, arguably the greatest athlete of all time, only made about $80,000 per year – that's about $1 million dollars in today’s money! How many professional athletes make over $100 Million today?

And movie stars - back in the Golden Age of Hollywood most of them were on contract and were paid a scale salary. Last year George Clooney earned $239 million before taxes!

I guess many Americans idolize these people because of how much money they make. How much do nurses and EMTs make?
lots of NFL players making over a million a game...

Old 04-08-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
lots of NFL players making over a million a game...
NFL players also risk their lives.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:50 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
I am certainly not suggesting that we pay nurses and EMTs $100 Million, but after I've recently seen how these brave people have stepped up (NOT just doing their job), making due with their limited resources, and exposing themselves (and family) to possible death in order to take care of their fellow citizens, I believe they should receive additional rewards and compensation after this crisis passes.

After all did they not save the Free Market from going into further economic decline?
I make a commodity every day without which Drs and Nurses would be unable to do their job. In a frankly hazardous job. What do I get?

Old 04-08-2020, 01:10 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
I believe the events of the past month will finally make Americans realize who their real heroes are.

Other than our brave and proud Armed Forces, it is all the American healthcare workers who have stepped up to the Front Lines to save lives while most certainly risking their own.

Let’s also not forget other 'Essential Workers': the farmers, factory workers, truckers, and store workers who maintain our food supply; those that keep our electricity turned on; and the fire fighters and policemen that continue to keep us safe.

I was never a professional sports fan – I’d rather play a sport than watch one. But I guess there are many adults who are out of shape, cannot play or never could, and must live vicariously through these exorbitantly-paid athletes. And the owners even try to get local property owners to subsidize their stadiums through higher taxes!

Hopefully we will finally reprioritize who we want our children to emulate. And maybe we should reward these brave and men and women by showing them more respect and appreciation. How about a Hero Bonus and a Congressional medal?

So - Who are the true Heroes of our Nation? Those who save lives or those who make Millions $$$ to throw a ball around?
I don't think anyone goes into medicine or nursing to receive public acclaim. Most healthcare workers are self motivated and gain personal satisfaction from their work.

As a physician, I do think, however, that nurses are under paid. Unfortunately, this is how society reimburses them, but I think it is too low.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:19 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Boy - not sure where this thread went ? But those who step up in the face of a micro tiny bug from hell -and go to serve others so they have what they need - they get a high five from me.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:24 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Boy - not sure where this thread went ? But those who step up in the face of a micro tiny bug from hell -and go to serve others so they have what they need - they get a high five from me.
Yes high five to everyone who is still going to their job to do what they do.
I wonder if they would prefer to be laid off?
Our local hospital just laid off 400 employees.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Name one person who doesn’t risk his life to go to work?

Even Trump risks his life being the president. Is he not a hero???

Old 04-08-2020, 01:35 PM

I think people should stop gold-plating what they do. Everyone of us has a choice and we choose to go to work in a certain profession. Is one profession more important than others? Maybe, but it doesn’t make anybody a saint.

Those who pay the most taxes are the true heroes as they support the entire society and the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies