Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 11:06 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,719,140 times

Advertisements

I'm in my 30's & I remember through high school & college always hearing that their will be a huge need for nurses because of the baby boomers getting old & needing care. I know that providing care for elderly isn't the same as a nurse in the ER but I think they are still related in the sense that you go to school and focus in that field.

I can't speak personally but I have a feeling that many parents probably gave their daughters (& sons) the idea about going into nursing in terms of a career. For the reason above but also because being in that field can pay very well (at least where I live).

Could we see a decline in the amount of people interested in that field now because of what's happening with PPE equipment shortages, the longer exhausting hours etc.

Even if you are one that feels the media is blowing things out of proportion that doesn't mean many aren't taking it serious.

I just could see a lot parents not being as crazy about giving their teenage kids the idea about going into nursing because of all of this. Not to mention current potential nurses that just started or are close to starting realizing it's nothing they want to be around.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 11:11 AM

35,808 posts, read 21,195,544 times
I know of 4 nurses and none have backed out. They have a passion for this work. NO ONE would see what they see - if this was not their calling. I would be a basket case in 15 min in the ER. No i think this will actually open up more...its about money for school etc.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:25 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,719,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I know of 4 nurses and none have backed out. They have a passion for this work. NO ONE would see what they see - if this was not their calling. I would be a basket case in 15 min in the ER. No i think this will actually open up more...its about money for school etc.

I hear what you're saying but just because they haven't backed out doesn't mean they haven't thought how they were doing something else.

I actually thought of this because my friends g/f is a nurse & she has basically quit because she's worried about taking the virus home. She told the hospital that she will help support in other ways for 2-3 weeks or otherwise she is done. Currently they are having her do something else but she's out of the main traffic.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:31 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,438,211 times
People keep becoming firemen, loggers, roofers, etc.

You like it, you do it. I'm just grateful someone has the guts to do those things cuz I sure as hell don't.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:57 AM

24,230 posts, read 12,880,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Exactly. Those who have a passion for the work will probably enter that field. It may weed out those who are only in it for a paycheck, hopefully. I would be able to handle the blood and guts, the puking and pooping, but I know I wouldn't be able to watch people suffer/die and walk away without it haunting me. I don't know how those with a true passion for nursing handle it, but they do.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:33 PM

36,794 posts, read 31,091,491 times
I think it takes a certain kind of person to become a nurse and that those individuals (most of them) are in it because that is what they love regardless of risk. So no I don't think there will be a shortage in the future due to this virus.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,308,104 times
Not as long as it pays what it presently pays. No chance. People will always take dangerous work if it pays concomitantly.

And as fewer and fewer good paying jobs become available as wages continue to tank in this country, nursing will become even more popular.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:02 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,694,000 times
There won't be a decline in nurses as long as there are nurturing people who feel the need to care for others. The nurses I've encountered seem to be wired that way.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:26 PM

15,944 posts, read 6,646,882 times
Robots will be changing your diapers, old man.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:32 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,445,995 times
I think if anything, this has made a lot of people interested in being a nurse, showed the important roles they have in society, the rallying behind them, and the prestige points they have gotten from this. People, especially those in their teens, who never thought about it, are now flooded with what they are doing and the society rallying behind them.

Sort of how like 9/11 had a flood of people wanting to join the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies