Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:10 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree and ""a "free" college education."...ya, what a horrible idea to have a well educated population. Better to make college education increasingly harder and harder to attain through higher and higher tuitions and student loans that are harder to get and have higher interest rates...keeps the peons down and free to take those low paying jobs.
Nothing wrong with a college education, but it's no one's "right" to obtain one and then have the audacity to claim it should be "free".

Old 04-25-2008, 01:16 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Default Move B!*ch! Get out the way.

Hello from a Gen X'er. You remember us don't you? We were described in time magazine as:
Quote:
"They possess only a hazy sense of their own identity but a monumental preoccupation with all the problems the preceding generation will leave for them to fix . . .This is the twenty-something generation, those 48 million young Americans ages 18 through 29 who fall between the famous baby boomers and the boomlet of children the baby boomers are producing. Since today's young adults were born during a period when the U.S. birthrate decreased to half the level of its postwar peak, in the wake of the great baby boom, they are sometimes called the baby busters. By whatever name, so far they are an unsung generation, hardly recognized as a social force or even noticed much at all...By and large, the 18-to-29 group scornfully rejects the habits and values of the baby boomers, viewing that group as self-centered, fickle and impractical. While the baby boomers had a placid childhood in the 1950s, which helped inspire them to start their revolution, today's twenty-something generation grew up in a time of drugs, divorce and economic strain. . .They feel influenced and changed by the social problems they see as their inheritance: racial strife, homelessness, AIDS, fractured families and federal deficits"
Look the Gen X'ers are growing to old and are way to busy to sweat the other Gens thinks of think of them. We are just trying to make it through this life and try to come out a little bit ahead of the game in the end. And that game is going to get tough in the next couple of years because of the economic slowdown and possible loss of being the only superpower in the world. So again we don't got the time to waste listen to the other Gens B!*th at/about us. We got work to do. So clear the way or get run over.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:44 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,764 times
I just don't find it to be the case the the Gen X, Y or Zers are any more selfish than any other generation. I'm a boomer, and a lot of folks would claim my generation is the most selfish of all.

What I see are mostly hard working people trying to make a better, or even a great life for themselves. What's wrong with that.

I sure know I wouldn't want to be starting out a career today. It looks to me to be so difficult to find a job nowadays, it just didn't seem that hard for me when I was starting out.

Now I think it's true that a good portion of the college generation, having been exposed to very liberal professors, may feel that a more socialized (centralized) path is better, but I see that as a very different issue than that the current generation is selfish.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:45 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Yeah, the times, they are a-changin'. Seems like I heard that somewhere before...

Old 04-25-2008, 01:45 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Quote:
I'm a younger person, and I've worked for those things rather than expecting someone else to pay for me.
I think there is a sense among younger workers that the Baby Boomers and earlier generations had it pretty good, and now they are "pulling up the drawbridge" behind them via strategies like outsourcing, reduction of job security, exploding education and healthcare costs, and so on. Basically, Boomers are seen as not being loyal to anyone but themselves.

Given that, it seems like a sucker's game to play by these new economic rules that previous generations did not impose on themselves. Young people are also more aware of how things are in other developed nations, all of which have some form of socialized medicine, for example. Thus develops a deepening resentment that, while other countries spent their wealth on health programs, we spent ours on such budget-busters as the Iraq war.

Basically, Boomers are seen as having failed to hold up "their end of the deal." So why should anyone else live up to theirs?

Old 04-25-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
It also describes a part of the youth culture that feels it is their "right" (note, entitlement) to receive things like "free" healthcare and a "free" college education. This delusion penetrates not only the Millenium Generation, but also segments of Generation X and the boomers...
"Free" healthcare and "free" college education? There's never been such a thing and never will be. The questions are over the means of heathcare and education FINANCING. That word refers to the means and models by which they will be PAID for....

Old 04-25-2008, 02:10 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
"Free" healthcare and "free" college education? There's never been such a thing and never will be. The questions are over the means of heathcare and education FINANCING. That word refers to the means and models by which they will be PAID for....

Good points.

I never understood why colleges charge so damn much for education and why the government doesn't offer very low interest rates for student loans. These entities cry about the importance of a college education, yet make it very difficult to obtain one.

Heck, I may tell my kid to learn a trade and become an electrician or plumber. It seems as they are very difficult to find these days.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think there is a sense among younger workers that the Baby Boomers and earlier generations had it pretty good...
If you consider Joe McCarthy good, if you consider Jim Crow good, if you consider nuclear confrontation good, if you consider a draft feeding a quagmire-war that took nearly 60K US lives good, if you consider a reactionary Establishment that would as soon bash your head in with an ax handle (or worse) if you complained good, if you consider Watergate and wage-price controls good, then yeah, the Boomers had some things pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
...and now they are "pulling up the drawbridge" behind them via strategies like outsourcing, reduction of job security, exploding education and healthcare costs, and so on. Basically, Boomers are seen as not being loyal to anyone but themselves.
Talk to the Reaganites and Neocons. Rail against the militant extremists and other followers of laissez-faire free-market capitalism. Take to task the promoters of Personal Repsonsibility® and the Ownership Society®. These are the villains in this drama. These are the ones who want to take, take, take and then tell everybody else to go fend for themselves...

Old 04-25-2008, 02:43 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
I think the whole idea of one generation being a certain way and another generation being a certain way is absurd.
Life changes...people don't.

All of history didn't consist of only the 20th century...what about all those other hundreds and hundreds of "generations"? Were they all really so different than the ones before or the ones after? No, just "people" reacting to their situation.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:47 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Good points.

I never understood why colleges charge so damn much for education and why the government doesn't offer very low interest rates for student loans. These entities cry about the importance of a college education, yet make it very difficult to obtain one.

Heck, I may tell my kid to learn a trade and become an electrician or plumber. It seems as they are very difficult to find these days.
Right you are about how difficult it is to get a college education....read a book by a former teacher who believes that the harder it is to get an education the easier it is to fill low paying jobs....wonder who thought up that clever plan.

You're also right about plumbers and electricians...good paying jobs...no prestige but great pay and you can't ship your house to China or India to have the plumbing fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies