Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:59 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Hello from a Gen X'er. You remember us don't you? We were described in time magazine as:

Look the Gen X'ers are growing to old and are way to busy to sweat the other Gens thinks of think of them. We are just trying to make it through this life and try to come out a little bit ahead of the game in the end. And that game is going to get tough in the next couple of years because of the economic slowdown and possible loss of being the only superpower in the world. So again we don't got the time to waste listen to the other Gens B!*th at/about us. We got work to do. So clear the way or get run over.
Don't you think that this so-called "Y", or "Z", (maybe we should start back at "A" again generation thing is a tad ridiculous? So there are kids who are starting out working and think they will shoot straight to the top - so what? I'm sure these type of people existed in every generation.
Don't you think a lot of these self-entitled kids will one day get a job and realize that they have to work and it would be easy? I don't see how it could be otherwise.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:43 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,438 times
Quote:
I think the whole idea of one generation being a certain way and another generation being a certain way is absurd.
Life changes...people don't.

All of history didn't consist of only the 20th century...what about all those other hundreds and hundreds of "generations"? Were they all really so different than the ones before or the ones after? No, just "people" reacting to their situation.
Great post, I completely agree. The person who said that free healthcare and education should not happen is silly. They are probably retired.

Did you know that 37.2% of our federal budget goes to social security and medicare. Meaning 37.2% of your federal taxes are paying for old people. And, 19.4% goes to the military, so essentially we are spending all of our money on old people and doing nothing about our future. Most European countries cover college and healthcare, instead of spending their money on dying people.

The best way to end a cycle of poverty, would be to offer education. Most people in the ghetto realize that college would be impossible to obtain so they settle for a life on the street selling drugs.

The US has their priorities all wrong.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Uh... doesn't that more or less describe our upcoming entitlements crisis? Billing the youth to pay out benefits to the elderly? Truth is, if you live more than a few years past 67. you're going to get more back in benefits than you ever paid into the system, and that slack money has to come from someone else.
Absolutely! But had Congress not raided the Social Security Trust Fund so often rather than practice saying no, or managing better, then SS would not be an entitlement.

Even in saying that, I agree with your premise.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Absolutely! But had Congress not raided the Social Security Trust Fund so often rather than practice saying no, or managing better, then SS would not be an entitlement.
No one is raiding the SSTF. The concept is a 64-oz can worth of right-wing kool-aid. SS benefits are meanwhile an entitlement in the same sense as is payment of a valid claim under an automobile insurance policy on which the agreed premiums have all been paid...

Old 04-26-2008, 06:23 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Sag... The SSTF was raided often and sacrificially during the 1960's & 1970's. It built interstate highways, damns, and more.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:59 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Sag... The SSTF was raided often and sacrificially during the 1960's & 1970's. It built interstate highways, damns, and more.
More mythology. All of the payroll taxes that came to rest for a time in the SSTF during the 60's and 70's were used during the 60's and 70's to pay the scheduled benefits of SS retirees, survivors, and the disabled. Volumes in the Trust Fund in those days were of course tiny in comparison to what flows into the account today. It wasn't until the revsions of 1983 that signfiicant surplus balances began to be built up within the system, this as the result of baby-boomers having agreed to tax themselves nearly double what would then have been necessary to stabilize the system on a pay-as-you-go basis in order to build up the reserves that would eventually be necessary to carry SS through the demographic blip that their own retirements would create. Any talk of the SSTF having been "raided" by anyone is propagandist double-speak, and anyone who has spent what little time it takes to learn how the system actually operates knows that immediately...

Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think there is a sense among younger workers that the Baby Boomers and earlier generations had it pretty good, and now they are "pulling up the drawbridge" behind them via strategies like outsourcing, reduction of job security, exploding education and healthcare costs, and so on. Basically, Boomers are seen as not being loyal to anyone but themselves.
Add on top of that, scamming them in k-12, through pure brainwashing. The highschool counselors today don't tell you that all the valuable degrees were earned 40 years ago! That's a slight detail left out of most highschools today.

The list goes on and on and on. I dont think gen y is necessarily stupid, I think a lot of them are following the wrong programming. They're paying attention to celebrity gossip, tv trivia, misinformation/trivia from the media instead of bettering themselves. Gen Y was not told of a clear path of success in highschool. I think that's why they're so splintered and confused in their 20's, myspace, facebook, twitter...is that going to help them economically? Is that going to help pay their healthcare? Why does this generation spend so much time on trivia?

As a gen y'er (age 31), I think boomer information has almost been (purposeful) misinformation. It's almost like it's been a conspiracy to make us childlike, make us confused, make us unmotivated. A lot of highschool brainwashing to overcome. The boomer teachers I had in the 90's at highschool knew nothing about preparing us for the 2000's. They gave terrible advice. I think they subtly indoctrinated us early into celebrity culture. They played the OJ simpson trial for us in class, that was "newsworthy". What a way to indoctrinate naive and impressionable 11th graders. I dont think they wanted gen y to pay attention to how they were "pulling up the drawbridge"., or pay attention to information that could affect their life. Much easier to distract you with trivia. And make trivia seem important!

-Also, the idea of gen y workers starting out and expecting to shoot straight to the top, where does that come from? Possibly from gen y'ers getting constant self esteem, happy marks, everyone can play at dodgeball from their school years? If you treat everyone as if they're a star in school, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect that in their 20's and 30's.

The whole self esteem, happy marks in school did not realistically prepare gen y for the work place.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Yeah ... that was said by Plato.

What's ironic about this thread is that the new generation is burdened with fixing the mess you all left for us. We are looking at your obsession with oil and the suburban dream and retiring to warm climates that suck coal for air conditioning and steal water from elsewhere, and wondering how you could be so self-serving in your decisions.

And yet, you call us the self-centered ones...

Plus, we're fixing all of this in a world where buying a house, getting an education when a bachelors degree hardly gets you anything anymore, and owning a car are multiple times more expensive than they ever were in the 1960s, even adjusted for inflation.

So, with all due respect to what your generation did positively contribute to our society, please back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies