Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 11:58 PM

16,583 posts, read 8,605,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
+1

Bad things are already happening leveled at America by China.

Yes, we are already under attack.

I hope Trump shuts China out and down to protect us.
Trump has a fine line he must walk for the time being, as he knows we need to be stronger and get our economy back to where he had it just a few months ago.
Then, he will be in a better position to address many of the OP's concerns from a position of strength.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 03:36 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
They aint going nowhere. They'll close down temporarily due to C-19, and you'll notice 1/4th of the meat aisle clear out. Then, your smug reply will look really dumb, and you'll realize I was right.

China is taking control of our domestic food production. Please spend 15 minutes researching it.

China withheld covid-19 meds & supplies to us, and wouldnt even allow 3M's operation in China to ship masks to us.

Now, China is right here in our homeland buying up our land, farms, food company's, and your response is a smug attempt at humor. You are so ill-informed its sickens me.

Aside from this topic, I've admired your comments here on C-D, FatBob...repped you many times. It's now your time to wake up to what I'm trying my best to tell you.

If you think our gov't or media's going to sound the alarms, you are sadly mistaken. They are making bank on it.

It's hard to tell where meat is from, packaging and labeling don't help much after Obama let foreign meats be labeled as product of USA.

But a good start is......Don't but any Smithfield branded products.

Don't but any frozen, hermetically sealed meats.

Seek out smaller meat markets and look for grass fed beef.

There's a small family owned meat processor near me that has their own store.

I'd love to see a return of actual butcher shops.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:35 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It's hard to tell where meat is from, packaging and labeling don't help much after Obama let foreign meats be labeled as product of USA.

But a good start is......Don't but any Smithfield branded products.

Don't but any frozen, hermetically sealed meats.

Seek out smaller meat markets and look for grass fed beef.

There's a small family owned meat processor near me that has their own store.

I'd love to see a return of actual butcher shops.
Your first statement is spot on! The only reason that I know this is because I feed my pets raw. I would not have taken the time to find out where things come from in the meat department if it was just me, but for my pets, there are some meats that they should not eat raw if the meat comes from certain places. (Example: PNW salmon. There's a snail or worm or whatever the heck it is that gets into the salmon. And unless you deep freeze, (not just freeze in your fridge) that salmon for 1-2 weeks, it can kill your pet, cat and dog. But salmon from other areas do not have that same issue.)

That's when I realized that many meats claimed to be products of the USA are actually not products of the USA. I won't bore you with the conversation I had with the meat guy. He was knowledgeable, but probably would rather have not had that conversation.

Meat is already priced really high, except for chicken. I remember when I was growing up, ground beef was the go to for those looking to stretch their dollars. We had a lot of meat loaf, Hamburger Helper, and other things that you could do with ground beef.

Now? That stuff is almost $4 a pound, and has been that in the last 3 states I've lived in. It's insane.

Grass fed beef, for example, while it might be better, is twice as expensive. And that's the problem. We have a lot of people in this country who cannot afford grass fed, organic food. It's very expensive. It's not like buying a made in America piece of furniture. You buy that once. You may pay more, but you buy it once. Food? You have to keep buying it. Too many people can't afford even the regular stuff, let alone grass fed and/or organic.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:58 AM

25,730 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There's a big Brazilian conglomerate that controls a good portion of our meat production in this country. China isn't the only one!
Wow, isn't that just great.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:59 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Good.

Smithfield products suck.

They make it harder to find decent ribs to smoke.

Good riddance.
You want to get rid of 40 000 American jobs + a thousands of American farms who provide them pork etc, because the new owner is from Hong Kong?

Smithfield products are made in USA, and the Hong Kong based WH Group is not owned buy the Chinese government. It is a publicly traded company, which means they have thousands of owners around the world.

You guys are so easily played, and your first thought is always to get the government involved in everything.

The OP has a habit of making baseless claims, and then attaching a link which does nothing to support the claims, and this thread is no different. The article does not even hint anything about "China moving to control US food supply". The only person who says that is the OP, who read it in Facebook or Twitter.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-09-2020 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-09-2020, 06:03 AM

25,730 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Our food supply, medical supplies. Nothing critical should have any sort of Chinese control or influence.
This seems to obvious, yet our politicians are allowing it they are so corrupt, they cannot refuse kickbacks.

The corruption is systemic, and they no longer have One ounce of patriotism left.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:26 AM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Wow, isn't that just great.
And when POTUS Trump paid farmers who lost their market due to the tariffs, the 2 Brazilian brothers owners of this company got 62 million taxpayer bailout bucks.

Part of the duty of consumers in a free market economy is knowing who you buy from.

Americans like low prices so most don't give a damn.

Each and every time we buy a product from China we are enriching them. That enables them to buy out the USA.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:34 AM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
This seems to obvious, yet our politicians are allowing it they are so corrupt, they cannot refuse kickbacks.

The corruption is systemic, and they no longer have One ounce of patriotism left.
You might want to start with our current Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao. Her Chinese uncle and dad own a shipping company that brings products from China.

IIRC, she also has an interest in a rock and gravel company that sells to companies that build highways. At least when those companies buy concrete, it's the Mexicans making money.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:41 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Each and every time we buy a product from China we are enriching them. That enables them to buy out the USA.
Smithfield products are not from China, they are from US. The company is called Smithfield, because it was founded in Smithfield, VA. They employ 40 000 people in US, and purchase farm products from thousands of US farms.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:44 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Do you realize how much US debt China owns?!! We are in NO position to start ordering them around!

This is true, however, they are HUGELY dependent upon the U.S. market for their revenue. We do have a lot of power over them because of that. That is why Trump was able to get better Trade deals with them. and that's why they want him OUT of office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies