Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 10:29 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
People should just buy for a week or 2 weeks and stay TFH. But I made a prescription run for my mother and in the Wal Mart I saw: A person returning a basketball backboard. Some guy buying an air conditioner. Somebody buying a basketball backboard. Two kids pushing bicycles to the registers with their parents with a cart of Easter candy and baskets. Somebody buying a big screen TV. And then all the TP, food and paper towel people. Most of these people panicked and then bought stuff to last being home a month. But then they got bored real quick and go to the only game in town. Wal Mart. And since they have extra spending money and more time on their hands, they apparently have all the time in the world to be out in public. Where is the damn logic in banning people from going to parks when they let them congregate in grocery stores?
In PA these people are the reasons the cases are still climbing, you head west and into the sticks and people seem to take it a little more seriously. Their counts are way lower even given lower populations. Idiots live in cities it seems.
Lots of ways around this. Have your last name be allowed only one day a week. No picture ID, no entry. No kids allowed. Make a list of allowable purchases. Food, medicine, toiletries, cleaning products, maybe some automotive or hardware.
I agree. People like that should be shot on sight or at least whipped in public.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are talking about Kentucky?
Vermont did this on 4/1 to reduce foot traffic. Maybe some parts of Ky, too?

Online ordering, home delivery and curbside pick-up of non- essentials continues to be available.

Some big box stores have let it rip, while others, like COSTCO ( at least in my area) have imposed strict limits
on the number of shoppers in the store, have 6’ spacing tapes everywhere, separated inbound from outbound, engage in tactfully reminding shoppers to maintain distances, wiping down carts, etc. they also post things that are temporarily out of stock.

These tactics, along with how most folk now have a year’s supply of TP, have substantially reduced foot traffic.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Just curious, but what is non essential at Lowes? Like the garden center or something?

I agree about blocking non essential areas, and I know someone who works at Walmart and plenty of workers are voicing the same as well from his experience at least.

Well, the only reason Walmart, Target, etc are open is because they sell groceries, that is unfair to stores who sell similar products but absent groceries. Food is considered essential, thus they are allowed to stay open, other items like clothing is not, in which many clothing retail have been closed.
Nurseries/ garden centers are open in my area. They sell veggi and fruit seedlings.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:33 AM

19,621 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
What is essential, is almost impossible to apply in a "blanket" statement. For example, TWO days before our stay home order went into effect our gas clothes dryer died and I had to go find another one. My kids are doing school online from home at my ex's but the school district could only provide one Chromebook which they have to share and there is a couple classes that happen at the same time between the two of them. I've had to piece together another computer and pickup a small TV "curbside" to use as a monitor because so many people are doing work from home that any place with computers is STRIPPED BARE.
Excellent. Making lemonade out of those lemons.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:34 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why should they stop selling nonessential items?

He believes in chemtrails and that COVID-19 was engineered. He probably thinks selling "non-essential" items is a conspiracy to infect people. Enough said.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:35 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Not in KY.

I wonder what other states have deemed clothing to be nonessential.
Cuomo didn't list clothing stores as essential. Of course, he and everyone else know people will buy clothes at stores selling 'essential' items. That fact of life is what's killing businesses that primarily sell products deemed 'non-essential.'

Old 04-09-2020, 10:36 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
There is no such thing as hand me downs? A kid can’t sleep in a parents old-tshirt? You cant daydream if you’re bored? Call a neighbor and borrow a book? (that they leave at your door).

What do you think people did before big box stores existed? When going into town to stock up was something you only did once every couple of months?

On this board - of all places!! - I can’t believe the prevailing argument is that people must have constant access to mass produced consumer goods.
The virus can live on surfaces for days. How is borrowing a book from a neighbor any less risky than getting it from the library? If the neighbor was infected and didn't know it then the virus would still be on the book whether or not the neighbor handed the book to you directly or left it at your door. How does that prevent the spread of the virus?

I have never lived anywhere where the norm was only going to the store was once every couple of months. Even my grandmother, who survived the depression, went to the store at least once or twice a month. She taught me to keep cabinets well stocked as much as possible. I'd been better stocked if my apartment didn't keep getting robbed randomly.

The solution to boredom is to sit around daydreaming for several months? Really? That is not mentally healthy whatsoever. What quality of life is that?

Old 04-09-2020, 10:41 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,655 times
Quote:
The virus can live on surfaces for days. How is borrowing a book from a neighbor any less risky than getting it from the library? If the neighbor was infected and didn't know it then the virus would still be on the book whether or not the neighbor handed the book to you directly or left it at your door. How does that prevent the spread of the virus?

I have never lived anywhere where the norm was only going to the store was once every couple of months. Even my grandmother, who survived the depression, went to the store at least once or twice a month. She taught me to keep cabinets well stocked as much as possible. I'd been better stocked if my apartment didn't keep getting robbed randomly.

The solution to boredom is to sit around daydreaming for several months? Really? That is not mentally healthy whatsoever. What quality of life is that?
Leave the book outside for a few days if you are worried about cooties. Is that not what you would do with a library book?

Order online. Order for curbside pickup. I'm not suggesting you can't buy anything but food for a year, but nobody needs to saunter up and down the aisles browsing. There is nothing you can't buy online. If you're worried your kid will outgrow their underpants, order some online now.

The solution to boredom isn't endangering other people because you don't have the patience to wait for an order to be delivered or the imagination to think of anything to amuse yourself that does'n't require a trip to Walmart.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:42 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,655 times
Quote:
What is the point of being alive if all you can do is sit at home every day staring at the walls or a TV for months? What quality of life is that? It's like a prison. There's no purpose to being alive if that's how you're forced to exist.
Yes, those are the only two options. Going to Target every day or staring at four walls.

You can't walk around the block, you can't teach yourself to cook, you can't order anything at all online.

Literally the only options in life are shopping in person or withering away into a husk of your former self.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:14 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Most people can think of more than that to do at home.

You don't have to stay inside all the time unless you tested positive and are quarantined then of course you suck it up for a couple of weeks.

Is there a misunderstanding some have that we are forced inside like the door is barred in a Chinese apartment building? Or is it a lot of hyperbole.
There isn't much to do in this building I live in. They canceled bingo and all the activities, which were almost nonexistent to begin with. We aren't allowed visitors. The libraries are closed. Nearly everything is closed. Most places closed the restrooms to the public, so with my disabilities I cannot go there. I have to use the restroom a lot. There's not much to do at all around here. The town shuts down by around 9PM for the most part now.

I'd been trying to find clothes to fit for a while since someone stole most of mine and physically destroyed some of the others that were left. The crotch was ripped out in some pants, for example. I have to wear all cotton clothes because of skin allergies, and that's really hard to find. They want to put spandex in everything these days. So, I often have to shop flea markets and thrift stores for clothes. Sizes are so varying, so I pretty much have to try things on. The flea markets and thrift stores are all closed down. Wal-mart clothes are not all cotton anymore and haven't been in a long time. Someone had even stole all of my jeans I had that I was saving if I could lose some weight. Expensive jeans that I had for a while. They only missed one of the jeans, and it's too small of a size for me to shrink into any time soon. I used to be really skinny before I got so sick that I couldn't exercise much and the weight gain happened.

They canceled the bus services. A lot of people have trouble even getting to the store to get groceries now. Not everyone has a car. Prior to this, some of the people here were so bored they'd pay the $1 and just ride around on the bus all day just to have something to do.

Some people sit outside the building here and talk a little, but since no one can do anything, they sit and talk about how bored they are. This is also very boring.

Can't go for walks much. I have to rest a lot because of my asthma and blood pressure problems, and the city removed all of the benches to keep the homeless people from having a place to sit. I guess they hoped the homeless would move out of town or something. With everything shut down, I can't even sit down inside some place to rest during a walk. There's nowhere to use a restroom. Most places no longer allow the public to use the restroom even if they are open.

So, there's really nothing to do but sit and stare at walls or the TV. Sometimes, I go online and play spades, but even that gets boring after a while. Plus, people keep either not talking or only talking about the virus stuff. Makes it harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies