Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 02:07 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
85% of the COVID-19 fatalities in NYC occur alongside other health problems.
That does not mean they were all on "their last legs".

Hypertension for example, I have a relative who has had it for over 20 years now, yet this virus could kill her, she has existing conditions, but hardly on her last legs.

Having health problems does not mean you are almost about to die. There are numerous people with all sorts of problems out there going along perfectly fine in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 02:16 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
It's absolutely different, this virus is much worse than the flu. It can result in permanent lung damage even in healthy people.

It can also result in persistent latent infection even if you recover from it.
That doesn't change the fact that most deaths are people with other health problems.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:45 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
That doesn't change the fact that most deaths are people with other health problems.

Quote:
About half of non elderly Americans have one or more pre-existing health conditions, according to a recent brief by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, or HHS. Approximately 130 million nonelderly people have pre-existing conditions nationwide. Nationally, the most common pre-existing conditions were high blood pressure (44 million people), behavioral health disorders (45 million people), high cholesterol (44 million people), asthma and chronic lung disease (34 million people), and osteoarthritis and other joint disorders (34 million people).
https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...onal-district/

The hardest hit population is actually the healthcare workers - doctors, nurses and EMT. With COVID-19, the more a person is exposed, the higher the risk of infection (no other health problems needed).

Quote:
health-care workers have fallen ill with covid-19, and more are quarantined after exposure to the virus, an expected but worrisome development as the U.S. health system girds for an anticipated surge in infections.“The risk to our health-care workers is one of the great vulnerabilities of our health-care system in an epidemic like this,” he said. “Most ERs and health-care systems are running at capacity in normal times.”

In previous outbreaks of infectious disease, and in other countries where the current pandemic arrived earlier, health-care workers have experienced a disproportionate share of infections.

But the risks of caring for infectious, seriously ill people under the pressure of a pandemic are almost impossible to avoid. In hard-hit Italy, for example, 20 percent of health-care professionals in the Lombardy region have become infected with the virus, according to an update Friday in the Lancet medical journal. In China, 3,387 health-care workers were infected by Feb. 24, almost all in Hubei province, the center of the outbreak, according to Chinese health authorities.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...2cc_story.html

Quote:
A 24-year-old Pompton Lakes EMT died from complications with the coronavirus, friends and state officials said. Kevin Leiva, an EMT in North Bergen and at Saint Clare’s Dover Hospital, died from complications with the coronavirus Tuesday, said Cesar Perez, an EMS supervisor in Passaic for Saint Clare’s. He leaves behind his wife Marina.

Leiva is the second EMT who worked at Saint Clare’s to have died from complications with the coronavirus. He died one week to the day after the death of Israel Tolentino Jr., a 33-year-old Passaic firefighter and EMT at Saint Clare’s.
https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...irus-dies.html

The second hardest hit population is transit workers and anyone (like cashiers) who is repeatedly exposed to the virus.

Quote:
NEW YORK — In just five weeks, the coronavirus outbreak has claimed the lives of 41 transit workers in New York City, the Transit Workers Union said.

COVID-19 is killing MTA workers at a rate three-times faster than firefighters and police officers in the city.

While mass transit has continued operating through the pandemic, the contagion has left roughly 1,500 subway and bus workers positive for COVID-19, and another 6,000 quarantined and home from work.
https://www.pix11.com/news/coronavir...taggering-rate

Old 04-09-2020, 02:52 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
"Other health problems" does not equate to "on their last legs."

I had an aunt with type 1 diabetes die recently. She was diagnosed with diabetes at age 17. She died at age 84. Would anyone honestly say she was "on her last legs" for nearly 70 years?!

Most of the health issues that are associated with increased mortality from COVID-19 are disorders that people can successfully live with for many years or even decades. And I don't mean live with as an invalid in the nursing home, I mean living an active and productive life.

Bill O'Reilly needs to look in the mirror. What he'll see there is the image of the typical COVID-19 fatality. Perhaps he'd reconsider his choice of words if he did so.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:03 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Yes, and if you look at my posting history I think you'll see I've been very up front about the fact that people need to take personal responsibility for either own health to avoid being vulnerable to diseases like this, especially when it concerns major risk factors like obesity and smoking.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:12 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Not expecting him to say anything that is not raunchy and tasteless for a time where people are suffering in large numbers - he is just a vulgar human being
And a wealthy one also.
Does anybody really thing Bill gives a rat's a$$ what people think of him?
I doubt that very much.

I remember when he was a nobody out here in Los Angeles.
He was a news broadcaster on one of the local stations.
He has come a long way since those days, and he is well aware of his wealth, and accomplishments, so what people have to say about him, I would assume , means very little to him.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:19 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Family friend in their early 40's with none of the risk factors and in excellent health. Doesn't smoke or even drink. Has four kids at home, the youngest is six I believe. Caught the disease. It went very very badly. Now he's sitting in ICU in an induced coma on a ventilator. Has been for a couple weeks now.

********* Bill O'Reilly!!

Old 04-09-2020, 03:25 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Bill O'Reilly says these things for the same reason any other media personality does: To generate controversy and get attention.

Most of you read this thread to get all outraged over nothing.

If everyone ignored him, he'd go away.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:25 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Family friend in their early 40's with none of the risk factors and in excellent health. Doesn't smoke or even drink. Has four kids at home, the youngest is six I believe. Caught the disease. It went very very badly. Now he's sitting in ICU in an induced coma on a ventilator. Has been for a couple weeks now.

********* Bill O'Reilly!!

So that means everyone reacts like that. Do you know every health issue he has, or MAY have, even the ones HE didn't know about? Seriously, keep your anecdotes.

If we can just save one life, think of the children. Ban everything!

Old 04-09-2020, 03:28 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
That does not mean they were all on "their last legs".

Hypertension for example, I have a relative who has had it for over 20 years now, yet this virus could kill her, she has existing conditions, but hardly on her last legs.

Having health problems does not mean you are almost about to die. There are numerous people with all sorts of problems out there going along perfectly fine in life.
You are absolutely right.
I was diagnosed with HIV in 1988.
I never, for one minute stressed out because of it, not even when the doctor told me I tested positive.
One of my friends lasted 6 months after being tested, and he died from stress, not the HIV.
In those early days, I lost a lot of friends to that disease.
I am now 81, in what I and my doctors feel , is exceptional health for my age.
I have always taken care of myself by eating right, with proper exercise, and having moral fortitude.

During this current pandemic, I am being wise, in trying not to put myself at risk, and doing what is required of me.

The only one in this universe that can, or should determine I am "on my last legs", is God himself., and to date, he has not made that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies