Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 09:34 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,355,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My sister fosters dogs. She says the shelters are empty because people were lonely so they came and got dogs.
Some government shelters in my area have stopped taking owner surrenders'. It was reported on the news. Not sure if they're taking stray animals or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 09:34 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Then why is money going to corporations that don't pay any taxes at all?
Besides Amazon? Are you saying NO corporation pays taxes? Dead wrong.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Heckuva judgement to be making about other people based on a single, arbitrary opinion with no logical backing.

Know what? I don't think you deserve to be posting online. You don't write at the same level as an established novelist or English professor, so no social media for you.

Seems kinda stupid, doesn't it?

If those people achieved those salaries on their own merits and hard work, who the hell are you to say they didn't deserve them?
It's a leftist mentality. You know...'you didn't build that'?

Old 04-09-2020, 09:36 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Your strategy leads to extreme polarization and division in society. We need LESS, not MORE division. MORE division is exactly what the ruling donor class wants and promotes relentlessly.

When everyone gets it, society becomes a little less divided. Whenever inequality gets out of control, society always, without exception, becomes more polarized and divided.
It's already divided. Many of us do not "get" checks.

There are the producers in the nation and there are the consumers. That will never change.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The beauty of this is that if the middle class pays the highest tax rates, which is so frequently falsely asserted by both team red and team blue, they would get the highest amount in their checks. How can anyone complain about that?
Quote:
Can you source this so I can repost?
The China meme.

Quote:
A 4k a month earner can cut their expenses by $2,350/month. That's the exact same percentage.

Like I said, the beauty of this dispute is that if the middle class pays the highest tax rates, which is so frequently falsely asserted by both team red and team blue, they would get the highest amount in their checks. How can anyone complain about that?
Not sure where you are getting that the middle class pays the highest tax rates. That's also flat out false.

89,013 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I used to work at a food bank but was sad at the people who came (able bodied people) who would sit outside smoking cigarettes waiting for the doors to open.
I volunteered at a food pantry, too, in the metro Chicago area and sometimes filled in at other locations. I saw several people "make the rounds" and hit food pantry after food pantry, taking the maximum allowed at each one. They just didn't want to work and took all the freebies they could get.

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times
Quote:
Like I said, the beauty of this dispute is that if the middle class pays the highest tax rates, which is so frequently falsely asserted by both team red and team blue, they would get the highest amount in their checks. How can anyone complain about that?
....and they'll be the one's paying for it, so all they will have done is increase their own taxes. Don't you see how that's stupid?

When you are the one's paying for it, and the vast majority of you don't need it, why would you want to do it? It simply doesn't make sense. You are already paying for those on the bottom being bailed out, why double the cost simply to give more to those who don't need it?

You're asking to raise your own taxes for no reason.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Not sure where you are getting that the middle class pays the highest tax rates. That's also flat out false.
I know the middle class doesn't pay the highest federal income tax rates, or even the totality of all local, state, and federal taxes, but many people insist they do. It defies truth and logic, but many people are easily brainwashed by propaganda.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:42 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times
Quote:
It's a leftist mentality. You know...'you didn't build that'?
Not in the least, it's "if you built that, you are better able to weather the storm than those who didn't...and if you are capable of building that, you are more capable of building it back than those who can't build it to begin with"

It's common sense.

I'm not suggesting these things be permanent, I'd be VERY against that, but due to the extreme emergency, this kind of thing is necessary to prevent a total collapse of the market and to prevent millions from dying from the virus.

Since that massive cost has to be shouldered by those nearer the top, why the hell would they want to massively increase that cost on themselves by shelling out considerably more to those who need it the least or not at all? It doesn't make sense.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
....and they'll be the one's paying for it, so all they will have done is increase their own taxes. Don't you see how that's stupid?
It's only stupid if they don't get a check that's proportionate to what they pay in federal income tax.

Quote:
When you are the one's paying for it, and the vast majority of you don't need it, why would you want to do it?
There's that unsubstantiated value judgment again. How do you know who does and doesn't need it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies