Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 10:01 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times

Advertisements

Booked marked this thread.
Philosophically interesting.
I can always unmark this thread later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 10:02 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it doesn't. The cutoff from receiving a check is $100k income for one person, $200k for a married couple.

What in the hell are you talking about? Anything given to small businesses must be used to pay workers salaries, rent, etc., or it converts to a loan plus interest. They don't get to keep that money and spend it as they choose.
No, they get to keep their businesses going and pay their workers rather than having their businesses collapse. That's pretty valuable.

Again, if you are among those who make enough to not get a check yet you are about to be in financial ruin due to bad life choices, I feel bad for you, but you aren't exactly the people I'm worried about. Don't worry, if you end up losing it all, you'll be able to join the unwashed masses not paying any taxes! Won't you be happy about that?

Or worse, you could simply rebuild, and join the rest of us paying off the cost of the already ridiculous spending caused by this pandemic.

Either way, there's no reason to make it worse simply because you personally are terrible with money.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:07 AM

Default Worry about even getting the promised $$$$

Don't think DJT can meet his purposed distribution date of funds, today, BTW.
I dont think he consulted with the IRS people to see if they and contractors can meet the deadlines. Probably not since he has alienated so many people who have the expertise and who have move to higher paying and more prestigious positions.
YMMMV.
Kudos to IRS workers if they can do the job.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:10 AM

Default Getting the $$$$ ?

We filed late in 2019 and paid by CC.
I paid quarterly by paper check.
So, I am not sure if we will get a Direct Deposit or wait a few more months for a paper check
YMMMV

Old 04-09-2020, 10:17 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
No, they get to keep their businesses going and pay their workers rather than having their businesses collapse. That's pretty valuable.
So, you're conceding that the employees, themselves aren't valuable? That's interesting.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:23 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
I volunteered at a food pantry, too, in the metro Chicago area and sometimes filled in at other locations. I saw several people "make the rounds" and hit food pantry after food pantry, taking the maximum allowed at each one. They just didn't want to work and took all the freebies they could get.
I don't doubt it. I was a cashier in a grocery store back when I was in high school/college. I could spot a food stamp order halfway down the aisle. When all of us were cutting back on red meat because the cost has skyrocketed, they would pull up carts full of it. When you get something for nothing, there are always people that take advantage. Too bad many can't see that.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:23 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The checks are intended to help those who lost their paychecks during this Nationwide shutdown pay their rent, utilities and buy food. Not everyone needs it, many disagree with this Leftist ploy of a universal paycheck.

We will get a check, we don’t needed it. We will make a donation of our choice. You call that “Divisionâ€.
I call that common sense. It would be really funny if many decided to make their donation a political one.

The Paycheck Protection Program is the most important part of the CARES ACT. It restores paychecks until people can go back to work, it saves small businesses. It is working so well that it needs more funding.

The Democrats refused to give more funding to Dave these small businesses and paychecks to employees.
The Democrats are in Hostage Mode again with Nancy wanting a Christmas Tree full of give-aways to her .cronies and Leftist Agenda items.

Disgusting people ... Remember the Hostage ?Takers in November

Doesn’t surprise me a bit .... FREE,FREE,FREE !
They don’t feel so guilty when it’s a case of “everyone gets FREE,FREE,FREE.
It’s not really so “leftist†when the Republicans (incl Trump) are just as overzealous in giving out the stimulus checks. Sen Hawley (R) Missouri was the first one to ring the alarm that poor ppl weren’t going to receive the full amount. Trump appears very excited to support a 2nd giveaway now.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:26 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
So, you're conceding that the employees, themselves aren't valuable? That's interesting.
Some employees are valuable, some are not. I firmly believe that something similar to Price's Law usually applies. If you have a workforce of 25, you probably have 5 employees that are irreplaceable or close to irreplaceable. If you have 1000 employees, it's probably closer to 32 employees that are invaluable. The rest are probably replacement level or close to that.

What I'm saying is that being able to keep your employees and keep your business when otherwise you'd lose both, is valuable. You can't very well keep producing if you lose your facility, your equipment, and your employees. Since the government shut down the economy, that was exactly what was going to happen to most businesses across the country without the ridiculously expensive spending package.

If you are a "builder", that should be enough to keep you set.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:31 AM

Default Declining the $$$$?

Not even sure that you can decline the $$.
Just let things be and distribute the $$ as fast and as broadly as possible. Keep it simple.
We personally don't need the $$.

We will allocate some of the $$ to a tenant reserve. One of our rentals, tenants of 2 years are casualties to this crisis. We will see what develops. We are not Ogres, but our margins have been shrinking since we have not raised the rents for 5 years on this unit. Probably a class B, very nice location in Seattle.

We have increase some donations to non-profits and community services. How much more giving, will depend on what develops.
YMMMV

Old 04-09-2020, 10:35 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
A 4k a month earner can cut their expenses by $2,350/month. That's the exact same percentage.

Like I said, the beauty of this dispute is that if the middle class pays the highest tax rates, which is so frequently falsely asserted by both team red and team blue, they would get the highest amount in their checks. How can anyone complain about that?
What income would this person live on?!! The first thing taken from their checks are FICA/Medicare right off the bat, about 9-10%, then state sales tax. If they are offered health insurance through employer, they are certain to pay a portion of the cost. Of course, this person still has to pay rent/mortgage, property taxes, insurance, phone, electricity, cable/internet (add taxes to all of those utilities), auto expenses, food, misc expenses.
To save what you are proposing implies that the person is still living with mom and dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies