Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 06:51 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I hope that all those that say "Trump is not my president" realize that, if they cash the checks (OK, or use the direct deposit)-that Trump is not just your president, but your sugar daddy.
I pay taxes it's merely my own money coming back to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 06:55 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I pay taxes it's merely my own money coming back to me.
If that's true, why aren't people who pay more in taxes getting bigger checks instead of getting nothing?

Old 04-09-2020, 07:03 AM

1,768 posts, read 716,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Your strategy leads to extreme polarization and division in society. We need LESS, not MORE division. MORE division is exactly what the ruling donor class wants and promotes relentlessly.

When everyone gets it, society becomes a little less divided. Whenever inequality gets out of control, society always, without exception, becomes more polarized and divided.
Everyone gets it?
I pay too much in taxes so I get 0$.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:08 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
Everyone gets it?
I pay too much in taxes so I get 0$.
Yes, the ruling class makes sure division and polarization stays at an elevated level. They need that division to make sure they can stay in power.

Pay into the system, get nothing. Pay nothing, get everything.

And people wonder whether the ruling donor class know what they are doing. LOL.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:12 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
I hope that all those that say "Trump is not my president" realize that, if they cash the checks (OK, or use the direct deposit)-that Trump is not just your president, but your sugar daddy.

Nonsense! Read the Constitution, Congress controls the purse strings.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:16 AM

558 posts, read 338,409 times
Laid off a few years ago. Qualified for $10,000 in unemployment. I could have collected, pretended to look for work, but who is going to hire a 60-year cell phone programmer? Had a generous severance, company stock, etc. so I let it go. My salary cap allowed two young people, ten times smarter than me, to get started.

2020, here we are. That $10K is going to someone who needs it.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:23 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
There is a reason why the people who seek to foment as much polarization and division as possible push "means testing".

Means testing is an age-old strategy to ensure division is created. Its the ol' "makers and takers" again. So people who pay into the system get nothing while those who dont get everything. How can someone seriously support such polarization and division blows my mind.
I completely agree with the bolded. I read your previous post to mean that wanting to help someone less fortunate was "divisive".

Now I get what you're saying.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:24 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,383 times
Quote:
Your strategy leads to extreme polarization and division in society. We need LESS, not MORE division. MORE division is exactly what the ruling donor class wants and promotes relentlessly.

When everyone gets it, society becomes a little less divided. Whenever inequality gets out of control, society always, without exception, becomes more polarized and divided.
This is the dumbest thing I've read on these pages in awhile. The fact that you believe this nonsense blows my mind.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:53 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If that's true, why aren't people who pay more in taxes getting bigger checks instead of getting nothing?
Because those people always bear the burden that is the majority who pay no taxes, which is fine because those who pay no taxes need the money most.

I'm not typically in favor of these kinds of massive redistribution of wealth programs but it has to be done when the government is preventing half the country from working.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:56 AM

484 posts, read 467,992 times
Quote:

Precisely. Three years of constant whining but so many of the same people guilty of that won't think twice about cashing this check.
If he's "not your president," give the money to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies