Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 09:24 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why do you think only some instead of everyone needs help?

That's a value judgment. Who's in more need of help? A $200,000 income household that's about to go bankrupt? Or a $50,000 income household that isn't?
I have no more sympathy for a person making $200k that can't make it work than I do for someone making $40k. No matter how much you make, you need to live within your means.

When I got out of college, I made $13k a year. I didn't have cable or even a decent TV for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 09:26 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Issue checks that are exactly proportionate to the federal income tax one pays.
The beauty of this is that if the middle class pays the highest tax rates, which is so frequently falsely asserted by both team red and team blue, they would get the highest amount in their checks. How can anyone complain about that?

Old 04-09-2020, 09:26 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Anyone can cut their monthly costs but only some are getting checks.
A person making 4k a month cannot cut their monthly costs by 10K, a person making 17K a month potentially can.

I'm sorry if you are afraid that you are so bad with money that you are about to go bankrupt, hopefully you learn lessons and rebuild....but if you make 200K a year, you aren't someone I'm concerned about....and I wouldn't want to inflate the cost I'm paying for the whole thing simply because you are terrible with money.

It's understandable for a waitress to be struggling right now because they are literally prevented from making a living by the government and they likely don't make enough to have sufficient savings. I'm okay paying a bit to help those types from starving or becoming homeless due to the government's actions.

It's unfortunate if you can't understand the difference, but it's not really my problem.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:27 AM

Can you source this so I can repost?

Old 04-09-2020, 09:27 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I will pay my tax bill with it. Easy come , easy go.
So you're going to take your money that the government sends back to you, and send it back to the government to pay a debt created by them taking your money from you in the first place?

They have you VERY well trained.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:30 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
A person making 4k a month cannot cut their monthly costs by 10K, a person making 17K a month potentially can.
A 4k a month earner can cut their expenses by $2,350/month. That's the exact same percentage.

Like I said, the beauty of this dispute is that if the middle class pays the highest tax rates, which is so frequently falsely asserted by both team red and team blue, they would get the highest amount in their checks. How can anyone complain about that?

Old 04-09-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I will pay my tax bill with it. Easy come , easy go.
Possibly, but you are still ahead by $1200.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
For those considering giving their stimulus money to a group, please consider a local animal rescue group. That's where mine in going.

Some local government shelters have stopped taking own surrenders' re Covid crisis. So animal rescue groups are being inundated with owner surrenders' because some people have lost their jobs or have to move. The groups are scrambling to find fosters and are strapped financially. When they foster, they pay for the food, medical care and necessities.

Animals need our help too.
My sister fosters dogs. She says the shelters are empty because people were lonely so they came and got dogs.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:31 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I agree. I'm giving all of it away, most of it to the food bank.
I used to work at a food bank but was sad at the people who came (able bodied people) who would sit outside smoking cigarettes waiting for the doors to open.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:33 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Heckuva judgement to be making about other people based on a single, arbitrary opinion with no logical backing.

Know what? I don't think you deserve to be posting online. You don't write at the same level as an established novelist or English professor, so no social media for you.

Seems kinda stupid, doesn't it?

If those people achieved those salaries on their own merits and hard work, who the hell are you to say they didn't deserve them?
If you are in the top 4% of wage earners in the country, which literally everyone making over 200K a year are, and you can't do any better than those in the bottom 20% then you don't deserve to be in the top 4% to begin with.

On top of that, the premise is stupid to begin with. Those in the upper brackets are the ones who pay for all of these programs to begin with, by ballooning the cost of the emergency program in order to give large payments to themselves the vast majority of which wouldn't be needed, they'd be only increasing the amount they'd have to pay in taxes.....so it would be very dumb. Sure it might help some of the more foolish members of that 4%, but it would screw the rest of them.

Sorry, but the emergency program is meant to help those in desperate need and those in the top 4% simply SHOULDN'T be among them. If they are, well, they'll either rebuild or they'll be replaced by someone more deserving. If you want to be at or near the top, you have to earn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies