Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 07:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Trump didn't shut people into their homes. Local governments did. Look at them and think about that the next time you vote.
Local government look to Federal government for guidance, and Trump provided instructions to shut down. If he had encouraged them to stay open, then most would have stayed open. Of course it's a "damn if you do, damn if you don't" situation, since pretty much every country was doing the same thing. IMO, the whole thing was way over-hyped and the admin used it to justify the astronomical bailout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 07:37 AM

14,236 posts, read 4,610,063 times
so is this Trump's economy now?

I thought this is Obama's economy before the pandemic?

Old 04-09-2020, 07:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
so is this Trump's economy now?

I thought this is Obama's economy before the pandemic?
Its interesting you thought it was Obama's

Old 04-09-2020, 07:39 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,610,366 times
If Trump wasn’t President we would have never had all those jobs to lose to a once in a century pandemic.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Local government look to Federal government for guidance, and Trump provided instructions to shut down. If he had encouraged them to stay open, then most would have stayed open. Of course it's a "damn if you do, damn if you don't" situation, since pretty much every country was doing the same thing. IMO, the whole thing was way over-hyped and the admin used it to justify the astronomical bailout.
oh, wow! so blue states like CA and NY are listening & obeying to the federal government/Trump now?

This is unheard of before the pandemic

Old 04-09-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Its interesting you thought it was Obama's
I, personally, never said it was Obama's economy.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:45 AM

32,120 posts, read 34,787,403 times
Quote:
He will take full credit for the bounce-back when the economy is re-opened, even thought it will have nothing to do with him. The bounce will be global since pretty much all countries have done the same thing, and are in the same situation.
I doubt that will happen during Trump's first-term. Even if cases drop in the summer, we'll still likely see a lot of restrictions to prevent a rebound of cases in the fall. And even if Trump got on TV and said "Okay, folks, all systems go," who is going to start planning a family vacation to Disney World or a couples retreat to Vegas?

Some states will recover much slower than others. Florida and Nevada are screwed. Georgia, which depends on transportation (i.e, Delta) and large conventions and sporting events, is not as screwed, but still screwed.

I don't think there will be a full bounce back for a while simply because people are not going to be eager to spend money for the rest of the year. Some smaller businesses won't exist by the time this is over. I suspect a lot of the Big Box stores will focus more on their online presence and shutter some of their brick and mortar locations.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It’s worse when the government pays you MORE to stay home than work, which is what we have with the extra $600 plus regular UE. Retail clerks, servers, garage attendants, etc., will end up with more money in their pocket than they did while employed.
That’s a huge variable dependent on the individual’s reported income and state UI cap on benefits. No two states have the same requirements or pay the same benefit or impose the same cap on weekly benefits.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:46 AM

15,873 posts, read 6,577,232 times
The indicators were that a normal business-cycle recession was on the horizon, so I think we were due some time in 2020-2021. This is a unique disaster though, and ultimately difficult to plan for in detail. It will be a challenge moving forward, regardless of who is at the helm. I think what we need to avoid is making it even worse.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:02 AM

32,120 posts, read 34,787,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The indicators were that a normal business-cycle recession was on the horizon, so I think we were due some time in 2020-2021. This is a unique disaster though, and ultimately difficult to plan for in detail. It will be a challenge moving forward, regardless of who is at the helm. I think what we need to avoid is making it even worse.
Trump is stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place. Keep the economy shut down and job losses will continue to mount, which will most certainly lead to electoral doom. This is the best thing to do for the long-term well-being of the country, however. "Open the economy" and the cases will spike, which will lead us right back to square one with the economy still in shambles.

The reality is that Trump has absolutely no control over this. He had control back in January when the first reports of COVID appeared in his Presidential Daily Briefing, which he undoubtedly did not read. If he wanted to save his "big beautiful economy" and preserve his chances of re-election, then it would have behooved him to throw the full resources of the federal government at COVID, which includes more than a travel ban against Chinese nationals.

This is now mostly in Mother Nature's hands. It's also in the hands of the American consumer. If we get cases down to a reasonably low level, how long will it take for a sense of normalcy to return and for families to start going back to MLB games, movie theaters, restaurants, Disney World, etc. I can't speak for anyone else here, but I probably won't start flying again until next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies