Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 08:42 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Don't worry, once the preplanned devastation bounces Trump from office, the media-political complex will go back to telling you good news and all will be right with the world again. Just have to wait until November, unfortunately.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:44 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I wish he would stop promoting the anti malarial drug until they did more thests though.
You've been sold a load of crap.

The drug works. The anti-Trump crowd is using the fact that it hasn't wound its way through the normal system of government red tape, which takes years, against him. It's been clear on the ground for months that it's effective for most people who are treated with it.

This isn't some new formulation that just sprung out of a lab. It's a drug which has been used for probably more years than you've been alive. It's older than I am by decades, and I'm almost 50. We know what this drug does to people and the side effects it has.

I'd like to see more testing done, and it's happening. It will help us better understand why it works, and improve its effectiveness. People are dying today, though, and an effective treatment is being poo-poo'd for political reasons. I can't even begin to tell you how much that pisses me off.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:48 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Don't worry, once the preplanned devastation bounces Trump from office, the media-political complex will go back to telling you good news and all will be right with the world again. Just have to wait until November, unfortunately.
Absolutely no evidence of the bolded.

I hadn’t perceived you as a baseless conspiracy peddler before now.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:48 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I haven't seen anyone blame Trump for the virus or economic downturn but I've seen lots of claims that this is happening.

It is easy to fight against this mythological claim rather than the actual criticism of Trump's actions during this crisis.

Trump is not responsible for the virus or the economic downturn.

He isn't

Unemployment is high.
We hope it will 'bounce back" but we don't know.

Consumer spending is responsible for a huge portion of the economy. Who knows how consumers will react after all this.
Will there be lingering hesitation for large group gatherings, etc.

We have no clue.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You've been sold a load of crap.

The drug works. The anti-Trump crowd is using the fact that it hasn't wound its way through the normal system of government red tape, which takes years, against him. It's been clear on the ground for months that it's effective for most people who are treated with it.

This isn't some new formulation that just sprung out of a lab. It's a drug which has been used for probably more years than you've been alive. It's older than I am by decades, and I'm almost 50. We know what this drug does to people and the side effects it has.

I'd like to see more testing done, and it's happening. It will help us better understand why it works, and improve its effectiveness. People are dying today, though, and an effective treatment is being poo-poo'd for political reasons. I can't even begin to tell you how much that pisses me off.
As a leftist I do not poo-poo a doctor’s ability to prescribe this drug for covid patients if they feel it will help them. Many are in fact doing just that based on anecdotal evidence. I do poo-poo non-physicians telling people to take any medication for any reason, from the bully pulpit.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Please read the bold out loud. You absolutely listen to the doctors, not Trump..
It's crazy that you have to explain that to some people.

Trump voters are more worried about the economy and Trump's reelection than they are American lives. Sad truth.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:03 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Now that Bernie Sanders' dropped out and we're stuck with Biden, what's his plan? If the unemployment rate goes up to 20%? This deal probably won't be gone by November. How much stimulus will be enough? One things for sure-continuing to pour $$$ into businesses that aren't hiring doesn't help.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:04 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Dow having their best week since 1938.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:07 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Dow having their best week since 1938.
Someday it will be back up to where it was 2 1/2 years back!

MAGA.

I feel for the unemployed but my take is that perhaps 1/2 of them will be back to work soon enough - and if they get unemployment and other help they may be OK.

There is definitely an issue with the "contractor" economy. Companies getting away without paying the true cost of employees hurts everyone because someone has to pick up the tab eventually.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:07 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As much as Trump loves to talk about "conflicts," there's a fat huge conflict here between Trump's short-term interest (re-election) and America's long-term interest (eradicating the virus).
That's funny-keeping the economy alive and avoiding a recession is in my long-term interest. Not yours? Are you a Bernie supporter?

Concerning the UE rate-I actually find it surprising that it's only 13%. It was ~3% before CV. And it sure seems like more than 1 in 10 people are on government mandated layoff right now. At least among those I know. This would indicate that upwards of 90% of our workforce are "essential workers"? Doesn't seem likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies