Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 11:01 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

I read an article yesterday that said we would be dealing with active infections until August. How that would affect businesses opening is a question. Should we risk opening up the economy while the infection is still raging? If so, at what point?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/polit...l-8/index.html

Old 04-09-2020, 11:04 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,357,694 times
So the REAL unemployment rate is likely 20% or higher

Old 04-09-2020, 11:15 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
I am just wondering if someone is diagnosed with cancer, do they go and get advice from their elected representative on what should be done? Or do they get advice from a doctor on what should be done?

Old 04-09-2020, 11:16 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I am just wondering if someone is diagnosed with cancer, do they go and get advice from their elected representative on what should be done? Or do they get advice from a doctor on what should be done?
It depends on whether or not you are a Trump cultist.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:17 AM

2,495 posts, read 866,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Trump responded terribly but he's handling it now with the help of others. I wish he would stop promoting the anti malarial drug until they did more thests though. But now, we have a responsibility to stay at home, all the time. That's all I can think of. The unemployment rate will continue to go up. Everyone needs income no matter what so that's up to the government to work together and fix it. We can't do it ourselves.
Scoob, doctors all over the country are using the zinc/hydroxychloroquine clinical protocol with strikingly successful results, seeing improvement in some cases within hours.

"What we're finding clinically with our patients is that it really works only in conjunction with zinc. So the hydroxychloroquine opens the zinc channel, zinc goes into the cell, it then blocks the replication of the cellular machinery.

"So it has to be used in conjunction with zinc."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVs_EWVCVPc

Old 04-09-2020, 11:32 AM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Let's keep this simple, shall we?

If my life is economically ruined, but I'm not dead - am I really doing all that well? If instead I die, then I don't have to worry about the economy, do I?

The problem isn't in listening to medical experts, or in not listening to medical experts. The experts probably are not wrong in their predictions of a worst-case scenario, for loss of life.

What is wrong is in assuming that avoiding loss of life is so absolutely pivotal, that nothing else matters.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:34 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That's funny-keeping the economy alive and avoiding a recession is in my long-term interest. Not yours? Are you a Bernie supporter?

Concerning the UE rate-I actually find it surprising that it's only 13%. It was ~3% before CV. And it sure seems like more than 1 in 10 people are on government mandated layoff right now. At least among those I know. This would indicate that upwards of 90% of our workforce are "essential workers"? Doesn't seem likely.
Part of that is because many of us have not even been able to file unemployment yet...here in Ohio, I still can't get through on the phones to talk to them. They still haven't implemented the new rules from the stimulus for it either.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:38 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Let's keep this simple, shall we?

If my life is economically ruined, but I'm not dead - am I really doing all that well? If instead I die, then I don't have to worry about the economy, do I?

The problem isn't in listening to medical experts, or in not listening to medical experts. The experts probably are not wrong in their predictions of a worst-case scenario, for loss of life.

What is wrong is in assuming that avoiding loss of life is so absolutely pivotal, that nothing else matters.
It is the loss of life in such huge numbers in a short time that was the issue.

A person is crazy if they think that would not have very severe economic consequences, far past what we are having now, which right now, we can bounce back from relatively easy.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:43 AM

2,495 posts, read 866,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It is the loss of life in such huge numbers in a short time that was the issue.

A person is crazy if they think that would not have very severe economic consequences, far past what we are having now, which right now, we can bounce back from relatively easy.
The current shelter in place protocol is exacerbating the long term damage done to society and its economy. And it is also prolonging the life cycle of the virus.

You live in fear.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:45 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
The current shelter in place protocol is exacerbating the long term damage done to society and its economy. And it is also prolonging the life cycle of the virus.

You live in fear.
The bolded is correct but was necessary.

If we had allowed all infections to progress at an unchecked rapid rate then it may have burned out quicker but would have overwhelmed the medical system and resulted in far more deaths since the illness caused by covid-19 is so bad that it requires hospitalization in ~20% of cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies