Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 07:38 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times

Advertisements

Barr literally wrote a book in the 80s saying we need to put more people in jail

Old 04-10-2020, 08:04 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
As opposed to doing what?

You can go out anytime. Not advised with a pandemic on the loose, but nobody has locked you in your house.

As we have seen in some countries they have been locking people in their homes and arresting those that dare to go out.

We have seen some cities crack down on people that have defied the stay at home order. There was that guy that was paddle boarding in CA hundreds of feet away from anyone and 2 Police boats came up to him and he was led away in handcuffs. One guy, not bothering anyone but defying the order to stay home was forced into close contact with at least 4 police officers.

This is a slippery slope where we have lost personal liberty and it could get worse. The idea is to knuckle down on the majority in order to save a few... Hmmmmm sounds a lot like gun control to me.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:13 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times
We will be taking _ALL_ our liberties back as soon as this pandemic has lost some steam. Don't worry.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Freedom for me, but not for thee. Also known as tyranny.

Give me liberty, or give me death, unless of course a virus with a 97% survival rate pops up.

In which case rule by despotic decree under obscure laws nobody ever heard of, take away my right to free speech, or due process. Destroy my business and threaten to arrest me if I try to make a living or assemble with friends, take away my guns, cancel my health insurance and put me under house arrest...

Vote from the rooftops!
Alrighty then.

Will Trump announce a return to holding campaign rallies throughout the US, say beginning 5/1? After all, it’s under control and according to some blowhards, only those with a foot in the grave succumb.

5 rallies a week for 27 weeks till election, 2020. Let the Trump base show us the way back to normal.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:17 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
We will be taking _ALL_ our liberties back as soon as this pandemic has lost some steam. Don't worry.
Mmmm. Yeah. We may have to actually TAKE them back. I know the leftist, Vegas elected, scumbag governor here is really digging these "emergency powers" hes been using.

Laying them down after the crisis has abated I'm truly thinking he wont want to do. Its not the feds pulling this crap, it's the state. Mainly governors. They've become little dictators.

Sisolack is trying to go crazy here. And CA is just plumb daffy. Its happening all over. And it's not the feds doing it. The feds may have to step in though. Put the governors back in line.

Or pick a side. Either rein the governors in or support them. So we citizens know where we stand. Personally I'm not cool with the state governors having the kind of power they're grabbing. Not one bit.

If I have to get to feuding I'd like to know exactly who all I'll need to shoot at. The feds have expressed concern at what a lot of governors are doing but they haven't done anything to pull in their horns either. Soooo....wtf over?

The cops are standing with the governors mostly in enforcement of executive orders from the State Troopers to city police and the Sheriff's dept. NG has been activated here but their not doing any enforcement stuff.

Medical and logistical role but their not supporting LE. Yet. But LE is enforcing business closures and public gathering bans pretty zealously. I wonder just how far state governors are going to push.

They sure are showing a serious liking for the power this "crisis" has allowed them to throw around. And citizens are supporting them too. Yeah, I get the whole pandemic control measures thing, but I also think it's being taken out of bounds.

I'm not willing to live like this and give the governor this sort of power forever. And it's looking like that's what's happening. Ummm....no. And this isnt some tin foil hat fantasy anymore. Its happening.

So...how much is going to be to much?

Old 04-10-2020, 12:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The godfather of the Patriot Act is suddenly a born again constitutionalist.

Barr worried about Americans being spied upon, that's rich.

Here... Here!

Old 04-10-2020, 01:05 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Here... Here!

What?

I would have assumed you are a big fan of Barr?

Old 04-10-2020, 01:21 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
No that's actually Joe Biden. Joe bragged about writing what became the Patriot Act:

"And the bill...sent up was my bill," [Biden] said when the Patriot Act was being debated, according to the New Republic, which described him as "the Democratic Party's de facto spokesman on the war against terrorism.""

https://www.cnet.com/news/joe-bidens...voting-record/

Barr had nothing to do with it.
You don’t know anything about what you’re talking about.

Barr was the godfather of the NSA’s bulk data collection program

While serving in the George H.W. Bush administration, Barr helped develop what became a “blueprint” for the National Security Agency’s mass phone surveillance program. In 1992, he and his then-deputy Robert Mueller authorized the Drug Enforcement Administration to begin amassing phone call data in bulk, ordering telephone companies to secretly hand over the records of all phone calls from the U.S. to countries — which eventually grew to be well over 100 nations — where the government believed drug traffickers were operating

Old 04-10-2020, 02:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
What?

I would have assumed you are a big fan of Barr?
The guy is no Saint.
I certainly hope people learn from their mistakes. Barr speaks like he has.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:37 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of people will just go along with things, or think that voting can bring their rights and liberties back...

I've heard a couple people recently compare state control to a ratchet, and I've always pictured a ziptie...once it's tightened, it's pretty much locked in place (unless you break the ratchet or ziptie, which isn't easy either).

So, hopefully you're right. I'm not that optimistic, but I think there are still a decent amount of people out there who are skeptical and see the danger of trading in everyone's rights to "feel safe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies