Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm glad you're doing okay. I was going to offer to send pm's back and forth if you needed someone to talk to. There are a lot of people isolated alone and if you're an extrovert, that can be difficult.

Sorry, too much hate PM's being thrown my way so I had to turn it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 11:17 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
People must stop speculating and just look at what we actually know about the economy as we deal with COVID-19:

- Balance sheets are healthy.
- The challenges that businesses see are cashflow. That's not a hard problem to solve.
- The Fed has already backstopped tightening of not just treasuries, but all government bonds.
- Depression is extremely unlikely. So unlikely that it's not even considered as a risk by economists.
- Recession is most likely and wouldn't be as impactful as a depression.
- Looking at the economics, in a depression scenario, access to food would be isolated and would not impact 1% of the population across the board. Those isolated areas have existing issues today and they are known. To alleviate any food shortage concern, we (and others that are well off) should make sure distribution of food to people without it is improved.
- We've been at worse risk, economically, and came back profoundly strong. We'll do it again.
- It's too early to fully understand the impact of the virus, but the Trump Administration, Congress, Doctors, and Scientists agree that there's a reason to have concern and act appropriately. It's already stressing out infrastructure in certain areas.

Times like these it's important to be rational. Pushing unnecessary over-dramatizing of fear of economic collapse is unwarranted and unfruitful.

You seem like a pretty sharp individual, IDo, sincerely. I just want to know one thing: where are the Federal and State governments going to get their revenue for the rest of the year if everything has to stay shut down in a worst case scenario?

Old 04-12-2020, 11:56 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wow, a whole top 3 people are Democrats. And Hollyweird? Purveyors of mindless entertainment? Really?
That is a giant crop out. You try to deflect with a hyperbole but it only makes your post come off as ignorant.

You really think the top earners in this country consist of only three people???

Old 04-13-2020, 05:39 AM

12,036 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You seem like a pretty sharp individual, IDo, sincerely. I just want to know one thing: where are the Federal and State governments going to get their revenue for the rest of the year if everything has to stay shut down in a worst case scenario?
They will have to print it. Monetize it.
That’s why Trump is trying to open things up again quickly.
The best scenario to come out of this pandemic will be if Trump and the Rs commit to bringing back our medical supply and pharmaceutical manufacturing industries out of China and India. Jobs and revenue will increase greatly.
This is a wake up call to our dire need on many levels for more independence.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:38 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Sorry, too much hate PM's being thrown my way so I had to turn it off.
Oh come on, that's part of the fun. I'm serious, if you get too down and need someone to talk to. Just pm me. (Don't tell anyone you turned it back on ) That goes for anyone else who is reading this and wants to reach out. This is a very difficult time for all of us. Beating each other up over politics is one thing. Not being kind to one another in a time of need is quite another. I can do both.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:22 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
An economy based on service can not last. We can"t survive selling each other hamburgers. We have to produce products.
Once upon a time people manufactured goods. Now Corporations sell off companies for profit. Parasites.
There is no America
Our Neighbors have closed their borders to us
Schools are closed
business is closed
Toddlers are dead in cages More people are dead here than in third world countries
The world is better off without us
You cannot be serious.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:44 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
It will certainly change the way we go about our lives for sure, online school, work from home, curbside pickups, wearing masks out in public, and other isolative measures may become the norm. I think the online venues have great potential in reducing our nations energy consumption for travel to/from work and schools. Another great depression though? I don't think so. I actually expect a surge in additional domestic manufacturing of essentials now that we've learned our "globalism lesson". We consume approx. half a TRILLION $$$ in goods annually from China, and if we return a good chunk of that to the USA we'll be moving upward and onward.
it's going to be a lot harder to do than you think.
you're talking about moving production to a more expensive country, with more expensive labor, with more regulations, in more difficult times where people have less money to buy these goods.
in a downturn, there will be less risks being taken to start up these businesses, and banks that will be less willing to hand out loans, and investors to fund it.

if anything, businesses will move production out of china, which has become more expensive as their wages have risen, to SE asia, india or africa.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:58 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That is a giant crop out. You try to deflect with a hyperbole but it only makes your post come off as ignorant.

You really think the top earners in this country consist of only three people???

There is no hyperbole in what I said. They're actual facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. Blacks and Hispanics, the two demographic groups with the highest obesity rates AND who both overwhelmingly vote Dem, tip Dem voters into the highest obesity group of the two main political parties. Dem voters, on average, are also the most poor:

Economic Demographics of Democrats

And interestingly, from the same source:

Quote:
"An individual’s likelihood of being a Democrat decreases with every additional dollar he or she earns. Democrats have a huge advantage (63 percent) with voters earning less than $15,000 per year. This advantage carries forward for individuals earning up to $50,000 per year, and then turns in the Republicans’ favor — with just 36 percent of individuals earning more than $200,000 per year supporting Democrats.

Interestingly, the median household income in the United States is $49,777 — right near the point where the Democratic advantage disappears and the Republicans take over."
This is easily confirmed by looking at the difference between how many Republicans vs. how many Democrats have ever received Food Stamps:

Percent of Adults Who Have Ever Received Food Stamps - Pew Research

Old 04-26-2020, 06:09 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
One year from now it will be " remember that crazy coronavirus scare? Life will be back as it always was. Well, China will be taken to the cleaners and US business interests will be staging a mass exodus from there.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:40 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
America is not finished as a nation. I cannot believe that there are folks coming on here with the balls to say that we have no hope. We're going to recover from this, and like all other pandemics we've had here, this, too, shall pass. We've gotten through the swine flu. We've gotten through Ebola. We'll get through this, as well.

The American people, along with the President, are just facing some challenges in getting the country reopened in a safe fashion. And it will reopen. The biggest obstacles we're facing are coming from the left wing and the media, and they have complicated things. But we're better than this, and we will recover.

Please, y'all, just think positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies