Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 12:40 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times

Advertisements

I think many of you underestimate your regular old daily chance of dying. In a year, it's about 1%.

Yep. Of all the death around you - accidents, strokes, heart attacks, cancer, bullets, snake bites and boat accidents -all adds up to your odds of about 1 in a 100. Now add in the COVID -where your odds are ALSO 1 in a 100.

So if you catch COVID - seems to me you are twice as likely to die as you were before...no? 2 in a 100?

With that in mind - yep - it's priceless. It is - literally - worth ALL the other death combined. It's THAT bad. Don't believe it? Get out a calculator and find my mistake.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:46 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
OK, so 18,000 people have died in the US. .08% of those 18K were "healthy". 18,000 x .0008= 14.4.

Nice try. Let's first see how reliable these stats are, and then look at the end data instead of cherry picking a subset.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:54 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I think many of you underestimate your regular old daily chance of dying. In a year, it's about 1%.

Yep. Of all the death around you - accidents, strokes, heart attacks, cancer, bullets, snake bites and boat accidents -all adds up to your odds of about 1 in a 100. Now add in the COVID -where your odds are ALSO 1 in a 100.

So if you catch COVID - seems to me you are twice as likely to die as you were before...no? 2 in a 100?

With that in mind - yep - it's priceless. It is - literally - worth ALL the other death combined. It's THAT bad. Don't believe it? Get out a calculator and find my mistake.
The issue isn't the use of a calculator, the issue is knowing when and what to use the calculator on. The 1% chance of dying in general per year includes EVERYBODY who's died in the US including the elderly who die of complications from mother natures #1 killer (and it's been that way forever), time. Simple minded adding and multiplying will simply get you numbers that have no connection to reality (from a life or statistics perspective).

Old 04-10-2020, 01:18 PM

I'm not following. I said that. I said it includes all the people from all the causes - including elderly.

If your point is that some of the 1% will overlap - undoubtedly - but not all or even most of them.

Only about 50% of that 1% dies from heart disease and cancer - and a big chunk of those will survive corona.

It agree it's not completely additive - my scenario is a simplification - but the point is - a 1% risk is not really tiny..it's a significant adder to the risk you ALREADY tolerate.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:30 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
So using your numbers, 1/100 die from it, out of those 992/1000 had at least one serious underlying condition, meaning 8/1000 would be considered "healthy" with no known underlying condition.

Therefore 8/100,000 or 1/12,500 so-called "healthy" people with no known underlying condition would die from the virus, on average.
Thank you....that’s what I was looking for. (And of course I understand that it’s an average.)

Now, the next thing I am wondering is how many healthy adults die in a car crash in any given year? About 50,000 or so? That’s about 1/6800. (That much math I can do.) So....it is more likely that a healthy adult will die in a crash this year that succumb to this virus. Yet, people are not afraid of driving.

So, with the understanding that vulnerable populations (like the elderly) still need to be protected, it seems we are close to at least opening lower-risk regions of the country, albeit still practicing social distancing. My guess is that this WILL happen by May 1.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:35 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
As many people die from the flu yearly as expected from this virus and we have a so-so vaccine for it.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:42 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I'm not following. I said that. I said it includes all the people from all the causes - including elderly.

If your point is that some of the 1% will overlap - undoubtedly - but not all or even most of them.

Only about 50% of that 1% dies from heart disease and cancer - and a big chunk of those will survive corona.

It agree it's not completely additive - my scenario is a simplification - but the point is - a 1% risk is not really tiny..it's a significant adder to the risk you ALREADY tolerate.
My point is that 1% number is not a RISK number, it's simply a statistic. If you truly want to measure RISK, you HAVE to factor things differently. That's like saying my risk of death by shark attack can be calculated by taking the number of shark attack deaths and dividing by a population. Fact is that my risk is very different than a daily surfer in Australia. I can guarantee that your insurance company doesn't calculate your risk score by coming up with a national average for all car accidents and dividing by the population.

Not to mention the assumption that 1% for the CV19 death rate is accurate (which it isn't, at least not what's commonly bandied about).

Old 04-10-2020, 01:50 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It seems at this juncture that approximately 1% of those who are infected succumb to the virus (RIP), and a study from Italy showed that 99.2% of those dying had at least one serious underlying condition. So, what is the percentage likelihood that a healthy adult would catch the disease and then succumb to it? Would it be 1% x .08%?

P.S. I was horrible with word problems in junior high and still would be. (I have other talents.)
You would be correct. Sort of.

Whatever the percentage of all deaths being underlying issues the balance would most probably be those who are healthy. That is the basic solution.

Where these numbers get washed out is when you account for age, gender, race, income.

All the numbers will be gone over and over and over in the coming years. All the percentages will be broken down. They will constantly be changing as nothing is static.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
My point is that 1% number is not a RISK number, it's simply a statistic. If you truly want to measure RISK, you HAVE to factor things differently. That's like saying my risk of death by shark attack can be calculated by taking the number of shark attack deaths and dividing by a population. Fact is that my risk is very different than a daily surfer in Australia. I can guarantee that your insurance company doesn't calculate your risk score by coming up with a national average for all car accidents and dividing by the population.

Not to mention the assumption that 1% for the CV19 death rate is accurate (which it isn't, at least not what's commonly bandied about).

Just to throw a wrench into the statistics.

There's indications that hospitals are pumping the numbers because they get $13,300 for each covid patient. Let's say a person breaks their leg in an accident, tests positive (false or whatever), yet is a-symptomatic. They are listed as a covid patient. BOOM $13,3 TY very much.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:09 PM

OH right, on that 1% thing. Just as COVID is. And I agree 1% was a guess - but that wasn't my guess - it was upstream, and it's also a pretty common guess. Another thread going around here has some interesting German data (i mean, the author is german ,the data is worldwide) and it is indeed trending towards 1%...or at least, not more. Time will tell..

But regarding the 1% - yes - whatever percent die of shark bite can be removed if you never swim. Same with cars and, well, more generally, being old. That 1% chance goes down if you're young, and way down if you're a woman. Apparently, if you want to live forever, be a young woman. If you want to die soon, be an old man.

I'm not saying it's a literal thing - but neither is COVID. The 1% (IF that's it) trends heavily to old people - just like real life - so your real "odds" are probably changing from 0.1%....to 0.2%....so it's still twice as likely.

But - like you can avoid sharks, and lightning, and boating accidents (well, water, I guess), you can avoid COVID too - or you can push your luck, and be a statistic. Lots of things are easy to change. Like sharks. Lots are impossible. Like age or gender. Many - many - others are by choice. Like OD. Or COVID if you get it because you pushed your luck by bucking the system. In that regard, it's like getting IN the water With the shark on purpose. Odds go way up.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
So, if China and most everywhere else experience 3% plus, then why would the US experience different? A miracle?

We are far enough along now to make some educated guesses for the first wave - that being about a 3 month period from mid-march to mid-june. We cannot predict further....with any accuracy.

It is likely a million tested and confirmed cases will exist. We are still at 1/2 that and MANY already infected will, of course, die. Yet we are already at 4% (if we include home deaths extra due to CV, etc.).

Yet somehow it will magically come down to 1% ???

Impossible. Also, if we use the time basis, we'd have to multiply it out by 4X for a yearly odds.....if all else were equal (it's not)......

If 1% of airline flights crashed each month no one would get on a plane. If 1% of airline flight crashed each year, no one would get on a flight.

Your normal odds of dying in a plane crash are something like 1 in 10 MILLION.

That would be akin to 0.00001%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies