Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 07:09 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,569,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I graduated from government schools. No idea.
It's just flu. If you are young and healthy you've just a hair over diddly-squat to be afraid of. Third hand smoke will be more likely to kill you.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:14 PM

18,794 posts, read 8,420,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It's just flu. If you are young and healthy you've just a hair over diddly-squat to be afraid of. Third hand smoke will be more likely to kill you.
Do you think docs and hospital people on the front line would agree with you?

Old 04-10-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Do you think docs and hospital people on the front line would agree with you?
Get off your butt and go look at the statistics rather than allow quacks in white coats to tell you what to think.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:20 PM

18,794 posts, read 8,420,430 times
Quote:
Get off your butt and go look at the statistics rather than allow quacks in white coats to tell you what to think.
I'm a recently retired white coat quack! lol

Old 04-10-2020, 07:45 PM

3,996 posts, read 1,852,167 times
I have looked at the stats. We are closing in on 20 thousand dead people. Plenty more to come. Their age (to me) is irrelevant, because I am not thinking about the risk to me. Neither should you.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:49 PM

17,700 posts, read 13,559,539 times
Quote:
Why bother. When we show you stats that indicate the COVID-19 is more lethal than flu and that COVID-19 has moved to the #1 spot in terms mortality among all causes of death on a daily basis. You will just go with "Fake News" or "Fake Stats"

Old 04-11-2020, 12:56 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,829,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Why bother. When we show you stats that indicate the COVID-19 is more lethal than flu and that COVID-19 has moved to the #1 spot in terms mortality among all causes of death on a daily basis. You will just go with "Fake News" or "Fake Stats"
No joke. I mean, the status says "It's literally just the flu" which indicates he either doesn't know what "literally" means or doesn't know that influenza and coronavirus are two different types of viruses.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:40 AM

88,774 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I think many of you underestimate your regular old daily chance of dying. In a year, it's about 1%.

Yep. Of all the death around you - accidents, strokes, heart attacks, cancer, bullets, snake bites and boat accidents -all adds up to your odds of about 1 in a 100. Now add in the COVID -where your odds are ALSO 1 in a 100.
Drowning deaths are a biggie, too, especially young children around swimming pools and anyone in the ocean when the surf is rough, there are rip currents, and/or the "No Swimming" red flags are up.

Quote:
So if you catch COVID - seems to me you are twice as likely to die as you were before...no? 2 in a 100?

With that in mind - yep - it's priceless. It is - literally - worth ALL the other death combined. It's THAT bad. Don't believe it? Get out a calculator and find my mistake.
I hear ya.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:49 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It seems at this juncture that approximately 1% of those who are infected succumb to the virus (RIP), and a study from Italy showed that 99.2% of those dying had at least one serious underlying condition. So, what is the percentage likelihood that a healthy adult would catch the disease and then succumb to it? Would it be 1% x .08%?

P.S. I was horrible with word problems in junior high and still would be. (I have other talents.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Pretty good odds of survival.
That's not how it works.

The Laws of Economics apply to healthcare whether people like it or not.

Medical staff, medical equipment, medical supplies, time and space, those do not exist in infinite quantities.

Your survival rate is dependent in part on the availability of doctors and nurses to treat you with the necessary medical equipment and medical supplies.

Once your hospitals are overwhelmed, it's over.

There are more patients than doctors and nurses could possibly treat in an hour, much less a day, there aren't enough ventilators and you burned through all the medical supplies, because later on organs start shutting down.

Even if you manufactured 100% of your medical supplies in the US, every hospital is screaming for them and you can't manufacture or ship them fast enough.

Just-in-Time-Inventory works great when you don't have a crisis, but when you need that injection now, right now to save your life, arriving tomorrow on UPS Next-Day-Air just doesn't get it.

The hospitals in Italy are overwhelmed and that's why they have 322 deaths per Million instead of 61 deaths per Million like in the US.

Should your hospitals get overwhelmed, then you'll have 322 deaths per Million just like Italy.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
People in their 20's-40's have like a 0.2% chance of dying of coronavirus. Ticks up marginally for people in their 50's and doesn't even get significant until 60+ and in poor health to be begin with. It is about as lethal as the ordinary flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.