Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 12:46 PM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Right now- two grands are in school - 10 yr old is faring as needs tutors in some subjects, he had a form of dyslexia so working through it. The 15 yr old sis is about to kill the 10 yr old being cooped up at home. Her life is ruined according to her- no social life- neither are able to play sports. Boy football- girl basketball- normally 4 days a week training after school, games on Sat. Single dad works until 6- Not saying it can't be done- if it has to be - it has to be.
I did work 2 jobs when I was raising 3 school age kids. I would get home at 10 PM, all but 2 days a week and Sunday. Clean wash and cook on Sundays,,, 10 hrs a day per child- When do I get any rest? Go buy groceries, clothe shopping- Its not so easy as you make is sound for everyone.
For the average person, it is that easy. For the anecdotally difficult situation, it is more difficult, but having kids is a choice and some people like to compound that choice with difficulty. Since the act of procreation is purely voluntary, I have no sympathy.

And it wasn't 10 hours per day to replace school...it is 10 hours per week, and that is if you wish to exceed public school by ~40% more learning annually. If you wish to simply keep pace with public school, it's more like 6 hours per week.

As far as sports goes, well, nothing anyone can do about mass hysteria about a virus, but in normal circumstances, things can be arranged by those willing to arrange them.

Like you said, if it has to be....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 12:55 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
A concern with kids is that they'll help propagate COVID-19 to the more vulnerable members of society. Very few children have actually died of the virus. The government may need to re-open schools with only younger teachers, for example, until the vaccine is available. Any children with older parents would also need special consideration.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:00 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
In the unlikely event that society stays closed enough to keep Rt < 1.3 and we don't all acquire COVID-19 by the time schools reopen, I have no qualms sending my kids to school. The disease is practically harmless to youngsters. They might bring it home as carriers, but the same goes for us every time we go to the store or work.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:02 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times
Although the Governor of my state (NY) hasn't decided about the rest of the school year, I’m not send my daughter back this year. It does t make sense. We are officially closed until May 15th. We could open May 17th at the earliest. By then we will have had 161 days of school. I’m not send her back for 19 days of instruction. She’s 16, almost 17 and a good student, she. An keep up at home without being exposed to hundreds of her peers and teachers.

My daughter has asthma, I have asthma, and my husband has numerous health issues. I am absolutely nervous about her going back. I can’t think of any way to open ourselves to more exposure than sending a child to a building with hundreds of others, unless we were to go to a concert or sporting event. It’s not physically possible to social distance in schools, the space just doesn’t exist.

As for staggering days- what a logistical nightmare that will be. The schools will need to redo schedules for every high school and middle school student- and make sure all of their classes are either in the morning or afternoon. They’ll have to figure out how to use the amount of busses they currently have to bus two sets of students- sanitizing in between each bus run. Shared bathrooms? How are we going to make sure elementary students wipe down everything after they touch it? How are we going to keep 4 and 5 year olds 6 feet apart? How do we help with tying shoes. Wiping noses? What about those students who are not yet potty trained- how do we assist with that while maintaining social distance?

I’m not saying I have any ideas or that I think remote learning is a good option, I’m just concerned opening schools is going to re-accelerate the spread of the virus just when it’s starting to come down. Is the risk worth it for 19 instructional days?

Old 04-27-2020, 01:13 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
For the average person, it is that easy. For the anecdotally difficult situation, it is more difficult, but having kids is a choice and some people like to compound that choice with difficulty. Since the act of procreation is purely voluntary, I have no sympathy.

And it wasn't 10 hours per day to replace school...it is 10 hours per week, and that is if you wish to exceed public school by ~40% more learning annually. If you wish to simply keep pace with public school, it's more like 6 hours per week.

As far as sports goes, well, nothing anyone can do about mass hysteria about a virus, but in normal circumstances, things can be arranged by those willing to arrange them.

[b]]For the average person, it is that easy -people like to compound that choice with difficulty[/B].

Oh yes- we all plan for beautiful lives, great jobs and zero problems. Just imagine no deaths - no infidelities, not job loss- no natural disasters- no virus!

We all get handed a different set of cards to play with and that varies with time as well. Please do not say what is average- everyone has their own blessings as well as their own problems -- some do not even have internet, let alone a lap top.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:35 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
I'd be a little nervous, but would likely do it anyway. They WANT to go back.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:28 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

6 hours per week? So in the case of my kids, based on a 5 day week, that would be about 10 min per subject per day, lol.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:15 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what state is that? I hear the kids get an assignment with a deadline.
Of course they get a deadline, they have to finish their assignments. It's just like a regular classroom, but online.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:06 PM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
6 hours per week? So in the case of my kids, based on a 5 day week, that would be about 10 min per subject per day, lol.
That's about what they learn right now in school during the school day.

Laugh all you want, but that's the reality. There's a reason homeschool kids beat their public education peers academically. Not real hard for the homeschooler though, really.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:52 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times
None of that staggering/days/schedule whatever is the point. No one should be afraid for their children to go to school - they're more likely to die in a bus accident on the way there than die of COVID. Sorry, that's sad, but true.

The problem is - you can assume all children are carriers. Now - they go home at night, no? So they get the parents sick. High school kids frequently have parents 50+ years old - but younger kids get their parents sick - and THOSE parents go see gramma.

Now we're talking about 2nd graders killing several percent of the grandparents. That's the problem and the fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies