Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 04:22 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times

Advertisements

Well this is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d5tlXe393g&t=552s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdwIxRnj2H0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 05:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hold up a second, you want to call it something else because there have been a literal handful of relatively minor incidents in a country of 330million people by basically crazy people that would attack somebody for whatever the voices were saying in their head that day.

Weird how we had an actual racist serial killer of "old white men" in the Kansas City area and yet the term still was a major battle cry of the primaries.

Sorry, but with the CCP pushing propaganda that the US started the virus I have zero problem with reminding people where it actually originated and that is Wuhan, China. The fact that some nutters hear "china" and have a problem is not sufficient reason to call it something else.

In fact, if we were to stop changing what it's called...even saying where it is from could trigger such an attack.

But ok, if you want me to point out where your language is inciting attacks on some group I'll be happy to oblige going forward.
Only one low level official (Zhao Lijian) openly proposed the conspiracy theory that the US started.
Xi Jinping never endorsed it, nor proposed anything similar.

In the US, however, the head of state used the term multiple times in new conferences.

Don't pretend it is symmetrical or fair.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:07 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Bill Maher is careless in saying this.

In the USA when we create 'enemies' of the country -- there is a portion of the American population that sees that as a license to attack/hurt folks living in the USA who look like those enemies.

The virus did originate in CHina and most of us know that Chinese nationals working and living here, Chinese Americans are not responsible and hold no responsible or should have no animosity directed towards them.

But there are some that don't have that common sense, intelligence whatever...or are looking to direct their anger, blame in horrific ways.

So -- we -- as responsible adults have a responsibility to minimize giving license to those that are idiots.

I know many of you don't think so.....and that's fine. You have a different view point entirely on what your role is in society.

I have a Chinese daughter in law who has a PHD in biology. She does cancer research in the USA. She's trying to make the world a better place. If the PResident stands at a podium during a highly stressful time blaming China....you know that some idiot is going to direct their anger and frustration with China to someone like her.

Yes we have a responsibility as a society to think of those few people. WE do....because we have a responsibility to all those that may be victims of those one or two.

Or we should....we should care.

So let's call it COVID -19 and let the federal govt. address China's responsibility for ensuring safety food standards, etc.. with Cihna and not as some political platform agenda for re-election.

ITA. I'm Asian American and I don't want to be "collateral damage" because of folks who want to take their misguided frustrations out on me.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:36 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That's nice, but the left/Joe Biden strongly disagrees and will shame you for placing blame on China. Maher is simply an entertainer whose opinion is meaningless. The left as a whole works for the Chicoms, and many politicians on the left are paid off by the Chicoms. How else would someone as dull as Joe Biden obtain millions of dollars? Halfwits usually don't have very big bank accounts.
Who is this Joe Biden guy that you are talking about?

Old 04-12-2020, 06:37 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
ITA. I'm Asian American and I don't want to be "collateral damage" because of folks who want to take their misguided frustrations out on me.
Has anyone actually treated you differently? Be honest. If some ******* was going to be a jerk he would have been a jerk, pandemic or not.

I have no interest in supporting ignorant *******s, pandemic or othetwise.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Has anyone actually treated you differently? Be honest. If some ******* was going to be a jerk he would have been a jerk, pandemic or not.

I have no interest in supporting ignorant *******s, pandemic or othetwise.
Knock it off with the whitesplaning. Puhleeze.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Knock it off with the whitesplaning. Puhleeze.
I asked a question and made a statement condemning racism,not sure what you are on about.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I asked a question and made a statement condemning racism,not sure what you are on about.
You were implying that I have nothing to worry about or questioning the seriousness of the issue. Hence my answer. I have no patience with stuff like that or people trying to tell me not to take it lightly. Not. Your. Call.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:54 PM

8,479 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Quote:
You were implying that I have nothing to worry about or questioning the seriousness of the issue. Hence my answer. I have no patience with stuff like that or people trying to tell me not to take it lightly. Not. Your. Call.
That sounds like a lot of conversations I’ve had with my wife. White knighting isn’t appreciated, no matter the motivations.

Don’t ask me why, it just is what it is.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
"Not your call".... lol, where's the stroking icon when you need it. Relax buddy, no one gives a F really. Was just asking a question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies