Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 10:50 AM

18,530 posts, read 8,347,977 times

Advertisements

Let's call it CHICON-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 10:52 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,817,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Bill Maher is careless in saying this.

In the USA when we create 'enemies' of the country -- there is a portion of the American population that sees that as a license to attack/hurt folks living in the USA who look like those enemies.

The virus did originate in CHina and most of us know that Chinese nationals working and living here, Chinese Americans are not responsible and hold no responsible or should have no animosity directed towards them.

But there are some that don't have that common sense, intelligence whatever...or are looking to direct their anger, blame in horrific ways.

So -- we -- as responsible adults have a responsibility to minimize giving license to those that are idiots.

I know many of you don't think so.....and that's fine. You have a different view point entirely on what your role is in society.

I have a Chinese daughter in law who has a PHD in biology. She does cancer research in the USA. She's trying to make the world a better place. If the PResident stands at a podium during a highly stressful time blaming China....you know that some idiot is going to direct their anger and frustration with China to someone like her.

Yes we have a responsibility as a society to think of those few people. WE do....because we have a responsibility to all those that may be victims of those one or two.

Or we should....we should care.

So let's call it COVID -19 and let the federal govt. address China's responsibility for ensuring safety food standards, etc.. with Cihna and not as some political platform agenda for re-election.
No we don't have to do anything of the kind. People who direct their anger in horrific ways do. Stop demanding others conform to what you deem politically correct and keep your virtue signaling to yourself. I blame the Chinese citizens who keep wet markets open and buy from them. I blame the CCP for allowing it to continue.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,074,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
No we don't have to do anything of the kind. People who direct their anger in horrific ways do. Stop demanding others conform to what you deem politically correct and keep your virtue signaling to yourself.
But right now, we do not need to give food to the animals.....I am not demanding anything. You are demanding I think like you. I'm saying that I believe that we have a social responsibility to not encourage racists.

What do we benefit from 'name calling'.

I just can't believe we have come to the point where we think it is effective for name calling....and make sure we point blame .

Does it solve the problem?
Does it create additional problems?

Calling it the Chinese virus and blaming China does NOTHING.....absolutely nothing

It is some childish game....for sure.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:00 AM

6,273 posts, read 3,434,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The reason I suggested we name it the Wuhan virus is that it is more parallel to other viruses named after where they originated from, and it will keep the leftists (maybe) from saying we are being racist against Chinese people.
Here is something interesting:

Quote:
The Influenza Pandemic of 1918. The name of Spanish Flu came from the early affliction and large mortalities in Spain (BMJ,10/19/1918) where it allegedly killed 8 million in May (BMJ, 7/13/1918). However, a first wave of influenza appeared early in the spring of 1918 in Kansas and in military camps throughout the US.
https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

I wonder why it wasn't called racist for calling it the Spanish flu...wait Spain was nearly all white in 1918.

Maybe the Spanish flu should have been called the Kansas flu or maybe the US military flu?

Old 04-12-2020, 11:00 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,817,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But right now, we do not need to give food to the animals.....I am not demanding anything. You are demanding I think like you. I'm saying that I believe that we have a social responsibility to not encourage racists.

What do we benefit from 'name calling'.

I just can't believe we have come to the point where we think it is effective for name calling....and make sure we point blame .

Does it solve the problem?
Does it create additional problems?

Calling it the Chinese virus and blaming China does NOTHING.....absolutely nothing

It is some childish game....for sure.
It isn't name calling. The Wuhan Virus is a perfectly acceptable name in keeping with every other virus label for years. You want to change that for what? People are angry that this was allowed to happen and blame shall be shouldered by China.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:01 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
The best part:

Congressman Ted Lieu tweeted, ‘The virus is not constrained by country or race. Be just as stupid to call it the Milan Virus.'”

“No, that would be way stupider because it didn’t come from Milan,” said Maher. “And if it did, I guarantee we’d be calling it the Milan Virus. Jesus f—ing Christ. Can’t we even have a pandemic without getting offended? When they named Lyme disease after a town in Connecticut the locals didn’t get all ticked off.”

Ha!

Old 04-12-2020, 11:05 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
So I guess calling it the Yellow-man Virus (YMV-19) or The Brown Nipple People Virus (BNPV-19) is out of the question.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:05 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,454,406 times
I call it the Trump virus because we're having the worst outbreak right here in the USA. And all Trump has to say is "China tricked me!"

Old 04-12-2020, 11:15 AM

34,104 posts, read 17,167,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
So I guess calling it the Yellow-man Virus (YMV-19) or The Brown Nipple People Virus (BNPV-19) is out of the question.
It would be.

China Virus is spot on accurate, just as Lyme Disease is accurately named.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:18 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It would be.

China Virus is spot on accurate, just as Lyme Disease is accurately named.

I think China Virus is too broad Wuhan Virus is more specific - much better IMHO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies