Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 07:28 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Post office?
The USPS is its own thing while under the FERS system for retirement those who last long enough as a part time employee to become career with benefits there is no direct GS level equivalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 07:28 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
Nor should they, since they don't produce anything that can be sold at a profit.
FBI agents, NASA scientists, CDC, US military servicemembers, Navy doctors and nurses at hospital ships and VA hospitals, etc etc do not produce anything?

You expect federal employees to work at a sweatshop factory making cheap tshirts for Walmart in order to be "productive"?

Old 04-12-2020, 07:30 PM

37,169 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It sure would be reassuring right now to be a; City, County, State, Fed Gov't worker, having 100% of your paychecks & benefits coming in, as usual.

Meanwhile, most of the unemployment, furloughs, lost healthcare coverages, and pay reductions, are hitting the private sector like a Mack truck.

Prior to C-19, government was consuming 38 cents of every dollar our private economy generated (GDP). Today, that 38% has skyrocketed since gov't costs have increased, while GDP is falling like a rock. It wouldn't be a stretch to estimate government (all levels combined), are exceding 50% of private sector generated GDP. We have become slaves to our government.

The private sector couldn't support the public sector before C-19 ($27T Fed debt & not counting Trillions of underfunded Gov't pensions), and now things have gotten much worse.

The private sector feels like Atlas carrying the World (Gov't) on their backs.

After C-19 ends, its' the private sector who will have to dig us out financially. For the public sector, it will be business as usual.

The gov't load on all levels has become too much. It's time for the public sector to have a downsizing, like all of us in the private sector have had to endure...some of us multiple times.

The Federal worker compensation package is now ~$125,000/yr.. The average private sector job pays $77,000. Those Federal workers are all being paid right now, but not all the Private sector workers.

The $2.1T C-19 stimulus gives each American $1,200/ea, but for each American that got $1,200, gov't got $5,163 to dole out as they see fit! (mostly to Fortune 500's, & other government entities). Some Feds are fighting against the small business relief package of $500B...unbelievable.

Private sector American workers & small busineses are getting crushed by oversized & overpaid government & big business.
Government = Big Business. Supporting this administration exacerbates the problem, since it exists solely for the benefit of the 1%. Anyone who believed Trump was going to do anything for the average working class citizen in America got hoodwinked.

The GOP must go, stat.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Another one making stuff up.
Lol, I am literally describing the agency I work for. After leaving the private sector, it was like quantum leap back in time.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:32 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Ok, name a position on usajobs.gov that hire laborer for GS-1
actually there are a few.... but I have never looked that low

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/Resul...660&smax=28347

Old 04-12-2020, 07:34 PM

35,672 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
Lol, I am literally describing the agency I work for. After leaving the private sector, it was like quantum leap back in time.
Then sorry for that agency - wow -

Old 04-12-2020, 07:36 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
In theory, yes. In practice... not so much. At least not until the older employees retire and take their draconian work methods with them. I swear, between the amount of paper (and every single piece is kept for 7 years), the use of fax machines, adding machines (adding machine, for gawd’s sake), and recent upgrades to windows 7, some of these broads are juuuust catching up to office technology of the late 20th century.
really...what agency do you work for

our fax machine is a dust collector...it does not even work with our VOIP phone lines
we have been using windows 10 for at least 5 years
adding machine??? not even our G8 (financial section) uses adding machines

now paper...sure.... the DoD has been trying to go paperless for 30 years, and still we print out slides so the boss has a paper copy....but that is any business

Old 04-12-2020, 07:41 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Damn. Windows 7 and fax machines are still high tech to me.

Adding machine = calculator or no?

Old 04-12-2020, 07:42 PM

35,672 posts, read 21,030,020 times
It’s possible that smaller offices can still be outdated. I remember seeing a fed office in the middle of farmland in FL. It looked bleak - so I’ll take it back . The USPS and VA are always short too. Anyhow / I’m glad Fed workers are working regardless of where . I did read the IRS was home but not able to telework . Not sure, but that’s the only agency that I heard about .

Old 04-12-2020, 07:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
really...what agency do you work for

our fax machine is a dust collector
we have been using windows 10 for at least 5 years
adding machine??? not even our G8 (financial section) uses adding machines

now paper...sure.... the DoD has been trying to go paperless for 30 years, and still we print out slides so the boss has a paper copy....but that is any business
A state university hospital. Only the big-wigs and client-facing positions get modern technology. The back office rank-and-file get the castoffs. Mind you, I’m the baby of the office (in my mid-40s), so I have fun with it; my boss offered me her Roladex, and I was like “Ah, what a cute little mouse Ferris wheel!”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies