Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 06:46 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the same people that didn't want government jobs now don't want anyone else to have one.

Government jobs are open to anyone but some don't want to deal with the low pay, lack of advancement opportunities, never ending bureaucracy, working 18 hour shifts during hurricane season and other natural disasters while all the "private sector" employees are home snug in their bed.

The people who begrudge public employees even the smallest perk are the same people who'd be screaming bloody murder the minute their trash didn't get picked up on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 07:24 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Government jobs are open to anyone but some don't want to deal with the low pay, lack of advancement opportunities, never ending bureaucracy, working 18 hour shifts during hurricane season and other natural disasters while all the "private sector" employees are home snug in their bed.

The people who begrudge public employees even the smallest perk are the same people who'd be screaming bloody murder the minute their trash didn't get picked up on time.
And they should. Govt takes a monopoly for those services and leaves people without alternatives.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:28 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
So what? You want some real numbers???
I make 138350.00 year. I plan to retire in 7 yrs maybe 8... I'll be 65/66. 30+ yrs I've been paying into PERA. I also have a 457B with 1-1 match up to 9500.00 and a 401 A. Also an HSa and a HSCP with over 100k in it (my vacation money gets dumped into there. WITH my SS I'll probably pull down 66k a yr after I retire.
As mentioned by other posters, all you have to do is get a job working for a Municipal utility... We screaming for Lineman and Powerplant Operators and NERC certified System Operators.....
What qualifications do they require?

Old 04-14-2020, 08:51 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
What qualifications do they require?
lets see...I graduated high school and was in the Navy for 11 yrs...That's it. I have 8 guys reporting directly to me. 3 went to school for Electrician/low voltage controls the rest graduated high school maybe took some college courses.... 4 of us are Vets. 2 army /2 navy. BTW none of us are in a Union.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:56 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I pay $400/month for health insurance (BCBS) and $140/month for dental (GEHA) to cover family of 3 under federal employee program. I also pay $400/month for my retirement and 10% into TSP.

After all the deductions my net pay is 1/2 of gross pay

Where do get get this "free" benefits for federal employee?
they may be talking about FEHB where our healthcare premiums are subsidized by 72%. Regardless, the federal government offered employment to job seekers with certain defined benefits. They need to honor that agreement to retirees. When I retired, between no longer paying 8 percent into my retirement (CSRS) and no longer maxing out my TSP each year, my government pension check was $1000 more a month than my paycheck.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:10 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
OP Here: my head is affixed precisely where yours is, but aside from the personal insult...what numbers are you questioning? If its the annual federal worker's...

Here are the Federal compensation #'s as of 2016, 4 years ago, so I bumped them up $1,840 to include pay increasees over the last 4 years, and I feel that was extremely conservative. Even if pay increased just 1%/yr, it would be over $130,000 in 2020. I went low on my adjustment...way low.

https://www.fedsmith.com/2016/09/21/...sation-123160/

If its some other figure you need clarificaton on, just ask...no personal insults needed.
pay raise? or insurance/tax raises?

Old 04-14-2020, 12:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And they should. Govt takes a monopoly for those services and leaves people without alternatives.
Ok. So you want to privatized trash/waste mangament services?

What if i am poor and i cant afford my trash to take out? Can i dump my trash on the street?

Old 04-14-2020, 12:21 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:

You have alternatives-you can move out to the boonies and haul your own garbage and put out your own fires. Or you can find some utopian city where you can just call a plumber when the sewage plant goes down or the potable water ceases to flow. Good luck on your quest.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:24 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Ok. So you want to privatized trash/waste mangament services?

What if i am poor and i cant afford my trash to take out? Can i dump my trash on the street?
And you just answered why it is not privatized in many places, because that is exactly what happens.

Where I lived before, rural area, it was private, and quite a few people I guess did not pay because it was a constant issue of people dumping their trash.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:25 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,052,476 times
Quote:
I believe most cities actually contract out waste collection services to private firms and re-bid those services every few years.

If we were to leave waste collection to the preference of each customer, then we will see different trash trucks from different companies driving around, as well as a few "free riders" who don't want to pay anything and dump stuff on the street.

I am in support of choices and privatization in many areas, but sewer, water, and waste collection belong in the government realm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies