Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 01:32 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times

Advertisements

Every gov worker I know right now is working. So why would they not get paid to work?

I am working also, private sector, so why would I not get paid?

Can you point to an example of gov workers who are not working yet getting paid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 01:36 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
the same people that didn't want government jobs now don't want anyone else to have one.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:37 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Well, we need cops on the street. Who else will chase down skateboarders and beach walkers and threaten them with a caging?

Old 04-12-2020, 03:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The private sector does well during economic boom times. Government workers have job security when the economy goes south.

Is this the first time you're noticing this?
Seriously. We get a piddly 2% annual raise when the economy is booming, and a wage freeze when the economy slows. We accept it as a matter of course, and show up to do our jobs either way.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:53 PM

14,226 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well, we need cops on the street. Who else will chase down skateboarders and beach walkers and threaten them with a caging?
I heard criminals will be nicer during a pandemic

Old 04-12-2020, 03:59 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Can you point to an example of gov workers who are not working yet getting paid?
I'd like to know that too because in my area, they are either continuing to work when they are considered essential, having to use PTO (which is part of their overall compensation), or in rarer cases working from home. Among white collar government workers, working from home often happens less than private sector because government management is often older school in how things are run.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:01 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I heard criminals will be nicer during a pandemic
Not trying to get too far off topic, but on our local county sheriff's jail roster, there was a guy arrested for stealing firearms who had a COVID mask on (they made him take it down for the mugshot). "Hey I'm a decent guy. I may be breaking into these peoples' houses stealing their guns but I don't want to give them my germs."

Old 04-12-2020, 04:03 PM

35,696 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It sure would be reassuring right now to be a; City, County, State, Fed Gov't worker, having 100% of your paychecks & benefits coming in, as usual.

Meanwhile, most of the unemployment, furloughs, lost healthcare coverages, and pay reductions, are hitting the private sector like a Mack truck.

Prior to C-19, government was consuming 38 cents of every dollar our private economy generated (GDP). Today, that 38% has skyrocketed since gov't costs have increased, while GDP is falling like a rock. It wouldn't be a stretch to estimate government (all levels combined), are exceding 50% of private sector generated GDP. We have become slaves to our government.

The private sector couldn't support the public sector before C-19 ($27T Fed debt & not counting Trillions of underfunded Gov't pensions), and now things have gotten much worse.

The private sector feels like Atlas carrying the World (Gov't) on their backs.

After C-19 ends, its' the private sector who will have to dig us out financially. For the public sector, it will be business as usual.

The gov't load on all levels has become too much. It's time for the public sector to have a downsizing, like all of us in the private sector have had to endure...some of us multiple times.

The Federal worker compensation package is now ~$125,000/yr.. The average private sector job pays $77,000. Those Federal workers are all being paid right now, but not all the Private sector workers.

The $2.1T C-19 stimulus gives each American $1,200/ea, but for each American that got $1,200, gov't got $5,163 to dole out as they see fit! (mostly to Fortune 500's, & other government entities). Some Feds are fighting against the small business relief package of $500B...unbelievable.

Private sector American workers & small busineses are getting crushed by oversized & overpaid government & big business.
What says they are not working ?? and the figures are a bit inflated - only DC employees get all that . Next you want to furlough the soldiers if not at war someplace.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:04 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It sure would be reassuring right now to be a; City, County, State, Fed Gov't worker, having 100% of your paychecks & benefits coming in, as usual.

Meanwhile, most of the unemployment, furloughs, lost healthcare coverages, and pay reductions, are hitting the private sector like a Mack truck.

The Federal worker compensation package is now ~$125,000/yr.. The average private sector job pays $77,000. Those Federal workers are all being paid right now, but not all the Private sector workers.

The $2.1T C-19 stimulus gives each American $1,200/ea, but for each American that got $1,200, gov't got $5,163 to dole out as they see fit! (mostly to Fortune 500's, & other government entities). Some Feds are fighting against the small business relief package of $500B...unbelievable.

Private sector American workers & small busineses are getting crushed by oversized & overpaid government & big business.

uhm

the average government worker is a GS7 thru GS9...making 40-75k.... and their civilian counterparts are paid a lot more

Old 04-12-2020, 04:07 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
You cannot compare the private sector to the government sector the way you are in the OP. I work for a city and due to the pandemic, revenue is going to be down. In San Francisco they are facing a $1.7 billion shortfall over the next 2 years. Before furloughs, layoffs, and salary cuts happen, the City will have to re-negotiate the contracts with the unions. Don't you worry, local, state, and federal gov workers will be effected. It will just take longer. I suppose it is better if we are all drowning than if only some of us are, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies