Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 04:08 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
thx for sharing, I like that approach. Do you know what happens after the PTO runs out?
LWP

leave without pay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 04:17 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
"The Federal worker compensation package is now ~$125,000/yr.. The average private sector job pays $77,000. Those Federal workers are all being paid right now, but not all the Private sector workers."

The federal gov does not have masses amount of low paying jobs like retail, servers, car washes, cooks, etc, dragging down the average pay.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:25 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Our local Montana SBA folks have literally put in 16-18 days since this debacle began, and the Montana State Bankers Association and Sen Daines held a virtual happy hour on Friday to toast them. They are professional finance and economic development folks and they are doing a stand up job supporting an ill executed and hurried plan to fund small businesses. I was proud to be a part of that.

$100,000 p year is less than what I make/made in commercial finance. As far as I'm concerned they're worth their weight in gold.

As are the professionals at the CDC, NIH etc..

Last edited by Threerun; 04-12-2020 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-12-2020, 04:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It sure would be reassuring right now to be a; City, County, State, Fed Gov't worker, having 100% of your paychecks & benefits coming in, as usual.

Meanwhile, most of the unemployment, furloughs, lost healthcare coverages, and pay reductions, are hitting the private sector like a Mack truck.

Prior to C-19, government was consuming 38 cents of every dollar our private economy generated (GDP). Today, that 38% has skyrocketed since gov't costs have increased, while GDP is falling like a rock. It wouldn't be a stretch to estimate government (all levels combined), are exceding 50% of private sector generated GDP. We have become slaves to our government.

The private sector couldn't support the public sector before C-19 ($27T Fed debt & not counting Trillions of underfunded Gov't pensions), and now things have gotten much worse.

The private sector feels like Atlas carrying the World (Gov't) on their backs.

After C-19 ends, its' the private sector who will have to dig us out financially. For the public sector, it will be business as usual.

The gov't load on all levels has become too much. It's time for the public sector to have a downsizing, like all of us in the private sector have had to endure...some of us multiple times.

The Federal worker compensation package is now ~$125,000/yr.. The average private sector job pays $77,000. Those Federal workers are all being paid right now, but not all the Private sector workers.

The $2.1T C-19 stimulus gives each American $1,200/ea, but for each American that got $1,200, gov't got $5,163 to dole out as they see fit! (mostly to Fortune 500's, & other government entities). Some Feds are fighting against the small business relief package of $500B...unbelievable.

Private sector American workers & small busineses are getting crushed by oversized & overpaid government & big business.

Oh ... and I guess you want those "greedy and entitled" senior citizens to send back their Social Security and Government pension checks and live off their stashed largess!

Old 04-12-2020, 04:40 PM

273 posts, read 201,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I suppose it is better if we are all drowning than if only some of us are, yes.
Envy in humans is strong.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:49 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
State government employee here. With 1/3 of my department down, the rest of us have two choices: work 12 hour days to cover the workload of the people who are out... or take unpaid leave. This is fun for absolutely no one, and if I didn’t have a mortgage to pay, I would rather take unpaid leave than be drowning in work.
Thx for sharing that. Its nice to know Atlas is not carrying the ENTIRE burden. Your situation is better than many in the private sector, but thx for your contribution to the cause. Your input was extremely valuable to us private sector Slugs. Stay safe, and plz chime in again.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:51 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
"The Federal worker compensation package is now ~$125,000/yr.. The average private sector job pays $77,000. Those Federal workers are all being paid right now, but not all the Private sector workers."

The federal gov does not have masses amount of low paying jobs like retail, servers, car washes, cooks, etc, dragging down the average pay.

The actual pay is about $69k and then add benefits. The quote shows with benefits vs salaries. All can click to see the facts. Govt still has low wage GS4 and GS5. Locality pay varies and does give more money to people who live in high COL cities. From what I know govt workers except IRS are teleworking. Not sure what’s up with that agency.

https://www.federalpay.org/employees

Old 04-12-2020, 04:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post

$125,000/year for federal worker? LMAO

I am federal LEO with 10 years of service. My base pay is nowhere near 125k and this is with California COLA

Federal LEO is some of the highest paying federal workers in federal government.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:59 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
What better time to broaden your career horizons, than during this forced quarantine.
Please feel free to go to USAJOBS and apply, all who complain! Just be sure you have the proper education level, experience, decent credit, and can pass a background check.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:03 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
A lot of government work can be done by remoting in and working from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies