Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 02:17 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
He had zero choice in the matter, so there was no ball to be dropped. Welcome to state's rights. I thought supporting that was a Republican mantra?
Cuomo said today that declaring federal disaster meant that the feds could mandate state policy but that Trump chose not to do that. He chose to leave it up to each state to decide.

It seems now he has changed his mind.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:19 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Even your linked article clarifies al of this, al Trump has ever done is "recommend."

Trump last month put in place nationwide recommendations that most Americans stay home and distant from one another in order to slow the spread of the virus. But his guidelines, scheduled to expire at the end of the month, have little force — unlike actions of governors and local leaders that carry fines or other other penalties, and in some jurisdictions extend out into the early summer.
They have quite a bit of force, since people like DeSantis , FL refused to make the decision until Trump gave him the nod. In the other hand, they CAN call the shots without the WH, and many did, while Trump dithered. Likewise, they can tell Trump to go pound sand if he orders them to open up.

I think its good the Governors are teaming up, to create a plan to open in a sensible way. It doesn't matter if Trump joins the effort, because it will get done with or without him, and in the end he will claim full credit and people will smile and shake their heads. I think he will even win the election, but only due to the weakness of his opposition. Where is Joe anyway? Still barricaded in his library?

Old 04-13-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Even your linked article clarifies al of this, al Trump has ever done is "recommend."

Trump last month put in place nationwide recommendations that most Americans stay home and distant from one another in order to slow the spread of the virus. But his guidelines, scheduled to expire at the end of the month, have little force — unlike actions of governors and local leaders that carry fines or other other penalties, and in some jurisdictions extend out into the early summer.
But because Trump declared a FEDERAL Disaster -that gave him the right to do what the governors and local leaders did.

Cuomo described it as if the state declares a state of emergency state officials can close schools, businesses, roads....when the feds declare a state of emergency/disaster they can then be in charge.

BUT Trump suggested a stay home policy and told states to enforce on their own.

HE's now decided he wants to run the show -- not the states.

Which it seems -- according to Cuomo -- he has the right to do -- it just contradicts his previous policy/management.

Problem with this -- if it ll goes well -- Trump looks good -- if we have another wave pass through....Trump looks bad.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:21 PM

Neighboring/regional areas should coordinate their policies.

It's good to see them working together, talking, sharing strategies.

I think now the immediate emergency can give way to more thoughtful planning and approach to getting back to normal.

I liked had Cuomo said we aren't closed...the economy is open in a limited capacity. I keep doing what I can supporting local food and beverage and ordering goodies online.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:26 PM

"For the purpose of creating conflict and confusion, some in the Fake News Media are saying that it is the Governors decision to open up the states, not that of the President of the United States & the Federal Government. Let it be fully understood that this is incorrect...." - Donald Trump

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...2vi-story.html

So, yes, he did say it. I know it's often hard to believe he says things people claim he said, but it pretty much always turns out that he said it.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:47 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They have quite a bit of force, since people like DeSantis , FL refused to make the decision until Trump gave him the nod. In the other hand, they CAN call the shots without the WH, and many did, while Trump dithered. Likewise, they can tell Trump to go pound sand if he orders them to open up.

I think its good the Governors are teaming up, to create a plan to open in a sensible way. It doesn't matter if Trump joins the effort, because it will get done with or without him, and in the end he will claim full credit and people will smile and shake their heads. I think he will even win the election, but only due to the weakness of his opposition. Where is Joe anyway? Still barricaded in his library?
All of that is true because state governments have all the power the president can't even tell your local Payless shoe store to close its doors, or to tell any citizen in any state to stay in their house the president just does not have that power.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:51 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But because Trump declared a FEDERAL Disaster -that gave him the right to do what the governors and local leaders did.
Just because the president declares a National Emergency does not get them dictatorial powers over the states and over the citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Cuomo described it as if the state declares a state of emergency state officials can close schools, businesses, roads....when the feds declare a state of emergency/disaster they can then be in charge.

BUT Trump suggested a stay home policy and told states to enforce on their own.

HE's now decided he wants to run the show -- not the states.

Which it seems -- according to Cuomo -- he has the right to do -- it just contradicts his previous policy/management.

Problem with this -- if it ll goes well -- Trump looks good -- if we have another wave pass through....Trump looks bad.
Even though there are some governors who chose on their own when or if they were going to have orders closing down stores or limiting meetings of people 50 people or less or 10 people or less the president doesn't have any power to do those things. States have those powers. So the president can recommend all he wants, it's up to the states what they want to do

Old 04-13-2020, 02:53 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
I wonder what the legalities are? I don't know if it's a states rights issue and can be done at the state level or not. I'm not sure how many constitutional experts we have here on CD to answer the question. I generally lean toward states rights versus the Federal level, but whatever.

If Trump has the authority then whatever he says goes I guess.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:01 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Trump has no say in what the governors decide on a state by state basis, outside of declaring federal martial law and the fed.gov control of interstate commerce.

He's totally out of the loop, so says the 10th Amendment, [i]NFIB v. Sibelius (2012)[//i], and various other rulings, regs, etc.

But as we have seen throughout this hysteria, the governments at every level are inventing powers they do not have and we are all just eating that s**tburger because we are being told we'll die if they don't get their way.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
All of that is true because state governments have all the power the president can't even tell your local Payless shoe store to close its doors, or to tell any citizen in any state to stay in their house the president just does not have that power.
Tell it to Trump, because he thinks he has total authority over all matters. How people who have in the past called themselves conservatives support a guy like Trump is beyond me.

"When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total and that is the way it’s gonna be. It’s total. It’s total. And the governors know that. When somebody is the President of the United States, the authority is total.”
— President Trump 4/13/20

"For the purpose of creating conflict and confusion, some in the Fake News Media are saying that it is the Governors decision to open up the states, not that of the President of the United States & the Federal Government. Let it be fully understood that this is incorrect...." - Donald Trump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies