Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 09:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Considering the models projected between 2 and 5 million deaths, and we're now down to predictions of 60k...seems like a rather conservative claim. Unless, of course, the models were crap to start with and Trump's leadership wasn't responsible for those reductions...
I am not aware of a model that projected 5 million deaths. Did I miss something?

All models project best and worst case dependent on assumptions. The 2 million worst case assumed no controls and no change in individual behaviors. The Federal social distancing and gathering “ guidelines and then the majority of states issuing Stay at Hkme orders were “ controls” which prompted changes in individual behaviors.

Trump today claimed the guidelines saved at least 500,000 lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I'm asking what the reference is for this statistic?
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-gdp-by-state/

Old 04-13-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I don't think a virus epidemic can be considered an "insurrection." Trump can't reopen the economy because he never closed it in the first place.
He did not want to be associated with shutting it down, takes credit for saving 500,000 lives and seems to want to usurp state authority to reopen. That seems a tad political.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Sounds like the Texas governor is implementing a similar plan to slowly open the govt. like the north east and west coast governors.

It looks like it will be a very well thought out and planned for roll out considering the number of virus cases, etc.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:47 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
Yep if you say so!!!

Old 04-13-2020, 09:57 PM

2,495 posts, read 866,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Sounds like the Texas governor is implementing a similar plan to slowly open the govt. like the north east and west coast governors.

It looks like it will be a very well thought out and planned for roll out considering the number of virus cases, etc.
It will probably be more serious and timely than this:
"This will help us as we think through what it takes to re-enter and to get our economies moving again." —Gov. John Carney (D-Delaware)

"We should start looking forward to 'reopening,' but reopening with a plan and a smart plan because if you do it wrong, it can backfire." —Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-New York)

"It's our responsibility to steer our way through these uncharted waters, and figure out a way back." —Gov. Tom Wolf (D-Pennsylvania)

"Working together makes the most sense...doing this methodically, but doing this now." —Gov. Ned Lamont (D-Connecticut)

"...a smart, targeted approach to slowly reopen the economy in a way that keeps everybody...safe." —Gov. Gina Raimondo (D-Rhode Island)

Old 04-13-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Actually, I'm thinking that the words he used are important. You're claiming to, but in at least two comments you've written about what he said, you haven't even provided an exact quote or a link to the tweet.

Again, I'm pretty sure he was specifically referring to guidelines, if it's what I saw in passing earlier. I'm asking you for the specifics, since you're the one making the assertion. If you're not interested in supporting that assertion, that's fine. I'll just chalk it up to "probably another lefty not knowing what they're talking about."
I watched the 2 hour Trump 2020 televised rally ( aka press briefing) today. Feel free to google it and watch.

Trump tweeted his perception of authority at 9:53AM

Old 04-13-2020, 10:00 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
I wish I lived in Texas now.. lol. I have a bad feeling that they will be taking their time lifting these restriction in good ol' Illinois...

Old 04-13-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But will Trump stop a Governor from rescinding their stay at home orders?

So the President didn't make any Governor implement stay at home and now he's going to decide when they can lift it?

You can't mandate businesses to open. We are still in America.

So if Texas wants to give it a go -- let them -- I'm all in for them being the guinea pigs -- someone has to -- better them than me
Not likely Texas, of all places, is going to preempt Trump.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:01 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
California has the 5th largest economy in the world.

Texas does indeed come in at #10, between Brazil and Canada.
Please direct us to a link please....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies