Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 05:31 AM

5,959 posts, read 3,706,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Besides the obvious bias of Project Veritas, any proof that vote by mail is encouraging voter fraud?
That's rather rich, coming from you... a person who makes Bernie Sanders look like a conservative. It's quite evident that you aren't burdened by logical thinking.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:53 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
No.

Just made-up fear-mongering by people whose goal is to make it as difficult to vote as possible.
I'm sure the families of the 26,000 Americans who have already died, a number that will no doubt rise considerably, appreciate your comment.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb Mail In Ballots, What is the Problem?

The "problem" is not with voting by mail.

The GOP objection to it has to do with the fact that it makes their voter suppression efforts more unmanageable.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:53 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
The main issue that I see is that more people will vote. And we all know that Republicans don't want that to happen.

I am in Florida. I have always voted in person, but I requested a mail-in ballot for the first time... I don't see the virus situation being over by November, and nothing is going to stop me from voting.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:54 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm sure the families of the 26,000 Americans who have already died, a number that will no doubt rise considerably, appreciate your comment.
I'm pretty sure he/she's referring to the people who are saying that voting should be done only in person because they are fear-mongering over fraud... not the people who are suggesting that we switch to mail-in ballots to minimize risk of disease.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:24 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
If voters on mail-in ballots are matched with SS numbers, registered voter roles (and a fingerprint), no problem. At this point, there is a lot of mistrust of the left who over the past 3.5 yers, have clearly demonstrated, along with the media, that they will do or say anything and everything possible to defeat Trump.
Well, can you blame them for wanting to defeat Trump? But you're going to far, if you think that "do anything" = commit voter fraud. Come on! They may do their best to get out the vote (and sending everyone mail-in ballots is a pretty good way of helping voters overcome inertia, since they don't have to get up and go out anywhere, they can just check the boxes, and mail the ballot back), but committing fraud isn't part of the strategy.

And before you get into a rant about it, don't overlook all the strategies The Right has used in every election going back to Bush/Gore, to suppress the votes of the other side. Why would anyone ever trust Trump's party, after all the Congressional investigations uncovering rampant election malfeasance, its own operatives announcing on national radio, that they're conducting illegal voting list purges in violation of the Voting Rights Act, the federal court case in NM proving rigged voting machines in Hispanic and Native American precincts, and on and on? The Left aren't the people we need to be worried about.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:02 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The main issue that I see is that more people will vote. And we all know that Republicans don't want that to happen.

I am in Florida. I have always voted in person, but I requested a mail-in ballot for the first time... I don't see the virus situation being over by November, and nothing is going to stop me from voting.
This is a typical partisan stance. There is a grain of truth in it: Republicans might be more inclined to say, there are chunks of our population whose votes would be harmful and it's probably a good thing most of them don't vote: inner city gangbangers, convicted felons, mentally ill, poor/indolent/homeless/welfare dependents.

Democrats would be more inclined to say: let's get all those votes.

So yes, Republicans "don't want that to happen" for the good of society. Democrats "want that to happen" for the good of the Party.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:08 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
This is a typical partisan stance. There is a grain of truth in it: Republicans might be more inclined to say, there are chunks of our population whose votes would be harmful and it's probably a good thing most of them don't vote: inner city gangbangers, convicted felons, mentally ill, poor/indolent/homeless/welfare dependents.

Democrats would be more inclined to say: let's get all those votes.

So yes, Republicans "don't want that to happen" for the good of society. Democrats "want that to happen" for the good of the Party.
Except in this case, what's good for the Party also happens to be what's good for society.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:04 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Please explain this process you are calling "tested to the signature on file".

Or, it can be signed by a "helper". LOL Yeah, we know about these "helpers".
Each ballot has the voter's code on the outside of the signed envelope. The ballot runs through a scanner, and accesses a scanned copy of the voter's signature. The entire verification process only takes a couple of seconds.

People who are unable to hold a pencil or are too palsied to write still have the right to vote. They can flag their voter registration with a disabled flag. Barring prior arrangements, any ballot that does not pass the signature verification will move the ballot to the provisional category and trigger an attempt contact the voter directly.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
... is there any reason why we have an apprehension to mail-in ballots? I mean if the virus is still an issue in September, isn't this a safer option that corralling people like in Wisconsin last week?
It's a safer option if you want to be sure your vote gets filed. We in King Co, WA have been using mail in ballots for years. They arrive roughly a month before election day, you have that amount of time to research the issues -- a voter's pamphlet is also supplied to further explain the items for voting. Once you complete the ballot you can mail back for free, or deliver to one of the many ballot boxes around the area. There is a pull-off tab that you can retain that gives you the ballot identifier, so you can look it up after the election to be sure it was counted.

Election officials have a paper copy, to use if a recount is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies