Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 10:43 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
We know why the Governors want to keep the panic going... it’s not about health safety...it’s about political power..if they can stretch this until November Trump is finished and they know it....Democrats are disgusting human beings...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tr...ors-2020-04-13

As a Trump-maniac, I'm sure you're with him every step of the way down the road to perdition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 10:49 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
All snark and kidding aside, what gives you confidence that he'll do the right thing? And by right, I include decisions I might disagree with but which have been thoughtfully considered and argued or explained.

My real issue with Trump isn't his politics. I disagree with him on many issues, in principal or in method, but that's the way it goes sometimes. As I read his methods, though , I see what really concerns me. He views things simplistically. Not astutely, which is a real skill in cutting through BS to get at the heart of a problem, but simplistically in ignoring complexity when it's relevant. He thought, and wanted this to be a "Chinese" virus he could keep in China or send back there. It's not. It never was.
I don't have any confidence in him doing the right thing. There was a reason why I was a "Never Trump" type. He's done the right thing before in the past, but you never know from one minute to the next if he'll do the right or wrong thing and his rhetoric is all over the place.

Factually, this is a "Chinese virus", it originated there due to either incompetence at a lab studying the disease or in one of their disgusting wet markets. No matter what, it's their fault....but fault is irrelevant right now. Fault only matters when talking about how to prevent this sort of thing in the future, not how to get a handle on it now.

My biggest problem with Trump is that you never know what to expect from him. Take this pandemic response, he did the right thing at first by letting the governors tailor the response to their individual needs, now it seems he's reversing that and saying he's going to do the wrong thing now....but maybe he won't.

He doesn't have any real guiding principles, he's not an ideologue. He just sort of does whatever he feels like doing at the time.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:58 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why dont you explain it to Trump.

The guy has been president for 3 years and still has no clue how things work. Anyone who thinks president had total authority according to constitution, obviously never read it and knows nothing about.
Trump is right ... but in order to take control of all States, he has to do one thing first ... Declare a State of National Emergency ... until he does that, the States remain sovereign and the 10th Amendment is applied.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

btw: the u.s. had a war over this, the South lost and this is the end result.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:14 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I don't have any confidence in him doing the right thing. There was a reason why I was a "Never Trump" type. He's done the right thing before in the past, but you never know from one minute to the next if he'll do the right or wrong thing and his rhetoric is all over the place.

Factually, this is a "Chinese virus", it originated there due to either incompetence at a lab studying the disease or in one of their disgusting wet markets. No matter what, it's their fault....but fault is irrelevant right now. Fault only matters when talking about how to prevent this sort of thing in the future, not how to get a handle on it now.

My biggest problem with Trump is that you never know what to expect from him. Take this pandemic response, he did the right thing at first by letting the governors tailor the response to their individual needs, now it seems he's reversing that and saying he's going to do the wrong thing now....but maybe he won't.

He doesn't have any real guiding principles, he's not an ideologue. He just sort of does whatever he feels like doing at the time.
Which is what scares me, also. If he had any guiding principles, we'd know what to expect. I might not like where that takes us, but I'd know and be able to prepare or adjust. His impulse driven style of leadership and decision making is really poorly suited to this type of crisis.

Regarding leaving this to Governors to manage, I tend to agree, though some Governors did much better than others. But that's the system we have, and no system is perfect. But he never really stayed out of the states' handling of things, and I think he or his people did a poor job of procuring and managing resources. And as that went poorly, he denied any actual or statutory responsibility for making things better. Even as he did some things that helped. Sometimes if he just shut up I'd be less concerned about him, and us.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:30 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Different states are going to have different geographical and economic issues. A recovery most likely will need to be managed at the state level, with overall guidance and assistance from the Federal government. Mandates dictated by the White House will be too high level, and may even be written to favor certain states over others.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:35 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
You people are just never going to admit trump has blown up in your face. You bark on about MUH FREEDOMS yet here’s a president who is claiming powers never outlined in the constitution and you response is....meh.

LOL

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...ctions-we.html
Responses should stop right after this post!! Come on Trumpers!

Old 04-14-2020, 11:40 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
We know why the Governors want to keep the panic going... it’s not about health safety...it’s about political power..if they can stretch this until November Trump is finished and they know it....Democrats are disgusting human beings...
You know who's disgusting?

The people that have always claimed to be "for states rights"
and all of a sudden support the complete opposite just to follow their leader like sheeps

Old 04-14-2020, 11:41 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,327 times
[quote=TheGoodTheBadTheUgly;57840459]We know why the Governors want to keep the panic going... it’s not about health safety...it’s about political power..if they can stretch this until November Trump is finished and they know it....Democrats are disgusting human beings...[quote]

Trump did this to himself when he let the governors deal with this virus individually. He doesn't get to have it both ways. Now he claims his authority is total? Naaaa he needs a better understanding of the constitution.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:41 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Now that's funny!
I thought the same thing, but at least TT is brave enough to admit Trump is wrong. Reps to you TT. Baby steps. Just like in What About Bob?

Old 04-14-2020, 11:42 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Do you agree with the Constitution?

Only when it fits their agenda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies