Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 09:46 AM

413 posts, read 209,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
China's private sector? Where we order all the medical supplies we don't have? What in heaven are talking about? He's made it a political battle of will with other politicians in a most divisive way and a payday for any corporations (like pillow man) that kowtow to his rhetoric.
Are you being intentionally obtuse? China private sector? Really? Are you running that far on empty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
He moved his rallies to a daily briefing. Hasn't worked out so well for him because he can't handle anything but a fawning audience, but that was undeniably his plan.
I think you have completely run out of gas in your attempt to find ways to attack the POTUS.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:48 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
Are you being intentionally obtuse? China private sector? Really? Are you running that far on empty?
Quote:
As of 2018, China's private sector accounted for 60% of the GDP; the private sector is also responsible for 80% of urban employment and 90% of new jobs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_China

Yeah, it's really a thing.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:48 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
No president would have mandated nationwide social distancing measures in February. Not Donald Trump, not Hillary Clinton, and not you, if you had been president. Let's talk about what's really going on, not science fiction.
Thank you! I get so sick of people acting like what he did was any worse than what Obama or Clinton or any president would have done. We were lied to by China and the World Health Organization. I think people really took it seriously when they saw what happened on the cruise ship and China shut down Wuhan and then it started blowing up in Italy. That’s when it became apparent that this was way more contagious than SARS and MERS.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:49 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The border wall is a perfect example. All Democrats including Obama, Schumer, Biden, etc. were all in support of border protection and against illegal immigration until Trump came along. Then they did a 180 just to oppose him.
Actually, they were against those things then, too, just not publicly. Since they knew that the political machine would never actually get anything done on the border, they could take whatever public position they wanted on the issue to satisfy their voter base, and it wouldn't matter in the end. When Trump was elected, they were forced to either live up to their rhetoric or flip their public positions. Since their goals were purely political from the outset, and not about border security at all, they simply flipped their positions and started being honest about their intentions for the border.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:54 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've posted on here that I'm not a fan of Trump. I am probably going to vote for him because the Dems are going to far left for my liking. I never in my life had to defend a person as much as I do that is someone I dislike. I dislike intellectual dishonestly and blatant over-the-top partisan politics more than I dislike Trump.
Exactly. The guy's a goofball who rambles on about some pretty nutty things in his briefings about a pandemic, but he's still leagues better than his opposition. That's the unfortunate situation that we're in in this country. You have people like Nancy Pelosi and Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot criticizing him for not doing enough about the pandemic in February, when meanwhile they (and many others) were telling people at that time to not worry about the virus and be sure to visit Chinatown. Intellectual dishonesty isn't a strong enough term.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:56 AM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Thank you! I get so sick of people acting like what he did was any worse than what Obama or Clinton or any president would have done. We were lied to by China and the World Health Organization. I think people really took it seriously when they saw what happened on the cruise ship and China shut down Wuhan and then it started blowing up in Italy. That’s when it became apparent that this was way more contagious than SARS and MERS.
You nailed it here. This rests solely on China, once we realized they lied to us and the level of contagiousness things started really getting serious as you said. Trump put in the travel restrictions and started going from there.

As much dislike as I have for Clinton, she probably would have acted in a somewhat similar fashion as Trump has been. She might not have closed down travel as fast as he did, but who knows for sure.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Actually, they were against those things then, too, just not publicly. Since they knew that the political machine would never actually get anything done on the border, they could take whatever public position they wanted on the issue to satisfy their voter base, and it wouldn't matter in the end. When Trump was elected, they were forced to either live up to their rhetoric or flip their public positions. Since their goals were purely political from the outset, and not about border security at all, they simply flipped their positions and started being honest about their intentions for the border.
LOL!

Democrats Wanted More Border Fencing Before They Didn't

Old 04-14-2020, 09:58 AM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Exactly. The guy's a goofball who rambles on about some pretty nutty things in his briefings about a pandemic, but he's still leagues better than his opposition. That's the unfortunate situation that we're in in this country. You have people like Nancy Pelosi and Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot criticizing him for not doing enough about the pandemic in February, when meanwhile they (and many others) were telling people at that time to not worry about the virus and be sure to visit Chinatown. Intellectual dishonesty isn't a strong enough term.
No, it's not a strong enough term, but I can't afford to get another infraction.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:00 AM

78,371 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
Okay, let me try to understand this. Pundits & Media are outraged when Trump shuts down the borders to stop the incoming threat of the disease (at the time they say he was overreacting to a non threat), then they are upset when they claim he did not act fast enough to shut down the economy (claiming it is up to the POTUS to do so and NOT the individual states) and now they are angry because they say it is up to the governors to open up the economy (not the POTUS). Can someone explain what these haters are thinking and tell me what the heck their position really is? The haters keep changing the rules. You can't blast the POTUS for both doing AND not doing the exact thing you say he should and should not be doing. Do you even listen to yourselves?

For the record, I think Trump is an awful human being and a horrible communicator to have as POTUS, but I do have to give him props on the actual policy actions and how he has brought so many people together to work on the issues. Even the democrats and republicans came together in the House & Senate to work on this. I guess I just don't understand the Pundit's (here on CD and elsewhere) and the media's endless need to try for a gotcha moment and the endless attempt to rewrite recent history, as well as the rules.

WHAT GIVES?
It's easy, the media is a bunch of for profit corporations that make money by getting people to watch\read their programs.

They're under the exact same pressures to produce quarterly profit numbers as the guy running the prime-time sitcom line-up.

Given the internet and the massive increase in competition the media has become increasingly "niche" politically and thus has to spin and generate news that gets them ratings.

So you have some media that will generally be working one angle while the others work another. positive vs. negative. Both of them get some of the story correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies