Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 11:02 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I find it frustrating and sad that so many republicans look down on those who are lower socioeconomically as if those people chose to be that way. For you evangelicals, "but for the grace of God go I." Right? The people with this mindset fail to realize that they were fortunate enough to avoid the pitfalls of life. Whether external or ones they have created themselves.

There are millions of people out there all having to traverse life on the paths laid out for them. God never intended for us all to be on the same paths. We were all not meant to be rich and wealthy either. There will always be the 1%, the 99%, and the poor.

Stop picking on the poor as if they choose to be poor. Part of the reason they are poor is because of greed from the 1%, institutional bias and racism, and discrimination. Some of these poor people started out in the middle-class and either the healthcare system, or greedy corporations mucking up the economy forced them into poverty. Again, "But for the grace of God." Right?

Lyndon B. Johnson said it best. He said,

You poverty-bashers have been given welfare recipients, those in poor urban neighborhoods, the homeless, those in poverty, and those who have iPhones and fancy tennis shoes to look down upon.

Meanwhile, the Republican party has been transferring wealth from YOU to the 1% right up under your noses. You have been mind-freaked and you can't even see it because your nose is so high looking down on everyone else.

There is a reason why the middle-class is shrinking and those below the poverty line are growing. The poverty line hasn't been increased in decades because if it were raised, it would cause consternation because almost half of the current middle-class would fall under it.

So go ahead. Beat up on the laid off, the sick, the discriminated against, the homeless, and the poor. Better wake up and check your own pockets. Because we could all have more than we have, including you. IF people weren't so short-sighted in continuously picking a party that robs them of their financial potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 11:38 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
You make lot of good points, but you will never convince anyone of them that doesn't believe them already. You are preaching to the choir and no one else.
Of course the big puzzle for those who see Trump as a huckster, liar, incompetent buffoon, etc., is how his fans can be so blind and so loyal. To the best of my knowledge no one has figured that out, but it probably has something to do with the mind set that anything given to the poor, to immigrants, etc. is coming out of their pocket, and also that making the rich richer and the poor poorer somehow benefits them either psychologically or financially. Fortunately Trump is just all talk, nothing of consequence has been done by him or likely to be, so I don't see him as a threat of any kind.
Quote:
I find it frustrating and sad that so many republicans look down on those who are lower socioeconomically as if those people chose to be that way. For you evangelicals, "but for the grace of God go I." Right? The people with this mindset fail to realize that they were fortunate enough to avoid the pitfalls of life. Whether external or ones they have created themselves.

There are millions of people out there all having to traverse life on the paths laid out for them. God never intended for us all to be on the same paths. We were all not meant to be rich and wealthy either. There will always be the 1%, the 99%, and the poor.

Stop picking on the poor as if they choose to be poor. Part of the reason they are poor is because of greed from the 1%, institutional bias and racism, and discrimination. Some of these poor people started out in the middle-class and either the healthcare system, or greedy corporations mucking up the economy forced them into poverty. Again, "But for the grace of God." Right?

You poverty-bashers have been given welfare recipients, those in poor urban neighborhoods, the homeless, those in poverty, and those who have iPhones and fancy tennis shoes to look down upon.

Meanwhile, the Republican party has been transferring wealth from YOU to the 1% right up under your noses. You have been mind-freaked and you can't even see it because your nose is so high looking down on everyone else.

There is a reason why the middle-class is shrinking and those below the poverty line are growing. The poverty line hasn't been increased in decades because if it were raised, it would cause consternation because almost half of the current middle-class would fall under it.

So go ahead. Beat up on the laid off, the sick, the discriminated against, the homeless, and the poor. Better wake up and check your own pockets. Because we could all have more than we have, including you. IF people weren't so short-sighted in continuously picking a party that robs them of their financial potential.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:44 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
You make lot of good points, but you will never convince anyone of them that doesn't believe them already. You are preaching to the choir and no one else.
Of course the big puzzle for those who see Trump as a huckster, liar, incompetent buffoon, etc., is how his fans can be so blind and so loyal. To the best of my knowledge no one has figured that out, but it probably has something to do with the mind set that anything given to the poor, to immigrants, etc. is coming out of their pocket, and also that making the rich richer and the poor poorer somehow benefits them either psychologically or financially. Fortunately Trump is just all talk, nothing of consequence has been done by him or likely to be, so I don't see him as a threat of any kind.

It's not difficult to explain why Trumplings are so blind to his deep, obvious flaws.

They're right wing authoritarian followers.

Right-wing authoritarians are people who have a high degree of willingness to submit to authorities they perceive as established and legitimate, who adhere to societal conventions and norms, and who are hostile and punitive in their attitudes towards people who don't adhere to them. They value uniformity and are in favour of using group authority, including coercion, to achieve it.
Right-wing authoritarians want society and social interactions structured in ways that increase uniformity and minimize diversity. In order to achieve that, they tend to be in favour of social control, coercion, and the use of group authority to place constraints on the behaviours of people such as political dissidents and ethnic minorities. These constraints might include restrictions on immigration, limits on free speech and association and laws regulating moral behaviour. It is the willingness to support or take action that leads to increased social uniformity that makes right-wing authoritarianism more than just a personal distaste for difference. Right-wing authoritarianism is characterized by obedience to authority, moral absolutism, racial and ethnic prejudice, and intolerance and punitiveness towards dissidents and deviants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-...thoritarianism

They just need some loudmouth demagogue to get them wound up and they'll get right in step. Thus, Limbaugh, Hannity, tRump and the rest who they'll gladly follow right off the cliff.

MAGA DTS, Mexico is paying for the wall, best people in the world, everybody has terrific low cost healthcare, the virus is just the flu, etc.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:42 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
I think you hit the nail on the head. I guess that is what kept monarchies ruling the world for thousands of years. The kings were considered to be there by divine right. The religious authorities supported the kings and vice versa. Everyone followed or were hanged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It's not difficult to explain why Trumplings are so blind to his deep, obvious flaws.

They're right wing authoritarian followers.

Right-wing authoritarians are people who have a high degree of willingness to submit to authorities they perceive as established and legitimate, who adhere to societal conventions and norms, and who are hostile and punitive in their attitudes towards people who don't adhere to them. They value uniformity and are in favour of using group authority, including coercion, to achieve it.
Right-wing authoritarians want society and social interactions structured in ways that increase uniformity and minimize diversity. In order to achieve that, they tend to be in favour of social control, coercion, and the use of group authority to place constraints on the behaviours of people such as political dissidents and ethnic minorities. These constraints might include restrictions on immigration, limits on free speech and association and laws regulating moral behaviour. It is the willingness to support or take action that leads to increased social uniformity that makes right-wing authoritarianism more than just a personal distaste for difference. Right-wing authoritarianism is characterized by obedience to authority, moral absolutism, racial and ethnic prejudice, and intolerance and punitiveness towards dissidents and deviants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-...thoritarianism

They just need some loudmouth demagogue to get them wound up and they'll get right in step. Thus, Limbaugh, Hannity, tRump and the rest who they'll gladly follow right off the cliff.

MAGA DTS, Mexico is paying for the wall, best people in the world, everybody has terrific low cost healthcare, the virus is just the flu, etc.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:55 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Yep...and the leftists say, "If you don't believe what I believe then you're a racist!"

Old 04-17-2020, 08:18 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Yep...and the leftists say, "If you don't believe what I believe then you're a racist!"
Most of the left-leaning people I know think that working class right wingers are suckers, not racists.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:03 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It is pretty comical how humans tend to support and defend the very people who are screwing them.

I think “Stockholm Syndrome” is the technical term for it.
My life took off once I bought fully in to "So our troubles we think are of our own making."

democrats take the opposite approach. They are into shaming and victimhood because unfortunately, it sells and many are willing to buy that garbage. Sick as it seems, some folks want to be sick. They are sought out by folks who like to hold them under their thumb. So with democrats, there are the haves and the have-nots. It's a sick dichotomy. democrats really like to scrounge for them votes.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:38 PM

929 posts, read 399,500 times
Quote:

Being poor is a lifestyle choice, whether you like it or not it is a fact! There are too many business owners/successful entrepreneurs and to millionaires and beyond who started poor. Not everyone will become millionaire, but if people just understand the value of hard work they will get rewarded, this is what America is all about.

It is unfortunately a mindset that won't change for some people, for example...if you know you are barely making it in your current job, why not try to improve and educate yourself so you can get a better job.

I grew up poor, but I knew that if I just work harder and smarter I can also succeed. This is what American Dream is all about. I'm not rich by any means by I do own a 10 acre land with a nice house.

It can be done, quit complaining!

Old 04-17-2020, 09:41 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
I find it frustrating and sad that so many republicans look down on those who are lower socioeconomically as if those people chose to be that way.
I find it frustrating and sad that you have such a weird hatred for Republicans. You could say the same thing about "so many" or even more Democrats.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:43 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
OP might want to address an actual Republican who feels that way.
He'd have to find one first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies