Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you are a registered Democrat, and supported gun control did you recently buy a gun or want to bu
Yes I did buy a gun or want to soon 11 30.56%
No I will not buy a gun and still support gun control 25 69.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 09:17 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times

Advertisements

I’m not a registered Democrat but I vote that way 90% of the time and I’m left center on most issues but I believe strongly in the right to self defense and responsible gun ownership. Not only do I feel that it’s a right but also a responsibility. About two years ago I was the victim of a violent crime, i was unfortunately unarmed and I was incredibly fortunate to escape the situation alive. It was a sickening feeling and I’ve vowed that it will never ever happen again to me.

That said, I’ve never purchased a gun of my own until about two months ago when all the COVID stuff started happening.

Buying my own is something I’ve been meaning to do even before the incident took place but I always decided to spend my money on something else and have several family members close by that have let me borrow a gun to keep in the house for protection.COVID made me finally realize it was time to get my own. to me guns are like home owners insurance in that you hope you never have to use it but if you ever need it you are sure glad it’s there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 02:15 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
I am not a registered democrat but if creepy uncle Joe wins wife and I will take our coronabux and buy a his and hers set of AR-10s which is a slightly more powerful version of the AR-15 and capable of firing both the .223 and 5.56 rounds, and that is in addition to the other guns we already own. I would imagine that a lot of other people will do the same.

Gun shops do a killer business with democrats in charge comrades.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Last week I got a IM from a co-worker asking me for advice on what handgun to buy, but he was the last person I would ever think asking me about buying a handgun.

We sometimes get into debates over gun control in the past he has always indicated his position was guns should be restricted to law enforcement, and hunting.

I asked him why he was buying a gun now he said the current events have changed his mind. He was concerned that if there were to be civil unrest police might not be able to respond he needed something to protect his family.
Let me know what caliber you need and I can let you know the backlog.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:19 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope. This liberal already owned a firearm, and a helluva lot of other liberals already owned firearms.

If I was gonna go out to buy a gun because of any recent event, that event would’ve been because Trump got elected and his supporters were acting pretty damn truculent for the first few years afterwards. You know...like they were gonna settle some old scores.
Seems to me like the ones calling for violence were the Democrats. Didn't Maxine Waters call for GOP'ers to be harassed in public? Didn't celebrities call for violence against Trump? Madonna, Kathy Griffin?

Old 04-16-2020, 02:26 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Seems to me like the ones calling for violence were the Democrats. Didn't Maxine Waters call for GOP'ers to be harassed in public? Didn't celebrities call for violence against Trump? Madonna, Kathy Griffin?
Here's one of your fellow Trumpies threatening violence:

Right-wing pastor Rick Wiles has warned that Donald Trump supporters will bring “violence to America” by “hunting down” Democrats if the president is impeached On his apocalyptic TruNews talk show, Wiles said the president’s impeachment or “however he leaves” office will inspire “veterans, cowboys, mountain men” and “guys that know how to fight” to bring “violence to America” by hunting down Trump’s political enemies.--Political D!g.

Wiles is a lot scarier than Madonna or Maxine Waters, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by r small; 04-16-2020 at 02:45 PM..

Old 04-16-2020, 02:33 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times
Can't answer the question as neither applies to me. I'm a lifelong Democrat and don't have a problem with guns. The only reason I don't have one is that I suffer from depression - sometimes life threatening. Having a gun handy - well, I'd probably be dead by now.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:38 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Last week I got a IM from a co-worker asking me for advice on what handgun to buy, but he was the last person I would ever think asking me about buying a handgun.

We sometimes get into debates over gun control in the past he has always indicated his position was guns should be restricted to law enforcement, and hunting.

I asked him why he was buying a gun now he said the current events have changed his mind. He was concerned that if there were to be civil unrest police might not be able to respond he needed something to protect his family.

Why do you assume that Dems don't want guns?
Why do you assume that someone who is FOR gun control is ANTI-Gun?

I am for gun control, I own guns, and I don't want to take them from others. I think the best way to keep the right to own a gun is to be responsible with them. In that sense, the greatest risk to gun ownership in the USA might possibly be the blind support that some on the right give to guns.

It really seems that you (OP) are a victim of propaganda if you think being a Dem stands for zero guns. Try to learn a little bit, and understand, and you might find more common-ground with Dems than you expect.

I did not answer your poll, but I owned guns before, and I have bought one in 2020. First one I've purchased in a LONG time, but wanted to add a specific type that I didn't have, moreso at the behest of the Mrs.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Again...Charlottesville.

Case closed.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:17 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I'm saying I'm for gun control and I think most conservatives are too.

Yes, I do. And if you think it's good thing that it's against the law for most felons to possess or even touch a firearm (which I assume you do), then you are for gun control too.
If someone cannot posses a firearm they should be locked up. Once your time is done you should be free to own.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:13 AM

13,234 posts, read 7,286,273 times
There is a story in New Yorker about this same subject. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...se-your-weapon

One wonders how this might affect voting in November where the democrats have promised to deliver on gun control if elected. I would except that that message to now fade some as we go into the town halls and debates on TV Democrats will be concerned about this subject. They go back to the "Were not taking your guns" message. In my state Arizona Mark Kelly the Democrat Senator running for Senate on a gun control platform will have a tougher time with that message.

Even though I think Trump is an idiot personally the thought of a bunch of new gun laws at the federal level frightens me. I doubt there ever be civil unrest this experience showed just how fast our food supply can be disrupted what will starving people do. I don't want to be stuck with 10 round magazine lever action rifle.

Even Trump tweeted about this https://twitter.com/jackposobiec/sta...90240108044288

Last edited by kell490; 04-18-2020 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies