Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 12:42 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why are you going out to get groceries when you can order/have them delivered? You are part of the problem.
Delivery options aren't available to everyone, or they may be unaffordable (moreso now that many are unemployed), curbside pickup times may be many days away, and some items simply may not be available to order online. I'm in retail so I totally get where this guy is coming from, but I also understand there are situations when people don't have an alternative to coming into the store to shop at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
It's def unfortunate he has to deal with that given it's his job & he's trying to make a living. But this seems like a time where you talk to your store manager & let him know what's going on. You tell him that if this happens you will respectively ask people to give you space. I think in most cases people will agree to. They have cameras in the place if anybody actually caused a scene.

You can complain all you want & he's got a valid point but this is your life. So either quit or stand up for yourself & let customers know to back off.
That's a joke, right? Because you know, people are already aware of the need to back off and they DON'T CARE.
The attitude that "it's their job' is a huge part of the problem. It's not just a problem for essential workers, it's a problem for entire communities. Why is it so hard for people to understand that brushing this off as someone else's problem is a part of what helps the spread of the virus? People need to have some respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 01:17 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
The right type of masks are not available to many people. And the idea that cloth on your face is going to protect you or someone else, when N95 mask are only 95% protective of all particles .3 microns in diameter or larger, is just a psychological trick. A cloth mask can still let in a virus inside of a vapor molecule since the pores of this cloth are not that tight. Heck a coffee filter is about 20 microns. Wear that on your face and you still can be infected.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:20 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
American citizens have the right to protect themselves, and protect their families...even if the threat is coming from other citizens.

Maybe its time these people start getting more 'proactive' in protecting themselves? IF these people are doing what they claim, that is endangering the lives of employees...and they have the RIGHT to protect themselves, even with deadly force if necessary.

Technically, using deadly force to protect yourself against this threat, would likely be justified.

Just because its a national pandemic, American citizens STILL retain the right to protect themselves and their families against harm and are permitted to use deadly force to accomplish this, we do not ever loose this right.

Retarded! And how would you 'defend' yourself from the virus by using deadly force on the person just because they are not wearing a mask? You going to shoot them at at least 6 feet distance.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:23 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
I have observed many people wearing masks who rub their hands all over their face while taking them off, putting them on, making adjustments. They are probably worse off than with no mask.
I laugh at the people in their car by themselves or out jogging/walking alone and are wearing masks. Sheeple.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:24 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Why are you going out to get groceries when you can order/have them delivered? You are part of the problem.
This is not available everywhere. I have experienced a store that did pick up/delivery, but was overwhelmed, and stopped. When the shelter order started, I tried to get this from Whole Foods,. They said they were too ovwrloaded Other stores never started. Don't assume everyone is like you.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:30 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
This is not available everywhere. I have experienced a store that did pick up/delivery, but was overwhelmed, and stopped. When the shelter order started, I tried to get this from Whole Foods,. They said they were too ovwrloaded Other stores never started. Don't assume everyone is like you.

You can't get anyone to do a delivery for you in Marin ?

Old 04-15-2020, 03:18 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I been doing the online grocery thing for years for the majority of my shopping, not one issue ever with it.
I guess it depends on your area. I shop online with 2 different stores and both are so filled up that you can’t even make reservations anymore. What do you do then?

Old 04-15-2020, 04:18 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
I live in a fairly rural area with the closest supermarket being 15 miles away. Deliver? Even Grub Hub does not deliver to my area. When we wanted to get take out from a restaurant, we called, placed order, and had pick it up ourselves. Of course, it was cold by the time we got it home.

Yes, a number of customers in supermarket are not wearing masks, but many of the store employees aren't either; delivery people, shelf stockers, and even the butchers putting out the meats.

The check out lines had a sign at the end of the belt saying STAND HERE. I got told by one cashier you must stand over there. Great but how am I supposed to PAY YOU from there? I don't have 6 foot arms to reach the keypad in front of you. Imagine handing her cash?

One check out line had plexiglass installed around. That cashier was not wearing a mask and there was no Stand Here sign. Much better solution.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:26 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
American citizens have the right to protect themselves, and protect their families...even if the threat is coming from other citizens.

Maybe its time these people start getting more 'proactive' in protecting themselves? IF these people are doing what they claim, that is endangering the lives of employees...and they have the RIGHT to protect themselves, even with deadly force if necessary.

Technically, using deadly force to protect yourself against this threat, would likely be justified.

Just because its a national pandemic, American citizens STILL retain the right to protect themselves and their families against harm and are permitted to use deadly force to accomplish this, we do not ever loose this right.
So, shoot the customers then?

Old 04-15-2020, 06:07 AM

1,579 posts, read 950,006 times
I know what the workers are talking about. When I need something, I announce it so they can step away. I just excuse myself and say, I would like to grab a package of whatever and they either step out of the way or usually hand one to me. I did that even before the pandemic.

My grocery store has one way aisles now too. I am not sure what the point of that is. You still have to pass people and get within inches of them to do so since people seem to stop in the middle of the aisle. What difference does it make if you are going in the same direction or not? Not to mention most people were ignoring the arrows on the floor anyway or some had to back track in the aisles to get an alternative item (they would go to the part of the aisle to find their brand of coffee only to see none there, and then come back down to the other end, the wrong way, to get another brand).

I hated shopping before all this, I didn't realize I could hate shopping more. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
No outrage about the selfish jerks that DO wear the masks and gloves, but dispose of them in parking lots and streets like the selfish animals that the are. I've seen plenty of gloves and masks in the streets lately, its a sadly common and disgusting indicator of how selfish most of this country is. They likely believe the world revolves around them, and rules only apply to others, just like our politicians.

Both sides of this issue (just like our politics) are full of complete selfish jerks.
Ugh, the people leaving masks and gloves all over the parking lot are disgusting. But people like that have always been doing these sorts of things. They are the same ones who leave used tissues on the ground or spit out gum on the sidewalk and such.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I been doing the online grocery thing for years for the majority of my shopping, not one issue ever with it.
Not everyone can get groceries delivered. My mom lives too far out in the country. No one delivers to her. Not even the post office (she has to have a PO Box).

I live in urban suburbia and while the stores here "can" deliver, you can't schedule a delivery slot. I've looked several times because I hate going to the store in normal times, this is worse. In my regional forum, there is a person who has disabilities who is upset because they used to get deliveries before all this and now can't. The poster said things are running low and they didn't know what they would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
The right type of masks are not available to many people. And the idea that cloth on your face is going to protect you or someone else, when N95 mask are only 95% protective of all particles .3 microns in diameter or larger, is just a psychological trick. A cloth mask can still let in a virus inside of a vapor molecule since the pores of this cloth are not that tight. Heck a coffee filter is about 20 microns. Wear that on your face and you still can be infected.
Quote:
I have observed many people wearing masks who rub their hands all over their face while taking them off, putting them on, making adjustments. They are probably worse off than with no mask.
I laugh at the people in their car by themselves or out jogging/walking alone and are wearing masks. Sheeple.
I am one of those people who keeps touching my mask. I can't help it. For some reason, it rides up over my eyes as I am walking around the store, so I have to pull it down. And it makes my face itch like crazy. I could never be a medical worker! haha. But like Shiloh said, it's not protecting me from anything. It's just a homemade cloth mask I bought from a little girl in the neighborhood who was making them to sell (she's very entrepreneurial. She also runs a lemon-aid stand in the summer).

My mask mainly protects others in case I am sick and asymptomatic. I think it also makes other people feel better/safer. I know it's not helping me though.

As to why people are in their cars with them, on the news, they said you should wear your mask all the way home, take it off and place it on an area you can sterilize, then wash your hands, then clean your mask. Yeah, I don't do that. Another problem with my mask, it fogs up my glasses. So I have to take it off to see to drive. In the store, I just walk around with no glasses and blurry vision since I prefer that to foggy vision.

I have some relatives who are nurses and they told me to use shaving cream on my glasses so they don't fog. The problem is, I am not a guy, I don't have shaving cream, not even women's leg shaving cream (I use lotion instead, it moisturizes). So I guess I have to wait until next week's grocery shopping escapade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies