Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 11:35 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times

Advertisements

I live in Michigan and I am arguably one of the most conservative posters on this forum. However, I do not agree at all with what these people did in Lansing yesterday.

At first when I heard that it was going to just be people in their vehicles protesting from a safe distance, I figured oh, well, why not, although in this age of technology I think there may have been more streamlined ways to do it and still be seen and heard. But when I saw the coverage of people walking around without masks and not keeping a safe distance from each other, not to mention the few Confederate flags, it just made me mad. Easily 80% of the people I am related to, am friends with, or am acquainted with, would identify as conservative and not a one of them would have anything to do with the Confederate flag or ignore warnings to protect their own health and that of other people around them. They are people with common sense are respect for others.

I am not a native of Michigan but have lived here now for 23 years, so I am well aware of the Libertarian/militia contingent that resides here and I have no problem with them, both me and my husband come from down to earth, hardworking, Midwestern backgrounds. What I do have a problem with is when people do stupid things and then try to imply that everyone who agrees with them to any degree politically supports what they are doing and would do the same. The vast majority of conservatives are nothing like the faction that threw caution with their and others' health to the wind and carried symbols of the Confederacy in Lansing yesterday.

Very disappointing. What could have been a very effective protest got sidelined by a few wack job extremists who are no better than the wack job extremists on the other end of the spectrum like AOC, Bernie, et al.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 11:40 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
CNN is telling us about what a great job woman leaders do on Covid.....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/asia/...ntl/index.html

#stretcharmstrong

Old 04-16-2020, 12:20 PM

34,990 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
P.S. Whitmer was caught violating her own stay at home order!
So typical that she won't obey her own orders. But what reasonably intelligent person would?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I don't believe that MI executive orders apply to citizens of another state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Whitmer doesn't have the constitutional authority to order this for out of state residents, as that's a federal issue.
I'm constrained to say that the Federal Constitution's full faith and credit clause provides otherwise.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:23 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
A post based in ignorance.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:25 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,353,375 times
Her voice alone is annoying and a repellant. Think nails on a chalkboard. When she talks, she sounds like she's whining with every word. Truly, I can't listen to her.

Substantively, Whitmer is a weak and ineffectual "leader." She appears to be incapable of governing her state. I hope the fine folks of Michigan get ride of her.

Yes, she seems like a perfect fit for Biden's VP. They mirror each other.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:27 PM

736 posts, read 455,749 times
Operation gridlock blocked ambulances and at least one person died as a result. When BLM blocked roads it just so terrible but when conservatives do it it's wonderful.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:33 PM

34,990 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I must of missed the memo, since I vote Republican, and can't understand the animosity people are throwing at Gretchen. I'm not a fan of hers but it's all so unjustified.
I'm a liberal Democrat but provisions that forbid neighborly, non-mass house to house visits are draconian.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:59 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm a liberal Democrat but provisions that forbid neighborly, non-mass house to house visits are draconian.
She's doing the right thing. Could it be done differently, absolutely , but she would be getting much more backlash from the lower income and minority communities. It's just much easier to lock the whole state down, than just the hot spot areas.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:20 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,011,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
Operation gridlock blocked ambulances and at least one person died as a result. When BLM blocked roads it just so terrible but when conservatives do it it's wonderful.
Liar! I demand PROOF.

There was ONE single ambulance accidentally blocked for a very short period of time (minutes), otherwise even the hospital administrator said they had NO issues getting in and out of the hospital. Also NOBODY died, and that's a straight out lie that YOU made up.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:42 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Are you from Michigan, or are you from Trumpieland USA generally?
Lol wut? Michigan voted for Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies