Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 08:48 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Whitmer eased some of the restrictions but they are still out there protesting with their MAGA hats and Trump float. I don't think they even know what they want at this point, Michigan is #7 in infections, #3 in deaths and they aren't going anywhere fast.
I am not a Michigander. I will try to explain though I am a liberal Democrat and not one "protesting with [my] MAGA hats and Trump float." My state is New York but my "beef" is similar.

The various "shelter in place", "safer at home" and "pause" orders did not drop out of the sky as virtually identical documents, with minor deviations. The thought process was to exercise control, i.e. that governors were doing things and entering orders because they can. Trump's declarations of disaster on March 13, 2020 gave them that ability. Sheltering in place and socially isolating were originally justified based on the necessity to "flatten the curve" and prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. That objective was met relatively rapidly, for reasons I will explore below. As soon as the peaking in hospitalizations and diagnoses was in sight (deaths obviously lag behind) rather than rescinding or easing these orders, the goalposts were moved, to an unattainable snuffing out of the virus. That is the basis of the resentment; that people felt that they were lied to as the orders were being put in place.

Why was the "flattening" of the curve and peaking foreseeable; it is well known that viruses spread rapidly through any given population, indeed the exposure is virtually universal. This is being borne out by recent testing, even though those tests are tilted towards not showing antibodies. Few of those exposed are sickened to the degree of hospitalization or even diagnosis. Thus, the lowering of the death rate from a ruinous 4% to a rate below 0.5%.

People may not agree on or even know the details; they know that the carnage is not occurring on their street corners, but primarily on cruise ships, military ships and nursing homes. It is still grievously serious but one handles these hot spots by concentrating on them. One does beef up the ability of the health care system to deal with those who get sick. And not shutting everyone down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 08:54 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Except she didn't. One just had to order them online , have them shipped or do curbside. My wife was able to get everything she needed for the yard. The only thing we couldn't get done was have a landscaping crew out. That is going to happen today though.
Yep, landscapers in our neighborhood starting about 8:30am today.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And now the legislature is taking away her power.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/michi...aign=position4
And it will go nowhere. Do they have the votes to override the Gubernatorial veto that will assuredly happen?

The executive powers given to our Governor are not new and were put in place for good reason - regardless of which party is in the Governor's mansion.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
And it will go nowhere. Do they have the votes to override the Gubernatorial veto that will assuredly happen?

The executive powers given to our Governor are not new and were put in place for good reason - regardless of which party is in the Governor's mansion.
But entrusting a governor with these powers, literally giving a governor the keys to people's personal liberty, implicates a good deal of maturity. Would one hand car keys to a 12 year old?

Old 04-25-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, she didn't save any lives at all. Stopping the sale of tomato seeds doesn't save lives.

But she might have caused some deaths. Severe stay at home restrictions are causing suicides to go up and child abuse to go up.
She. Didn't. Stop. The. Sale. Of. Tomato. Seeds.

Why do you persist in posting obvious lies?

Old 04-25-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
But entrusting a governor with these powers, literally giving a governor the keys to people's personal liberty, implicates a good deal of maturity. Would one hand car keys to a 12 year old?
Nope. Good think Gov Whitmer isn't acting like a 12 year old. The opposite, in fact.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:22 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
Trump and Whitmer both made some dumb moves on this issue, but Trump has 3 years of work behind him. Whitmer could excel for the rest of her term and still be regarded as incompetent because that's the first impression.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:23 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
I am not a Michigander. I will try to explain though I am a liberal Democrat and not one "protesting with [my] MAGA hats and Trump float." My state is New York but my "beef" is similar.

The various "shelter in place", "safer at home" and "pause" orders did not drop out of the sky as virtually identical documents, with minor deviations. The thought process was to exercise control, i.e. that governors were doing things and entering orders because they can. Trump's declarations of disaster on March 13, 2020 gave them that ability. Sheltering in place and socially isolating were originally justified based on the necessity to "flatten the curve" and prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. That objective was met relatively rapidly, for reasons I will explore below. As soon as the peaking in hospitalizations and diagnoses was in sight (deaths obviously lag behind) rather than rescinding or easing these orders, the goalposts were moved, to an unattainable snuffing out of the virus. That is the basis of the resentment; that people felt that they were lied to as the orders were being put in place.

Why was the "flattening" of the curve and peaking foreseeable; it is well known that viruses spread rapidly through any given population, indeed the exposure is virtually universal. This is being borne out by recent testing, even though those tests are tilted towards not showing antibodies. Few of those exposed are sickened to the degree of hospitalization or even diagnosis. Thus, the lowering of the death rate from a ruinous 4% to a rate below 0.5%.

People may not agree on or even know the details; they know that the carnage is not occurring on their street corners, but primarily on cruise ships, military ships and nursing homes. It is still grievously serious but one handles these hot spots by concentrating on them. One does beef up the ability of the health care system to deal with those who get sick. And not shutting everyone down.
Yes it was to flatten the curve in an attempt to prevent overwhelming the health system. But its also to insure it stays at a level that is manageable for future outbreaks. It seems to be declining but there is so much we don't know about this disease and it just spreads so rapidly that it really doesn't take much. We need strong procedures in place, testing and the contact tracing. If people continue to have group gatherings it will work against a response, how do we trace the origin and limit the spread. All the sacrifice it took just to get us to this point could be wasted if people are irresponsible. Just look at the things we needed to do to hold the mortality rate down, things that we have never dreamed of in recent history.

I saw a story of one nurse from a Detroit area hospital a few weeks ago where she would normally handle 4 patients in an ICU, she and one other nurse on the night shift had 29 and then the other nurse got called away. We need to have consideration for these health care workers and never get back to that point.

Its a tough decision for all these governors, pressure from both sides and it doesn't help when a president changes his mind from one side to the other in 24 hours. They need to make smart, intelligent decisions.

Last edited by Goodnight; 04-25-2020 at 04:38 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Nope. Good think Gov Whitmer isn't acting like a 12 year old. The opposite, in fact.
Basically she and others were like twelve year olds, going "bam bam bam" to the economy as if striking a pinata or a punching bag, with no thought as to who or what was going to support those without massive savings. Very "twelve-year old" like. They can solve the world's problems with Daddy's money.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Basically she and others were like twelve year olds, going "bam bam bam" to the economy as if striking a pinata or a punching bag, with no thought as to who or what was going to support those without massive savings. Very "twelve-year old" like. They can solve the world's problems with Daddy's money.
You should definitely not vote for her in the next election, if you feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies