Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 02:41 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Um, what???!!!???? Where do you get THAT idea?

In the past 20 years, they've never once turned down my ordinary MasterCard, issued by my credit union, nor either one of the Visa cards I carry that are issued by two different national banks. In fact, I renewed my membership last week using the afore-mentioned MasterCard. Nary a peep of protest.
https://www.costco.com/member-privil...onditions.html

Quote:
Costco accepts all Visa cards, as well as cash, checks, debit/ATM, EBT and Costco Shop Cards. Photo identification and approval by a supervisor or manager may be required. A valid government-issued photo ID is required if you plan to pay by check. Cash, checks and EBT are not accepted at Costco.com, Costco Gas Stations or Costco Car Washes.
Visa is listed as their only credit card accepted, before it was AMex. I don't know why you were able to use your MC unless it was done as a debit.

Also no cash at their gas stations or car wash.

I hate fine print and conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 02:46 PM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Um, what???!!!???? Where do you get THAT idea?

In the past 20 years, they've never once turned down my ordinary MasterCard, issued by my credit union, nor either one of the Visa cards I carry that are issued by two different national banks. In fact, I renewed my membership last week using the afore-mentioned MasterCard. Nary a peep of protest.
Hmmm. . . This is a bit strange. Over the years, Costco has had three different exclusive use contracts for credit cards, first Discover, then AmEx, and currently VISA. Their website details acceptable payment types, and MasterCard is only accepted online.

https://customerservice.costco.com/a...d-at-costco%3F

Old 04-16-2020, 02:54 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I've never been to Costco. I live alone in a small apartment (it's all I need). I see the pics of the lines outside Costco and think - well, at least they aren't at the grocery where I go instead.
Same here. Plus after I got out of the military, I promised myself that I would never stand in long lines for food ever again.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:55 PM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
https://www.costco.com/member-privil...onditions.html

Visa is listed as their only credit card accepted, before it was AMex. I don't know why you were able to use your MC unless it was done as a debit.

Also no cash at their gas stations or car wash.

I hate fine print and conditions.
I’m sure that’s it.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:55 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Personally, I LOVE Costco. I am a loyal Costco shopper.

Can I find things for less elsewhere? Definitely. Will it be the same quality for that same price elsewhere? Absolutely not.

I get so much there. Not necessarily bulk items either. I get flooring, furniture, lighting, produce, vacations, etc.

I have the executive membership. I have yet to have to pay for a membership since that first year.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:56 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
How many of them get special credit cards because Costco will only accept one type? They get you to pay 60 or 120 dollars and then pressure you into getting a credit card by refusing others, while feeding you free food.

Thinking back, Woolworth was kind of cultural too, a chain store with cheap prices and lunch counter in the store. But you could pay with your nickels and dimes and there was no entrance fee.
IDK or remember what my Costco membership runs. But today. I got a check from Costco. Bet it more than covers the membership costs. Last month I got $300+ from the credit card company. Couple that 4% off of already the lowest price gasoline in town and I think it's a good deal.

Marketing is a skill most don't get. Costco and Land's End have me hooked.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:59 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
How many of them get special credit cards because Costco will only accept one type? They get you to pay 60 or 120 dollars and then pressure you into getting a credit card by refusing others, while feeding you free food.
Actually Costco will take any visa credit card and any pin based debit card.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:03 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Hmmm. . . This is a bit strange. Over the years, Costco has had three different exclusive use contracts for credit cards, first Discover, then AmEx, and currently VISA. Their website details acceptable payment types, and MasterCard is only accepted online.

https://customerservice.costco.com/a...d-at-costco%3F
Credit cards have a per use charge a business must pay as each contract is up they switch to the vendor with the best rate. Its why so many places will not take American Express their per transaction charge is too high. The online site host may offer better rates with their service which is why mc is accepted.

You don't have to join Costco and you can pay with a number of other options so why get offended over their policies, if its not for you then shop where you like...

Old 04-16-2020, 03:04 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Its more than just a place to shop, its a lifestyle for many:
https://www.sheknows.com/health-and-...resist-costco/

People go on dates to Costco, one couple got married there, and even those that don't go that far see it as a cultural activity.
And people get married at Walmart,so what?
https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...t-wedding.html

Old 04-16-2020, 03:06 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/22/hook...-fanatics.html

Of course.

I use to think Costco was like a low end Walmart that middle class Americans would go to so they could buy a bunch of cheap junk.

But it was my surprise to learn Americans over all wage levels go there. This smart attractive girl I know goes to Costco with her friends, most of my family also go to Costco to my surprise, as well as a bunch of celebrities.

I was wondering why people were so obsessed with Costco then I realized it was the manifestation of modern day America. Inside a strip mall, subscription fees, easy credit spending, cheap goods from overseas and factory farms, promotes over-consumption, and acts as a social meeting ground for a bunch of people.

It is very sad to see.
I disagree EA is clearly the worst company in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies