Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 10:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The Costco model is a grey warehouse with inventory spread out as if you were in a massive storage facility.

And Americans love going inside, and share a nationalized shopping experience regardless of where they live. It is a new social culture for people, but something that on face value suggest a deeper rot.

Watching people line up to go inside makes me question how such a displeasing place can sustain itself as a social icon for people all across this country.
I think a lot of it is based upon who is NOT at Costco: The "People of Walmart", gangbangers, and other dirtbags who will not pay for a membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 10:54 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
The Costco model is a grey warehouse with inventory spread out as if you were in a massive storage facility.

And Americans love going inside, and share a nationalized shopping experience regardless of where they live. It is a new social culture for people, but something that on face value suggest a deeper rot.

Watching people line up to go inside makes me question how such a displeasing place can sustain itself as a social icon for people all across this country.

You can surmise that it would be displeasing, but you don't know for certain because you've never been inside one .

Old 04-17-2020, 03:12 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Other countries have Costco and other membership warehouse operarators, this is not unique to the US.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-17-2020 at 03:38 AM..

Old 04-17-2020, 05:10 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I got gas at the Augusta Pines Walmart (just outside of Creekside Park, near the Augusta Pines Golf Club) a couple of days ago and I paid $1.36 9/10.

Gas Buddy is currently showing that station at $1.35, and is showing the Willowbrook Costco also at $1.35.

Gas Buddy is showing the Sawdust Walmart at $1.45, and is showing the 242/45 Costco also at $1.45.

IIRC, the price is contingent on the last shipment a station received. Is that they way stations price? Since the Russians and Saudi's are making a deal that cheap gas is gonna go up again.

We are close to Costco it is easy to get gasoline, especially since we used to walk Willowbrook Mall 6 days a week.

But that 4% rebate goes into my rathole, so we buy Costco.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:14 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:

I'm in agreement with you for me, personally. As someone else mentioned, I don't need that much stuff all at once, so most of it would go bad before I ever got to it, which would be a waste of money.

For non perishable items, I am not going to pay a $60 membership fee so that I can get a gigantic package of paper towels or Clorox wipes. I don't go through paper products that fast as it is, and the cost of the membership would mean I didn't actually save anything.

Plus, for me, personally, a person who does not have a lot of stuff by choice, membership stores (warehouses) and Wally World really just gross me out. I see people shoving hand carts, giant shopping carts, (Wally World has huge shopping carts), and they are filled to the top, and sometimes they have more than one!

I've seen people climbing shelves when I have been in them. (I got a Costco membership for free one time due to a job I held - no, I did not work for Costco.) To me, it all looks like extreme gluttony. I was in a Wally World in their grocery section for the first time in my life a few years back. This is where I actually saw people physically climbing the shelves. I wasn't even fully into the store yet, I was still at the entrance - with that huge cart, and seeing all of these other huge carts overflowing with products, people climbing shelves...it was more than I could handle. To me, personally, I view it as gluttony and it truly does disgust me.

HAVING SAID THAT, I realize that some people have larger families, and going to bulk warehouse type stores probably does save them some money. I also know that sometimes smaller businesses will shop at those warehouse stores when they need a certain product and their shipment for more doesn't come in for another week. So, I get it a little why some people shop at those places.

In the end, it's not my business why they do. It's their money, they can spend it as they see fit. If they want to buy 5 lb containers of potato salad, it's not my place to tell them that they are wrong.

And yes, Costco does treat their employees very well.

You don't have to like it, I don't have to like it, that's fine. We don't like it. But others do, so who cares.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:36 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
Kudos! One of the best responses I have seen in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

You don't have to like it, I don't have to like it, that's fine. We don't like it. But others do, so who cares.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:39 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
In the end, it's not my business why they do. It's their money, they can spend it as they see fit. If they want to buy 5 lb containers of potato salad, it's not my place to tell them that they are wrong.
I'm surprised that you acknowledge that some people have larger families yet still just broad brush condemn people for buying a 5lb container of potato salad? That makes no sense.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:43 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm surprised that you acknowledge that some people have larger families yet still just broad brush condemn people for buying a 5lb container of potato salad? That makes no sense.
It's not surprising when you put it in context with the rest of my post.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:44 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I got gas at the Augusta Pines Walmart (just outside of Creekside Park, near the Augusta Pines Golf Club) a couple of days ago and I paid $1.36 9/10.

Gas Buddy is currently showing that station at $1.35, and is showing the Willowbrook Costco also at $1.35.

Gas Buddy is showing the Sawdust Walmart at $1.45, and is showing the 242/45 Costco also at $1.45.

FYI annual membership (and credit card possibly) rewards will take another 6% off.

Where I live they're typically 5 cents cheaper than the surrounding gas stations not counting the member kick-backs.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:50 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I have been given gift cards to BJ's and Sam's club. I just don't go there and I doubt I would go to Costco, none in my area of Florida. I shop for variety not bulk ... I would throw most of the stuff away because I get tired of a product and want something new to eat. That is just me... I don't have a large family in my home .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies