Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 07:27 PM

7,485 posts, read 7,143,277 times

Advertisements

Like anything else you have to be aware of what you're buying and some things are not worth buying at Costco.

Overall it's an awesome place. let alone great deals especially when you look for their monthly coupon book, best in the industry return policy, and excellent customer service whenever needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If you do all of your shopping at Costco, I have found this to be true, at least in my situation. The commissary had things for less money (yes, I know not everyone has commissary access, but I've found this true of some other locations, too) and I'd basically shop around to get the best deals at whichever location for a particular item(s). The Kirkland products can really be a good deal, and really good quality, too, I must confess.

Note, I first got my Costco membership for the cheap gas. But I found that this, too, was generally not as it seemed (again, for my particular situation) as the constant price fluctuations (they would lower the price below a certain amount a couple of times a week and then raise it during other parts of the week, despite oil prices not changing, as a way to lure people in . . . and it worked for me) made gas on base a much cheaper alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 07:29 PM

7,485 posts, read 7,143,277 times
Walmart and Costco are both amazing stores. However they cater to two entirely different purposes and you don't go to one and try to do all your shopping.

Walmart is Walmart and Costco is Costco.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:54 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,947,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I'm thinking someone had their application rejected at Costco...
I'm beginning to think that someone loaded the word "Costco" and the glossary of a Sociology 101 textbook into a very small shell script.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:47 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,810,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'm beginning to think that someone loaded the word "Costco" and the glossary of a Sociology 101 textbook into a very small shell script.
Yes, with the glossary indexed by a random number generator.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:55 PM

52,160 posts, read 52,602,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Yes, with the glossary indexed by a random number generator.
The OP is a person that frames their thougts and views through the prism that America sucks. He's done it for as long as I've noticed his posts. I get that we have problems, here, I get it...........

Old 04-19-2020, 10:33 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,810,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The OP is a person that frames their thougts and views through the prism that America sucks. He's done it for as long as I've noticed his posts. I get that we have problems, here, I get it...........
I think his prism is more of, "life sucks". He seems to be searching for something that he cannot articulate. Probably clinically depressed.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:08 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Its the choices we make as a country, and most people don't seem to care where this country is going or what it should look like.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:22 AM

78,271 posts, read 60,479,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I can't go to any grocery store - doctor's orders that my medical condition does not allow this. I am too immune compromised, and too likely to contract Covid 19. I am using stores that have delivery. I wonder if I can get a pro-rated refund on my membership at Costco.
Don't know, We're in a similar boat and we have a friend that goes for us.

There may be adds for private shoppers and there may be curbside pick-up options near you as well.

Lots of things are changing due to Covid so I would call them and ask.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:26 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,375,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/22/hook...-fanatics.html

Of course.

I use to think Costco was like a low end Walmart that middle class Americans would go to so they could buy a bunch of cheap junk.

But it was my surprise to learn Americans over all wage levels go there. This smart attractive girl I know goes to Costco with her friends, most of my family also go to Costco to my surprise, as well as a bunch of celebrities.

I was wondering why people were so obsessed with Costco then I realized it was the manifestation of modern day America. Inside a strip mall, subscription fees, easy credit spending, cheap goods from overseas and factory farms, promotes over-consumption, and acts as a social meeting ground for a bunch of people.

It is very sad to see.
In a word, yes. Another version of the rush to the bottom as demonstrated in the film, "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" with low wages and the destruction of our town and cities in an effort to save a few cents. Ultimately, the veil of 'savings' ends up costing the community and society much more than is saved.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:36 AM

42,832 posts, read 26,212,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
People don't
Just because it gives them immediate pleasure to buy more for less doesn't mean they are deciding how they want this country to look or who should manage its capital.
People have to look at the bigger picture and ask what type of structural society we should live in and what our virtues should be.
Practical spending, increased investment, homogeneity, and a commuter life style, or something based on community, local traditions, environment, and beauty.
There are sacrifices either way, but short term gain isn't the best for anyone.
I am not trying to be rude, that sounds like it came from a college freshman who just got his Introduction to the Social Sciences textbook. If you want a discussion make this specific, if I read "structural society" again I will gag I swear. If you don't like Costco then name a store you like and tell us why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies