Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 10:16 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times

Advertisements

I go to BJ's, not Costco. IT's just me and my wife. My main shopping is at Shaw Super Market, but there are items bought in bulk I use regularly that save me money. For instance I like Starbucks for my Keurig but per pod costs at Shaws are over .75/pod. At BJ's with the regular coupon they have I get 73 pods for $31, .43/pod. Rice, canned goods, cream cheese, frozen veggies - all much more economical at BJ's. How is a business saving consumers money a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 10:22 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Walmart does have good benefits as well. Sometimes I do not know where some people get their information.
From my Grandfather who worked for them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2020, 10:23 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
I'm not surprised most people here like Costco, it seems to match with my real world experiences.

Its is from my perspective an unasthetically pleasing place overstocked, designed to get people to shop for more. Its not just a sales venue, but a social construct many of you enjoy.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:24 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It depends on the item.

I've found that Dollar Tree can't be beat on price/value on ballpoint pens. Re Sharpies...in the point and package size that I like...Target can't be beat. Re my toothpaste...Walmart can't be beat. Ream of 500 sheets of copy paper...Walmart.
I would never think to price check items like that. I usually have stuff like that added to my Amazon orders. Costco toothpaste is cheaper than Walmart last time I checked. Which has been awhile.... Once I establish which stores are giving me a generally good buy, I just shop. I price check for large purchases.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2020, 10:27 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/22/hook...-fanatics.html

Of course.

I use to think Costco was like a low end Walmart that middle class Americans would go to so they could buy a bunch of cheap junk.

But it was my surprise to learn Americans over all wage levels go there. This smart attractive girl I know goes to Costco with her friends, most of my family also go to Costco to my surprise, as well as a bunch of celebrities.

I was wondering why people were so obsessed with Costco then I realized it was the manifestation of modern day America. Inside a strip mall, subscription fees, easy credit spending, cheap goods from overseas and factory farms, promotes over-consumption, and acts as a social meeting ground for a bunch of people.

It is very sad to see.
Have you even bothered to visit one or is it too great a trip to come off of your lofty perch and come down to earth? Costco represents middle/upper end shopping needs by providing everyday items in larger sizes/quantities. They have their own brand Kirkland which we like for a lot of items, the meats are great and house holdcleaning items don't go bad in the pantry.Its a way to shop, we learned bulk shopping from the military commissaries where larger sizes are the norm, you just get used to it.

I guess everyone doesn't have the option to shop local farm to table the way you do and paying more so I can buy everything from main street merchants who most likely are selling goods from the same "cheap goods from overseas" just in smaller amounts and at a higher price.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:31 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm not surprised most people here like Costco, it seems to match with my real world experiences.

Its is from my perspective an unasthetically pleasing place overstocked, designed to get people to shop for more. Its not just a sales venue, but a social construct many of you enjoy.
I have a lot of friends who shop at Costcos, and if they could use all their food without wasting, whom are you to judge and say they "overstocked?"

Plus, shopping is a personal preference. Free market is the answer to many real world problems. Costco is a great company for people with a larger family.

What's the problem? Plus, what "high end" "low end" has anything to do with how people shop? A lot of millionaires I know shop at dollar stores, a few welfare check recipients like to buy expensive stuff they cannot afford. How they shop is still none of my business.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:31 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Hey, me too!

Same here. Their return policy, btw., is pretty awesome. Wouldn't suggest buying electronics anywhere else.

Also, they have one thing that Wal-mart and the like do not: They treat their employees decently. Which is of course one of the reasons that a lot of right-wingers hate them.
Winterfall is left-wing I thought. Would you like me to point out the "right-wingers" on this thread to you?

Old 04-15-2020, 10:35 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I like Costco and go there at least once a week, usually more. First off, they have a good selection of products at very good prices. Their meat department features some ready to cook items that make it easy to have a nice dinner and not do all the prep work yourself. They also have a good selection of fresh seafood.

I also like the large packages of things like toilet tissue, paper towels, water, etc. Plus, I get all my prescriptions filled there, and they are MUCH CHEAPER. I was paying over $100 for one of my meds, and I now get it at Costco for $19.00 ! Gas is another savings...….every car I own runs on Premium, and I generally save about 20 cents a gallon buying it there.

Finally, all of their people treat their customers like gold. Any time I have wanted to bring something back, no questions, they smile and just return it. The stores are also clean and well stocked and organized. On the way out, I usually grab something to eat from the deli, and they have a nice selection at super low prices.

Did I mention I like Costco ? (Oh, and we get a check back at the end of each year based on how much we buy there)
Love the check. Ours comes in February. When they had Amex we got 2, one from Costco and one from Amex. Totalled around $500 a year. Paid for grandson.s Christmas present.

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Winterfall is left-wing. Would you like me to point out the "right-wingers" on this thread to you?
They can't help it. Have to trash right-wingers every chance they have.

"there is a dog pooping in my yard, must be a Republican dog."

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
In order to get value from warehouse store quantities and sizes you need ample storage space and enough people to consume the products. Many households these days are small - singles , couples or one or two kids. So I'm not sure why those stores are so popular. I prefer to buy on sale or use coupons at my local markets if I want to save money, and I don't have to use up precious space in my home to store a bunch of stuff, half of which will probably be wasted or go bad.

I think of the warehouse stores Costco gets the highest ratings.

Personally I don't like the atmosphere at those places or any big box stores but I could hold my nose and go there occasionally if there was a significant advantage to me but there isn't. If I had four or five kids and a mega mcmansion, sure.
You forget that many of the customers for Costco are small "mom and pop" businesses. They are purchasing for resale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies