Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 11:51 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I am more than willing to put those achievements up against any other minority group who has faced the same challenges in that short amount of time.
Jews? Chinese immigrants fleeing religious persecution? Indian peasants? Not a favorable comparison....

Of course, rather than name minority groups, I'd rather just ask why people in general aren't successful in America. It's ultimately for the same reasons across social strata. Some people just don't choose to see these same reasons in the same light. And those cultural barriers are worth addressing.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatescape View Post
My coworker is Black and fits every stereotype I ever had of Black people, it's sad.

Late everyday, steals company time, hits on woman and constantly says sexually degrading things, is lazy, falls asleep at work, etc etc. It's ridiculous, and he says he doesn't like the stereotypes that Blacks have.
Yep, you said it correctly...those are the stereotypes YOU have.

What does the fact that you have a unprofessional and rude co-worker who is black have anything to do with black people in general?

Old 03-15-2009, 07:22 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times
Quote:

Late everyday, steals company time, hits on woman and constantly says sexually degrading things, is lazy, falls asleep at work, etc etc. .
Dang, and for a minute there I thought you was gonna describe a typical white boy........................Gen xer.......

Old 03-15-2009, 07:36 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
To the OP:

Here's another little reason, institutionalized theft perpetrated against black motorists:
Driving through Tenaha, Texas, doesn't pay for some - Los Angeles Times

If this is a true, unbiased account of what happens in Tenaha, the feds should shut this town down. Maybe we could use it as a testing site for one of our nuke warheads - its about time we broke a treaty or two.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:11 AM

15 posts, read 20,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
What does the fact that you have a unprofessional and rude co-worker who is black have anything to do with black people in general?
That it seems it is how the majority of them act.

We can dance around it all day but their crime rate per population is outrageous and nearly every place on earth where there are Black people they are responsible for a disproportional amount of crime... yet it's somehow not their fault, it's racism.

Funny how Asians in America don't experience this 'racism' that Blacks or Hispanics do. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the crime and violence that some groups bring.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:42 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:
That it seems it is how the majority of them act.
We can dance around it all day but their crime rate per population is outrageous and nearly every place on earth where there are Black people they are responsible for a disproportional amount of crime... yet it's somehow not their fault, it's racism.

Funny how Asians in America don't experience this 'racism' that Blacks or Hispanics do. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the crime and violence that some groups bring.

That is according to your view of the unprofessional people you have worked with. What you are failing to realize is that those people represent themselves, not a race as a whole. It seems like it's hard for people to understand that. I'm guessing that it's not so hard, it's just that people DON'T want to understand it because it challenges their narrow-minded views.

It's the same as if I was to see a white person or group of white people being disrespectful. I am educated enough to know that they are representing themselves badly, not the whole race.

I know its hard to shift out of your comfort zone, but you should try it sometime. Applying critical thinking can work wonders.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:41 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Many of the problems that blacks and Hispanics are blamed for are the failures of the inner cities and urban areas which blacks and Hispanics populate disproportionately. In small towns and rural America blacks and Hispanics don’t seem to have the same problem as minorities in big cities in fact many of them are doing as good or better than their white counter parts. Social problems are created by urban America and the inhabitants of these parts of a city are prone to the stereotypical behavior. During the 1880’s when Immigrants from all over Europe, Asia, and parts of the Middle East began to populate all the Major cities, they too were labeled as Gangsters, Drug Dealers, ***** Mongers and people who by their ethnicity were not suited to live among civilized whites. When you look at the races of men registering for the draft in WWI there was a separate designation for Caucasian and one for White. Until minorities leave the Urban areas their is no better definition for success than to escape. Even W.E.B. Dubois warned about black people living in " Black enclaves" 100 years ago.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 03-15-2009 at 01:54 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 02:18 PM

707 posts, read 1,021,890 times
Quote:
My coworker is Black and fits every stereotype I ever had of Black people, it's sad.

Late everyday, steals company time, hits on woman and constantly says sexually degrading things, is lazy, falls asleep at work, etc etc. It's ridiculous, and he says he doesn't like the stereotypes that Blacks have.

hmmm sounds like someone has lead a very sheltered life, because that description fits a few other ethnic groups that i'm aware of, except their in a managerial position.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:29 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
hmmm sounds like someone has lead a very sheltered life, because that description fits a few other ethnic groups that i'm aware of, except their in a managerial position.
They're they're they're....nails on a chalkboard....they're!!! (cha cha)

Just doing my duty to clean up the English language--one post at a time. I'll leave the other issues be in that post. Consider me generous today.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:44 PM

932 posts, read 1,676,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
They're they're they're....nails on a chalkboard....they're!!! (cha cha)

Just doing my duty to clean up the English language--one post at a time. I'll leave the other issues be in that post. Consider me generous today.
They're meaning they are...she meant to use it as their...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies