Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times

Advertisements

Thank you, drkman and NewToCA for your unbiased contribution to this discussion. Unfortunately, some simply refuse to accept any information pertaining to black people that does not support their stereotypical mindset.

Even if 10 or 15 percent of black people in this country were miscreants, it would still leave the VAST MAJORITY of 85 to 90 percent as law-abiding. The ‘concerned’ on this forum don’t want to focus on the positive; that’s no fun. After all, if they were willing to acknowledge the truth, they wouldn’t be able to rationalize the incessant threads aimed at understanding or “fixing” the depraved black race.

I enjoy a good debate. However, these recurring black-bashing threads have become tiresome, and serve no purpose. Of course, that’s simply my opinion.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 PM

196 posts, read 208,389 times
maybe a Jewish person should help you all out.... after this long, how much more guidance do you all need to figure out that success isnt a racial monopoly....

Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 PM

983 posts, read 3,598,260 times
Default Positif dikit lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Even if 10 or 15 percent of black people in this country were miscreants, it would still leave the VAST MAJORITY of 85 to 90 percent as law-abiding. The ‘concerned’ on this forum don’t want to focus on the positive; that’s no fun. After all, if they were willing to acknowledge the truth, they wouldn’t be able to rationalize the incessant threads aimed at understanding or “fixing” the depraved black race.
This reminds me of what I read:
Most of Blacks surveyed believed that three fourths (75%) of Blacks lived in Ghettos. Very far from the truth.

One step is stopping being so negative about yourselves. Remember that the subjects of the survey above were Blacks themselves.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:21 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I am saying in a genral sense. Now there are many,many successful blacks in this country but there are still waaaay to many the dwell at the bottom. I do understand racism but I really would like to take that out of the equation and look at things that blacks themsleves can do. We, blacks, cannot control the way whites treat us not can we make them change that kind of behavior but we can controll ourselves.

So what can we do to get a more stable footing in America? I ask this question because I sure would like to do more than just mentor black kids, I don'think I'm doing enough, that is far from enough. Blacks have to do much more. I would like to hear any suggestions or opinions........
Great question..I also ask myself how blacks succeeded at varying degrees even in times of the most blatant racism, depravation and few opportunities, such as in the early and middle part of the last century. Yet for some reason, many blacks today have more chances to succeed than ever, yet do not.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:26 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,175 times
Maybe the issue has to do with the nation as a whole. This nation is far from one. We are a very divided nation and most of us don't even know our neighbors across the street. Maybe if we all truly took time to get to know one another, and engage in some conversation with ALL walks of life, things would change. This may sound cheesy but this nation needs to get back to basics which would be to help out your neighbor across the street. To learn about them, trust them and share with them. Its time that people start to build a community feeling again.

How we go about this, I have no idea. But its just a thought.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:33 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,175 times
I also think a lot of it has to do with the black mentality. Blacks need to understand that they CAN do it if they want it. Many seem to be doomed at birth with all the negative stigma that either they themselves, or other races have imposed on them. As a white man, I feel that racism from whites toward blacks gets way more attention than it deserves, and creates a false sense of national racism that goes on far less than is perceived.

We as a nation should start giving attention to successful blacks that made it through hard work, education, and personal goals. There are plenty in this population and it gets very little attention. The negatives in the black community get all the attention while the positive that goes on gets almost no attention. The negative is glorified while the positive is ignored. What kind of sense does this make? It's extremely unhealthy for the black community and the nation as a whole for the prosperity of our nation.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:20 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
There are many things blacks can do move up the ladder of success. Ive said this many times before but some things that need to happen:

1. Stop being so worried about what Pastor "whats his name" says or put so much stock in church and start going to school and paying attention to what PROFESSOR "whats his name" says instead.

2. Parents need to stop speaking in terrible english around their children. Stop saying "I Be...", "Im fenda", "Yall is....", "let me ax you something". Establish and teach your children good grammer as this will go a long way.

3. Parents need to stop naming their children these weird a## names trying to be unique. If you child has an apostraphe or hypen in his/her name, unfortunately they WILL be looked at a certain way by society.

4. Parents need to expose their children to intellectual leaders and let them know why these people should be looked up to. Dont just talk about black people but ALL PEOPLE. Stop being so enamoured with sports figures.

5. Parent should expose their children to the arts (music, art, painting, sculpture, etc.).

Notice how most of what I say revolves around PARENTS because things must be taught to the next generation as I think this generation is lost. Too much rap music, cap on backwards, idolization of sports figures, and you just cant go back and learn how to speak correct english when you are 14 years old or older.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:19 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,860 times
Completely agree with DaBeez.
Just because you weren't raised in an environment in which good grammar, reading, education, healthy eating, appreciation of arts, etc. were actively encouraged doesn't mean you must do the same for the next generation. Be good parents, the first step is to wait before having children, then get married, then stay together for a little while to make sure it will work, make sure you have good jobs and a little money in the bank, then have a baby, maybe 2, no more please unless you have a really good job and a lot of family support.
Of course if it was this easy, then it probably would have already happened. As a white female, I feel that I have personally benefited from the fact that my family, in general, has remained fairly stable over the past 3 or 4 generations, I have seen my great grandparents, grandparents, various aunts and uncles get married and stay married, most aunts, uncles, cousins graduated from high school, then college, most in my family have owned homes, some have owned businesses. The point is that this has been an established pattern in my family for quite some time, those in my family that have not followed these norms have been considered, and treated, as outcasts in many ways. I find this to be the opposite in many black families.
It is sometimes hard to see life from a different perspective, to even think that there might be something else out there that you haven't seen, it's scary to step into a world that you haven't experienced, and I think that might be an obstacle for many in the black community, even if the world you live in isn't that great, at least you know it, it's comfortable, and you know you will find a way to survive. If you try something else, you might fail and then what? go back to the world you left and try to make the best of it. It takes courage to make that change.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:42 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Exactly. Another thing that is an absolute must - black women need to stop having babies by good for nothing fathers. If you want to have children, get married first, then have kids. I hate to see young girls having babies when they themselves are still babies. People say the biggest threats to black youth today are gangs, drugs, guns and AIDS - I say no way. Having babies out of wedlock is a bigger threat. Grandma cannot raise your child. A normal nuclear household is always better for children. That is a household with a FATHER and a mother.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
US Census information shows a direct linkage between educational level and income, what critical data do you have showing this doesn't apply to African Americans too? (See table 680):
What are you talking about? I challenged the definition of education-- Which is exactly what Ron was implying and you and Nito couldn't see.

What is education? What are the characteristics that make one education good and the other bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies