Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 04:15 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I guess you've never served. Enlisted persons don't say "Yes Lieutenant" or the like. It's "Yes/No Sir/Ma'am".
I guess it is a customs and cultural issue. I recognized that when I was addressed as "Lieutenant", being a long word that could be drawn out for emphasis and not "sir" or "L.T." that I was being sent a message that I needed to check myself and the decision I had just made
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 04:26 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
There are many who diss Canada and the sacrifice it's armed forces have made.
And who would they be?

Old 04-16-2020, 04:29 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Way to tackle those nuts and bolts kitchen table issues.
Like it or hate it, the following is only my opinion:

Well done.............
We'll know the answer when crooked furniture is in !..........front and center of Country Living Magazine.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:33 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
Like it or hate it, the following is only my opinion:

Simple Solution...............Address people by last name...........to bad for those whose last name is uglyface..............(sarcasm)

Old 04-16-2020, 06:57 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I guess you've never served. Enlisted persons don't say "Yes Lieutenant" or the like. It's "Yes/No Sir/Ma'am".
I guess I did serve and you just missed the part where I stated they WOULD CHANGE if they were required to.

I even explained that "Change" in common practice further with examples of the "CHANGE" if required.

Next time read the post fer chrissake.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:06 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
https://thepostmillennial.com/canadi...dered-pronouns

Why are we letting freaks and weirdos hold our society hostage?
This is a good first step. I think most conservatives agree that a person should be graded on their ability to do the job, not on some freak or weirdos hangups on what they do in their private life.

I get your point, and I agree that people have gone too far (militant in some cases) with the whole gender-thing, and yes, I'm talking about the same people as you in this case. But from a POLICY point of view, the better thing to do is to just focus on the relevant info, and what is relevant is doing their job.

Freaks and weirdos include people are hung up on their pronouns, whether it be people who insist on being labelled one way or another, or people who refuse to acknowledge certain groups. The better path is to ignore all that crap, and focus on the relevant. That is what this policy seems to do.

This policy allows them (EVERYBODY, not just the side that you don't like) to get past identity politics. What's wrong with that?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:10 AM

29,795 posts, read 24,876,501 times
That will certainly prepare them for the next war

Old 04-16-2020, 07:14 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
Seriously, this is giving you the vapours? Did you go to the source material?

The memo is in respect to PER which I would assume means Personal or Personnel Evaluation Report based on the context.

The memo says that all PERS are required to address the member being reported on by their rank and name or by the pronouns they or their.

So the PER for Lt. Sandy Harmon will refer to Lt. Sandy Harmon as either Lt. Sandy Harmon or they and refer the possessive as Lt. Sandy Harmon's or their.

How is standardizing a report such a big deal.

There is nothing saying the Armed Forces members need to stop using he or she, in the normal course of conversation.
Well, the Canadian military has managed to deny science and grammar in one fell swoop.

And I would NEVER call one person "they" or "their". It's just stupid.

To what degree must I participate in someone else's mental illness?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:15 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,272,235 times
Ironically you can call someone an a—hole and it would be fine. Just not the wrong pronoun.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:38 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Well, the Canadian military has managed to deny science and grammar in one fell swoop.

And I would NEVER call one person "they" or "their". It's just stupid.

To what degree must I participate in someone else's mental illness?
Reading comprehension is somewhat helpful.

"CANFORGEN 045/20 CMP 021 20 131946Z FEB 20
CHANGES TO CAF PER FOR 2019/2020
UNCLASSIFIED

5. PART III - CFPAS UPDATES FOR 2019/20 REPORTING YEAR

F. ALSO BASED ON A RECENT CAF CULTURAL AND NORMATIVE SHIFT TO PROMOTE GENDER DIVERSITY AND ASSOCIATED INCLUSIVENESS, CFPAS WRITING POLICY AND GUIDE WILL ALSO REFLECT THIS NEW REALITY WHERE SEX, GENDER IDENTITY AND GENDER EXPRESSION ARE PROHIBITED GROUNDS OF DISCRIMINATION UNDER THE CANADIAN HUMAN RIGHTS ACT. FORTHWITH THE USE OF GENDER PRONOUNS SUCH AS QUOTE HE/HIS AND SHE/HER UNQUOTE ARE NOT TO BE USED WHEN DRAFTING PERS. MEMBERS WILL BE REFERRED TO BY RANK AND NAME OR BY USING GENDER-NEUTRAL PRONOUNS SUCH AS THEY/THEIR."

The memo only applies to the filling out of a PER form when submitting an application for promotion and "writing" down the particulars. A reference to the individuals full name and rank will appear as normal but further "comments" will be in the form of eg: "their demonstrated skill of leadership …… " INSTEAD of "his or her demonstrated....."

Are we getting it now? This is only referring to the PER (personal evaluation references) submitted by their immediate superior.

There is no mention of the spoken personal addressing of anyone by anyone at any time at all in the memo...
You can all unbunch your tighty whities now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies