Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 05:39 PM

18,650 posts, read 7,495,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
If you get "Payment status not available" it's because you aren't on the list of people getting a check. It means you're not eligible. Most likely you earn too much money.
My wife and I are "Married filing jointly". Everything I've heard is that people with that status who make less than $150,000/year, are eligible for $2,400 plus $500 for each dependent child living at the house.

My wife and I made a lot less than that last year.

So that's not the reason. What, exactly, DOES that message mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 05:47 PM

From a New York Times article published today (April 15, 2020):

Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/article/coro...s-answers.html

F.A.Q. on Stimulus Checks, Unemployment and the Coronavirus Plan

By Tara Siegel Bernard and Ron Lieber
April 15, 2020, 11:57 a.m. ET

Q: How do I know if I will get the full amount?

A: It depends on your income. Single adults with Social Security numbers who have an adjusted gross income of $75,000 or less will get the full amount. Married couples with no children earning $150,000 or less will receive a total of $2,400. And taxpayers filing as head of household will get the full payment if they earned $112,500 or less.
I think "the full amount" for single adults means $1,200.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:50 PM

23,019 posts, read 12,142,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
My wife and I are "Married filing jointly". Everything I've heard is that people with that status who make less than $150,000/year, are eligible for $2,400 plus $500 for each dependent child living at the house.

My wife and I made a lot less than that last year.

So that's not the reason. What, exactly, DOES that message mean?
Just a guess on my part...
Since they are doing this in batches, it's possible that they don't have the info of those who are not in the 'current batch' that they are working on. Perhaps the info might pop up once this batch is paid out and they move on to the next batch, or the batch after that . and so on.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:53 PM

14,213 posts, read 11,504,725 times
I got that message too, and the article that I had been reading that linked to the IRS website said that another reason your status may not be available is that you recently filed your 2019 tax return and it hasn't made its way through the system fully. Our return was filed about a month ago, so I don't know what they mean by "recently," but I'm hoping that's why I got the message.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:09 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,247,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
If you get "Payment status not available" it's because you aren't on the list of people getting a check. It means you're not eligible. Most likely you earn too much money.
Nah - we are clearly eligible and have deliberately not filed the 2019 return yet. It appears that SS recipients are tied up in some dicker between the IRS and SS. And we have two reasonably large SS incomes involved.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:15 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,250,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I recently spent 3 bathroom breaks, two bottled waters, and a package of peanut butter crackers (or 5.5 hours) in my accountants office trying to work out an IRS bill. Five hours of that time was spent listening to hold music and trading IRS jokes back and forth w/my accountant and her assistant. A half hour of it was divided up in talking to no less than five agents as they either bounced our call from dept to another or sometimes just hung up on us because none of the agents knew how to resolve my issue. I left my accountants office no further ahead than when I entered. Meanwhile, the penalties and interest continue to accrue on a bill I was willing to settle that day
And FYI if you leave your number with expectation that someone will get back to you, I think they may still be working on return calls from 1993
Like my lawyer told me earlier this year: People are not safe from a tax audit even after death.

Yes, apparently the IRS can and has audited folks who have died. The logic being that person can't fight the audit (without a Ouija board anyway) and the heirs are prone to comply/settle to get it over with.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:34 PM

8,286 posts, read 3,766,677 times
Quote:
Here is the URL for the IRS website where you can check the status of your stimulus payment:

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-wmsp/login

Good luck getting to it. You often get a screen saying something like, "Due to unusually heavy demand, we can't serve you right now. Keep staring at this screen and eventually the site will appear"... or something close to that. I kept looking at it, and after about 10 minutes the login screen appeared.

Then when you do finally get in, you might get another screen saying:

...as I have gotten, a few minutes ago. It makes no suggestions about what additional info it needs.

But that's the URL anyway.

I am not eligible and I get that same message.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:34 PM

45,040 posts, read 26,201,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Like my lawyer told me earlier this year: People are not safe from a tax audit even after death.

Yes, apparently the IRS can and has audited folks who have died. The logic being that person can't fight the audit (without a Ouija board anyway) and the heirs are prone to comply/settle to get it over with.
Sounds like the IRS took a page from the catholic church, which during the crusades would exhume the bodies of those it considered heretics, put the body on trial and take the wealth of the corpses decedents.

We're so much more civilized nowadays

Old 04-15-2020, 07:46 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,250,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sounds like the IRS took a page from the catholic church, which during the crusades would exhume the bodies of those it considered heretics, put the body on trial and take the wealth of the corpses decedents.

We're so much more civilized nowadays
LMAO.

I should have recalled that having been raised in a hardcore Catholic household (all Catholics are hardcore so that's a bit redundant).

Old 04-21-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Here is the URL for the IRS website where you can check the status of your stimulus payment:

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-wmsp/login

Good luck getting to it. You often get a screen saying something like, "Due to unusually heavy demand, we can't serve you right now. Keep staring at this screen and eventually the site will appear"... or something close to that. I kept looking at it, and after about 10 minutes the login screen appeared.

Then when you do finally get in, you might get another screen saying:

Payment Status Not Available

According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

...as I have gotten, a few minutes ago. It makes no suggestions about what additional info it needs.

But that's the URL anyway.
Just tried the site again, and got the same "cannot determine your eligibility" message.

Then tried it again with my wife's SSN, and got the same message again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies