Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 08:45 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

There are 157 million people in the American workforce. (or at least were). Considering the government forced shutdown of a large portion of our businesses, 22 million, or 15%, is lower than I personally expected. Given the number of businesses shut down and the people I know out of work, I was expecting more like 25-30%. Still a horrific number and it's essential to get the lockdown lifted ASAP. What is rough is that with every school shut down, a large number of parents will still have to stay home to raise their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 08:47 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Last week, 5.2 million people filed unemployment claims, bringing the total to 22 million in the four weeks since President Trump declared a national emergency. Anyone who said we would "only experience a recession" by shutting down the entire country was being overly optimistic

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...nging-n1185056
as humans, and as Americans we NEED to stay optimistic … yet from the tone of your thread, you seem to be cheering for a depression..... rather strange that liberals like yourself continue to want to see America hurt just because you hate trump

Old 04-16-2020, 08:51 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,262 times
Imagine having 22 million people without a job and thinking the guy who won with negative 3 million votes is a shoe in to win the General

Old 04-16-2020, 09:02 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Bill Gates did warn us before this all happened that human civilization was under threat from another pandemic. Along with scientists and health professionals. Maybe instead of being so focused on illegal immigrants who are trying hard to come here and contribute to our economy, we should of been more focused on the coming pandemic and heck, even climate change too, another threat to our civilization.
You are wrong. Illegal aliens (not illegal immigrants) are not coming here to contribute to our economy. They sneak in hoping to reap the benefits of living in the US while not following correct immigration protocols. They are uneducated, illiterate and whatever labor they would do is being replaced by robots or more efficient workplace practices like mechanization.

I do agree with you that we should have been better prepared for this pandemic and that climate change is a real threat.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:04 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Your opinion isn’t the truth. It’s just your opinion. One should never begin to think so highly of themselves to proclaim every utterance out of their mouth as “the truthâ€.
His is threads wouldn’t bother you, which they obviously do, if you didn’t think he was telling the truth.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:07 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There are 157 million people in the American workforce. (or at least were). Considering the government forced shutdown of a large portion of our businesses, 22 million, or 15%, is lower than I personally expected. Given the number of businesses shut down and the people I know out of work, I was expecting more like 25-30%. Still a horrific number and it's essential to get the lockdown lifted ASAP. What is rough is that with every school shut down, a large number of parents will still have to stay home to raise their kids.
I think it will peak at 25-30% over the course of the next couple years and then slowly inch down throughout the rest of the decade.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Last week, 5.2 million people filed unemployment claims, bringing the total to 22 million in the four weeks since President Trump declared a national emergency. Anyone who said we would "only experience a recession" by shutting down the entire country was being overly optimistic

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...nging-n1185056
A depression occurs after back to back recessions.

A recession ends when indicators stabilize, which has nothing to do with recovery.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:14 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
The reason why people are calling to lift the lockdown ASAP is cause we've baked in a moral hazard into our economy. You're essentially saying let's trade money for lives.

The US economy has been running on the very edge for the longest time. Businesses don't save for a rainy day - they do stock buybacks and C-suite bonuses to enrich shareholders and executives. Individuals don't save for a rainy day instead go into massive debt and essentially live paycheck to paycheck.

As long as everyone's working - this will keep things moving. Now mother nature has come in and thrown you a invisible enemy that has forced you to stop working. Everything is now crashing. Who's fault is this?
Our fault. We are not prepared financially, don't care, and haven't care for the longest time. Now is the time to care.

EVERYONE should have AT LEAST $10k-15k in their savings for a rainy day, at that the minimum, $20k or more to be safe - more if you live in a high COL area. But everyone has been spending on credit and taking on debt. Buying excesses rather than save. And this is what you'd get - and of course the argument is, lift the lockdown. Because we cannot financially afford to live like this - no duh Sherlock if you don't have savings what do you expect?

So no, do not lift this lockdown. We all need to learn the hard way and change our financial habits. The next pandemic that comes will be the same exact issue if we continue as normal.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Like you, I am surprised it is not higher. I suspect that given most states are overwhelmed with claims, there may be a lag with numbers.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:28 AM

1,265 posts, read 445,089 times
Democrats are drooling for a depression. Guess they figure that's the only way they have to beat Trump

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-17-2020 at 06:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies