Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 01:24 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Totally agree with this 110%!!!

This has been the case all along.....and we can't point the finger at China about how and why we have dragged our feet in regards to testing the whole time. I don't accept that we have lacked the ability to do massive testing. What we have lacked is THE WILL. This is what makes me suspicious of this whole thing. It's like they were trying to hide something. Maybe the virus has been in the US longer and has been wide spread before China....and they don't want people to know that.....so wait long enough before you start doing massive testing so that it can be blamed on China. Motives, Means and opportunity. Not saying that is what happened......but I certainly don't believe that we did not have the capacity to get millions tested early....for anyone who wanted to take a test.
Your theory is only valid when America is the ONLY country follows this pattern (your bold). Will you say the same thing about every European country whose cases / per million is higher than ours? The ONLY country who knew about this virus but purposely hid the information is China. It is all public record. It is the Chinese who claimed this virus was not Person-to-person spreading back in the late December.

This said, regardless how mad you are,we are not going to test everybody to give people a peace of mind. There are two reasons for that: 1. just because you tested negative today, you can be positive tomorrow 2. a negative test will give false sense of security, so people who tested negative will likely to ignore the social distancing order. The experts still don't know if people can catch the coronavirus twice, there are a lot they still don't know.

My ER doctor uncle is still fine and he is not afraid. It is liberating for me to know that if he's still safe (after treating several covid-19 patients), then there are many ways we can do to protect ourselves. For example: social distancing, frequent hand washing, wearing a face cover when we go out, train our brains to know where our hands are all the time. No more face touching. Simply blaming the government is not the answer either.

Every country is mad as hell at their own government. Koreans and Japanese are mad because there were no travel bans. Grass is not greener on the other side.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-16-2020 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 01:30 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Michigan protestors sure sent the bottom of the barrel to this event, didn't they?

Old 04-16-2020, 01:32 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Put it like this. The people with the personality and views most likely to akin to those of people who would have a swastika are the people who wave the America flag around now. The American flag is the symbol of right wing extremism. "Murca"!!

Left-center here, you are wrong.

The American Flag is a symbol of America. That some right wingnuts wrap themselves in it and use it as a shield for their hate is no more relevant than some left-wingnuts wanting to socialize everything and eliminate our borders altogether. In BOTH cases, it represents a very vocal minority.

People on either wing/extreme get a lot of attention, and they are equally wrong.
I am against the wall, but also against totally opening the border.

You are just as bad as the people you are criticizing. There is room for most Americans in the 80% middle, and we can all get along.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:34 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
As a retired Medical Laboratory Scientist, I take great offense to statements like that. I have former colleagues, who are still in the field, who are specifically working on developing and validating tests for Covid-19. One friend in the field told me that today is her 16th straight day of work. I have others who are frequently working 16 hour days.

I have absolute confidence that my former colleagues, and others like them throughout the medical science field, have no evil, hidden motive for delaying on the development and implementation of tests for the virus. It was not possible to have a test for a virus that until recently did not exist in humans. But now that this virus does exist, numerous tests are being developed, including one that would give results in as little as an hour.

It's really frustrating that so many people who know nothing about viruses, nothing about epidemiology, perhaps almost nothing about biology, physiology, or immunology, feel like they somehow know more than people whose entire lives have been devoted to those fields. I would NEVER attack someone else's field, act like I know more than they do, and express such certainty that people throughout the field are "up to no good." It's ludicrous and insulting.
There was already a test used by the WHO!!!! I am not saying there was a collusion from scientist. What I am saying is that the CDC bottleneck-ed testing by first rejecting the WHO's test then waiting to create its own PCR test. Then, it limited testing, as a dictate, to only those who had traveled to China or abroad and was showing symptoms.

I am not blaming the scientist.....I am blaming the choices made by administrators and agencies. Test could have been made available to the general public long before now. We had the ability and capacity to do that....but we did not. We were even being told that not everyone needs to be tested. There was no mention even of a DESIRE or GOAL of doing sample testing to find the prevalence of the infection in the population. This was strange given that it was known that many carriers are asymptomatic. If you know many, and I believe MOST, carriers were asymptotic and were spreading the virus without knowing it......Damn if that would not inspire the nation to get the general population tested and not just those showing symptoms who traveled abroad.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
There was already a test used by the WHO!!!! I am not saying there was a collusion from scientist. What I am saying is that the CDC bottleneck-ed testing by first rejecting the WHO's test then waiting to create its own PCR test. Then, it limited testing, as a dictate, to only those who had traveled to China or abroad and was showing symptoms.

I am not blaming the scientist.....I am blaming the choices made by administrators and agencies. Test could have been made available to the general public long before now. We had the ability and capacity to do that....but we did not. We were even being told that not everyone needs to be tested. There was no mention even of a DESIRE or GOAL of doing sample testing to find the prevalence of the infection in the population. This was strange given that it was known that many carriers are asymptomatic. If you know many, and I believe MOST, carriers were asymptotic and were spreading the virus without knowing it......Damn if that would not inspire the nation to get the general population tested and not just those showing symptoms who traveled abroad.
Can't live in the past, please move forward. We are where we are now.

new York has done massive testing to give the nation a clear picture, (pretty scary picture actually) now the choice is ours. I will stay home as long as I should. You can only change your own behavior anyway. Living in the past and blaming this and that only makes your life more miserable.

I just assume 1 out of 100 people has been exposed to this virus one way or another, maybe I have too, I don't know. So what shall I do? Stay at home, get grocery delivered, eat less exercise more at home, no visitors, I cut my own hair, etc. These are the things I can control.

Quite frankly, I also understand the urgency to reopen our country. Maybe there will be an accurate antibody test, people take the test and go back to work, who knows?

I get tired of people who blame Trump, quite frankly, I don't see anybody who are happy with their own government right now. My aunt in Germany is afraid to go out because she believes her German government is hiding the truth. LOL My friend in Japan is complaining that there was no early travel ban from China, his own words "The Japanese government wants Chinese money, and they want to sacrifice all of us, and we don't even have mask, they were all bought by the Chinese." No one is happy, the world is suffering, we are all in this together.

Stop demonizing your fellow americans already. as if we are not miserable enough!

Old 04-16-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Your theory is only valid when America is the ONLY country follows this pattern (your bold). Will you say the same thing about every European country whose cases / per million is higher than ours? The ONLY country who knew about this virus but purposely hid the information is China. It is all public record. It is the Chinese who claimed this virus was not Person-to-person spreading back in the late December.

This said, regardless how mad you are,we are not going to test everybody to give people a peace of mind. There are two reasons for that: 1. just because you tested negative today, you can be positive tomorrow 2. a negative test will give false sense of security, so people who tested negative will likely to ignore the social distancing order. The experts still don't know if people can catch the coronavirus twice, there are a lot they still don't know.

My ER doctor uncle is still fine and he is not afraid. It is liberating for me to know that if he's still safe (after treating several covid-19 patients), then there are many ways we can do to protect ourselves. For example: social distancing, frequent hand washing, wearing a face cover when we go out, train our brains to know where our hands are all the time. No more face touching. Simply blaming the government is not the answer either.

Every country is mad as hell at their own government. Koreans and Japanese are mad because there were no travel bans. Grass is not greener on the other side.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/13/212151...ests-screening

We can't talk about what other countries have failed at when WE.....the USA....is considered a considerable step above the rest of the world. At least that is what I have been told most of my life. That the US is above other nation in abilities to get things done because our system promotes and rewards exceptionalism. We, therefore, should be BETTER than the other nations you want to lump us in with. "They failed too". Well....we are supposed to be BETTER than them.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:47 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Luckily my barber makes house calls. Had him over just this week for a fresh cut. Costs a bit more but worth it.
I've heard of a few people doing this. Makes me glad I just have a ponytail that I trim every 4 to 6 months.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/13/212151...ests-screening

We can't talk about what other countries have failed at when WE.....the USA....is considered a considerable step above the rest of the world. At least that is what I have been told most of my life. That the US is above other nation in abilities to get things done because our system promotes and rewards exceptionalism. We, therefore, should be BETTER than the other nations you want to lump us in with. "They failed too". Well....we are supposed to be BETTER than them.
Blame all you want if this makes you happy then. Plus, my point is not that you cannot hold your government accountable, my point is that it is HIGHLY unlikely that your government is hiding anything from you. Media is certainly not on the government's side.

you claim " This is what makes me suspicious of this whole thing. It's like they were trying to hide something. Maybe the virus has been in the US longer and has been wide spread before China.. I claim "This theory is ONLY valid if america is the only country follows this pattern. Quite frankly, all european countries are suffering too, are you saying all european countries are hiding the truth too?" Makes no sense.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Can't live in the past, please move forward. We are where we are now.

new York has done massive testing to give the nation a clear picture, (pretty scary picture actually) now the choice is ours. I will stay home as long as I should. You can only change your own behavior anyway. Living in the past and blaming this and that only makes your life more miserable.

I just assume 1 out of 100 people has been exposed to this virus one way or another, maybe I have too, I don't know. So what shall I do? Stay at home, get grocery delivered, eat less exercise more at home, no visitors, I cut my own hair, etc. These are the things I can control.

Quite frankly, I also understand the urgency to reopen our country. Maybe there will be an accurate antibody test, people take the test and go back to work, who knows?

I get tired of people who blame Trump, quite frankly, I don't see anybody who are happy with their own government right now. My aunt in Germany is afraid to go out because she believes her German government is hiding the truth. LOL My friend in Japan is complaining that there was no early travel ban from China, his own words "The Japanese government wants Chinese money, and they want to sacrifice all of us, and we don't even have mask, they were all bought by the Chinese." No one is happy, the world is suffering, we are all in this together.

Stop demonizing your fellow americans already. as if we are not miserable enough!
Not living in the past is always the position taken by those connected to the mistakes of the past.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Blame all you want if this makes you happy then. Plus, my point is not that you cannot hold your government accountable, my point is that it is HIGHLY unlikely that your government is hiding anything from you. Media is certainly not on the government's side.

you claim " This is what makes me suspicious of this whole thing. It's like they were trying to hide something. Maybe the virus has been in the US longer and has been wide spread before China.. I claim "This theory is ONLY valid is america is the only country follows this pattern. Quite frankly, all european countries are suffering too, are you saying all european countries are hiding the truth too?" Makes no sense.
Highly unlikely based upon what? What evidence do you have that its highly unlikely? How do you know....what it is that you don't know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies