Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 11:16 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times

Advertisements

Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

Being retired, I get to watch much T.V. and learned quite a bit of politics as it is
portrayed to the public from school yard scuffles between politicians to media
rehearsed questions......and the list goes on .

Prior to the Virus New York City was entering 2020 billions in the hole.

Along comes the Corona Crisis and the city ground to a halt only exacerbating
the solvency of the city/state.

The Mayor today pleaded for the President
to sign off on .....................you guessed it.................more money............for essential services.

The governor also speaking today later thanked the President for the Comfort ship,
the Javits Center Hospitalization refurbished by our military but says that's not enough.
He laments that more money is needed based on the Corona Virus numbers.
Numbers by the way that can be easily fudged....but let's say New York is truthfully reporting.
The Governor said and how I interpreted: If New York can not get back on its' feet so to the rest of the nation.

Which leads to this conclusion:

Is New York attempting to hold the Federal Government Hostage in a public and daily display of verbal humiliation
aimed at the President while using fear mongering as to the future of New York to its' citizens at home watching.

I have a funny feeling that one of two things will be of outcome.

1) New York gets its money.........the mayor and governor get bailed out........and the city suddenly experiences a
miracle and everybody can return to life as normal.

2) New York doesn't get the money and in turn continues to hold its citizens under restricted quarantines throughout
the summer months resulting in chaos, deterioration , increases in crimes up until the November elections as payback.

What is your opinion?
Curious minds would like to know.........

P.S. I am neither Republican or Democrat..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 11:24 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Every state has asked for and received federal funding, not just NY. My deep red state has received $1.25 billion already and has asked for more yet we are not a hard hit state as far as cases or deaths goes.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:27 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
All the states will want extra money. The states like New York that were already struggling will be even more desperate. I hate handouts but the states might need a bit of help with this one. I would advocate apportioning the amount to the population of the particular state.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:30 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
All the states want and need money. The bigger states need more.

That's how it works.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:30 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
All government, regardless of level, is an expert in kidnapping and other high crimes.

So yeah, I suppose it's possible.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:01 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

Being retired, I get to watch much T.V. and learned quite a bit of politics as it is

to sign off on .....................you guessed it.................more money............for essential services.

The governor also speaking today later thanked the President for the Comfort ship,
the Javits Center Hospitalization refurbished by our military but says that's not enough.
Numbers by the way that can be easily fudged....but let's say New York is truthfully reporting.
The Governor said and how I interpreted: If New York can not get back on its' feet so to the rest of the nation.

Is New York attempting to hold the Federal Government Hostage in a public and daily display of verbal humiliation
aimed at the President while using fear mongering as to the future of New York to its' citizens at home watching.

1) New York gets its money.........the mayor and governor get bailed out........and the city suddenly experiences a

2) New York doesn't get the money and in turn continues to hold its citizens under restricted quarantines throughout
the summer months resulting in chaos, deterioration , increases in crimes up until the November elections as payback.

What is your opinion?

If NYC cannot open up, then the businesses will just have to relocate.

Fed Govt, and Trump need to learn how to hold NYC hostage

Old 04-17-2020, 04:02 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
All the states want and need money. The bigger states need more.

That's how it works.
Especially those most impacted by this virus.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:04 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Gov. Bozo Cuomo wants to run for president in 2024.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:21 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
NY holding the feds hostage? That theory is a whole new level of crazy.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:49 PM

11,788 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

What is your opinion?

Answer to your question is yes! I live here - let's start with the Buffalo Billions fiasco - we still don't know where that money went. Then proceed to the free college education he passed. We've given huge tax breaks because so much manufacturing has left the state. Then there is our sanctuary status. Couple that with the trillions in the hole the NY State budget is and why Cuomo is trying to shame Trump into giving us more Federal dollars.

Cuomo didn't buy the necessary medical supplies back in 2016 for emergency use and now passes the blame to Trump. I actually hopes that Cuomo does run for President because all his skeletons will come out of the closet and the Republicans will shut him down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies