Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 04:15 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times

Advertisements

Since 2011, when the Space Shuttle was retired, the US has been dependent on the Russians to launch US astronauts into space. That will finally change on May 27, 2020, when two astronauts are launched to the ISS using the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft.

Quote:
NASA reveals date to launch astronauts into space from US soil for first time in nearly a decade

NASA and SpaceX have set May 27 as the target launch date for the first crewed space mission to launch into orbit from U.S. soil since the retirement of the space shuttle in 2011.

NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken, two veterans of the shuttle program, will ride SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft into orbit on top of a Falcon 9 rocket from pad 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. That’s the same historic launch facility used by the last space shuttle flight.

“Once in orbit, the crew and SpaceX mission control will verify the spacecraft is performing as intended by testing the environmental control system, the displays and control system and the maneuvering thrusters, among other things,” NASA said in an update Friday. The Crew Dragon will fire its Draco thrusters to rendezvous and dock with the space station the day after launch.

“The spacecraft is designed to do this autonomously but astronauts aboard the spacecraft and the station will be diligently monitoring approach and docking and can take control of the spacecraft if necessary,” NASA said.
I think this is the one where the land the reusable rocket boosters by remote control. It is pretty cool and I am not aware of anyone else doing it.

Of course this is also noteworthy as the first private launch of humans into space and to the ISS. So this will be a pretty big day. As far as us no longer being beholden to the Russians for these launches, that is cause for celebration as well.

This will be the beginning of a bold new day.

"To infinity and Beyond!"
-Buzz Lightyear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 04:19 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
The rich looking for that Mars trip outta here !

Old 04-17-2020, 05:13 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Retiring the shuttle program with nothing even in the works to replace it and depending on the Russians was a mistake in my book.

The space program is pretty important in my book. Didnt and still dont understand Obama's reasoning. I guess he just saw it as a military budget cut. Even though much of the shuttles mission was non military.

It certainly saw its share if military use. But it had a big R&D role as well. IDK. But it's gone. I'll have to read up a bit on this new system.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:26 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Retiring the shuttle program with nothing even in the works to replace it and depending on the Russians was a mistake in my book.

The space program is pretty important in my book. Didnt and still dont understand Obama's reasoning. I guess he just saw it as a military budget cut. Even though much of the shuttles mission was non military.

It certainly saw its share if military use. But it had a big R&D role as well. IDK. But it's gone. I'll have to read up a bit on this new system.
There are going to be at least three new systems, once everything comes in line. It could eventually be even more.

In addition to this SpaceX craft, NASA has its SLS/Orion capsule platform almost finished and Boeing is developing it's Starliner platform, all of which are expected to launch Americans into space for NASA.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:33 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

I think the decision to end the shuttle program was made by GWB, not Obama. I agree, huge mistake.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:35 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
How long before we see tang on the shelves again?

Old 04-17-2020, 05:47 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Whatever people may think about Elon Musk, his Space-X company has produced some impressive results.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:50 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,882 times
Excellent news. The space program is a tremendous display of pride and accomplishment in what our great country can accomplish using cutting-edge science and technology. Another piece of GREAT news today!

Old 04-17-2020, 05:52 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
This just in: the Republicans plan to dismantle NASA to pay for billionaire tax cuts. More at 11.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:17 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
It has taken us longer to duplicate what we did in the 60's than it did for us to do it in the first place. Kind of reminds me of the Soviets reverse engineering the B-29.

For 9 years we have swallowed our pride. Hat in hand. Head bowed. Asked our enemies to safely put our people in space. Yeah that is also part of the Obama legacy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies