Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 08:38 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I’m the 67 yr old still working - and taking all the precautions as I can. I can’t afford to stay home once the teleworking is stopped. If others practice common sense we can beat this- but I’ve learned not to trust others to do the right thing.
In Italy- the super hot spot, the mayors are screaming and cursing their citizens for not doing safe distancing. I saw it in my state at Jax beach yesterday and NC/ Michigan protests, parties in NJ - and so forth. You take your life into your own hands but flip that coin - you also put others lives as well - are you going to do right by me? Or others ? (you plural)
Why should others "do right by you"? Why don't you do right by you-and by others. At 67 you are at elevated risk of catching the bug, spreading it and needing hospitalization. And you can also collect social security and withdraw from your 401K (I'm assuming you are a responsible adult and invested for your retirement). Why not stay home except for essentials, wear a mask when you have to get groceries, live off your retirement and let others get on with their lives? Others aren't so fortunate-younger people, especially business owners, can't just sit home, watch Oprah and collect a paycheck indefinitely. Business owners as well as other workers are at risk of losing their life's work or savings. Perhaps you could think of others?

Or not-that's up to you. But why should others shut down their businesses and give up their jobs for your convenience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 08:41 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
One of the most frustrating things to me is that I keep seeing people over the age of 65 out and about. The stores even have special hours for them and yet... when I go at 2:30pm there is nothing but gray haired people. To me it just seems like more of the selfish baby boomer generation. They have social security so they don't worry about money coming in. But they expect all of the rest of use to shelter in place to avoid damaging them. I say enough. Come May 1, we start a phased return. Everyone under the age of 40 can go back to whatever they were doing before. Though masks and gloves should be worn. 40 to 60 limited return, including working from home. Masks and gloves when you go out. 60+ TRUE lock down. No, you can't go to the store. No you can't leave your house.
Sorry sweetie, but life and living don't stop when you turn 60 or 70 or whatev. I could care less if you shelter in place or not, and you are certainly not doing it for my protection.

I'll see you later, you know, this afternoon, at the grocery store.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:41 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That would include race as 33% of the deaths are African Americans while AA are only 14% of the population.
Going to play the virus is racist card now, are we? By all means, if there is a genetic factor that puts blacks at higher risk, start practicing social distancing. Lock yourself in your homes, don't socialize and when you need to go grocery shopping, wear a mask. Pretty sure no one will put a gun to your head and make you go out.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:21 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Going to play the virus is racist card now, are we? By all means, if there is a genetic factor that puts blacks at higher risk, start practicing social distancing. Lock yourself in your homes, don't socialize and when you need to go grocery shopping, wear a mask. Pretty sure no one will put a gun to your head and make you go out.
No. Its the American race card. Anything that hits America negatively is going to impact hardest upon those that America impacted negatively through centuries of racism. If a people are already sick from the impact of racism, then when something like a virus comes along....its going to take advantage of those who are the sickest. So viruses compound the impacts of historical racism.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:47 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Again, read my post.

If you are over 60 and locked down you would have nothing to fear.

IMHO -- zero people with gray hair should be out getting food if they were serious. They could ask people to get them food OR pay for it. Instead they want to be cheap and selfish and are out at the store NOT EVEN DURING THE DESIGNATED hours.

I think I should invest in a shaming sign.
We don't HAVE to go during the "designated hours". You sound like the twit at a hotel once who told my father he HAD to park in the Handicapped space because he was an amputee when he parked near a door closer to his room.

Those designated hours are for those over a certain age who feel more comfortable not being around younger people, mostly because they have a health condition that makes them vulnerable. Not everyone who is 60 is weak or sickly. I'm 61 with no underlying conditions. My younger sister is 59 with kidney disease. That absolute line at 60 isn't a hard and fast rule. You don't turn 60 and then suddenly crumble.

When I go to the store, I know exactly what I need and I am in and out, same as when there is no pandemic. Get out of my way if you're pokey or just there to browse, no matter how old or young you are.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:51 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We don't HAVE to go during the "designated hours". .

But somehow I am supposed to stay in my house and starve to death so you can go -- when I want, how I want.

Again the "me" generation at work.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:38 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Again, read my post.

If you are over 60 and locked down you would have nothing to fear.

IMHO -- zero people with gray hair should be out getting food if they were serious. They could ask people to get them food OR pay for it. Instead they want to be cheap and selfish and are out at the store NOT EVEN DURING THE DESIGNATED hours.

I think I should invest in a shaming sign.
Seriously?

My youngest son is in his 30s - he has a head full of gray hair.

If nothing else, this pandemic has revealed some very interesting biases.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:39 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Seriously?
My youngest son is in his 30s - he has a head full of gray hair.

Does he have a problem? You should see a doctor about that. 30 year olds do not have a head full of gray hair.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Earth 49145.

Give me a break you probably are exactly the same person I see at the store every week.

It isn't going to break the bank to pay someone to get food delivered for 3 months but you expect the rest of the world to go without a salary just to avoid the potential that you get seriously sick. And of course you avoid the part about how I see people shopping outside the designated time periods for over 60

Webster's called they want to talk to you about the definition of selfishness.
If someone over 60 works from 7:00 am - 4:00 pm every day, when should they do their shopping?

Old 04-19-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Does he have a problem? You should see a doctor about that. 30 year olds do not have a head full of gray hair.
Runs in the family, goes back generations.

Maybe making blanket statements isn’t the smartest thing, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies