Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 02:09 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,982,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Maher's point is that people tend to vote for optimistic leader in the time of crisis.

I found the statement generally true.

Yep. Mainly "optimistic BS". No different than a CEO of a company. And brainless idiots eat it up... until their lives are ruined by said idiots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 02:10 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He has defined himself as libertarian. Maybe he doesn't anymore. I watched his show long time ago, probably 10 years ago, during Bush years, and he called himself an atheist and libertarian. Many people say they are something, like conservative, and then go on to prove that they are anything but, so maybe thats the case with Maher too.
George Bush was president from 2000 to 2008. 12-20 years ago. And if you saw him say that, I would believe it was closer to 20 years ago.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:11 PM

1,086 posts, read 441,867 times
Quote:
Trump tried the alternative and called it a hoax, and then said maybe 15 will get infected. It didn't go well, since now 37 000 are dead.

IMO, the guidelines for the shut-down, and the actual shut-down was an overreaction, but if its all medias fault, then why did Trump and GOP Senate etc all dance to the tune of their music? Was the $2.3 trillion bail-out a knee-jerk reaction? If so, this will down down as the biggest political fumble in the history of the US, because the politicians called the shots, not the media. They can try to blame the media, but the politicians own it.
I look at my investments and 401k and I am not seeing the devastation people said was going to happen with these hellish unemployment numbers . It's looking like the final death toll for this pandemic will be far, far lower than predicted.

I see an economy that will come roaring back , with people getting back to work, supercharged consumer spending, a revamped supply chain with a huge boom for domestic manufacturing.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:12 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
He has defined himself as libertarian. Maybe he doesn't anymore. I watched his show long time ago, probably 10 years ago, during Bush years, and he called himself an atheist and libertarian. Many people say they are something, like conservative, and then go on to prove that they are anything but, so maybe thats the case with Maher too.
I think I tried to make the point in another thread that he’s not easily placed in a box. His Venn diagram circle may spill over into some libertarian positions, but his bedrock is pretty firmly left. To the extent he may identify or have identified as a libertarian, he probably used it a lot like I do - as some kind of 40,000ft overview or shorthand, but when you get down into the weeds, I doubt he or I would be in good standing with the Libertarian Party or CATO.

What he is, is an independent thinking progressive. He doesn’t care much for the new, woke stuff, and doesn’t particularly care if leftist activists get on his case for it.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:13 PM

413 posts, read 209,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Both sides failed to understand the reality early on, that much is clear.
There we go. I agree.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:15 PM

413 posts, read 209,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Misunderstood you. My apologies.

No. I really enjoy general discussions of political ideas, but I abhor the hyper partisanship of US politics and media. It really is a ridiculous circus.
Then we agree. On another note, I checked out your profile and I hope you don't mind me saying but you are absolutely beautiful.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:16 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,982,242 times
Both sides have failed the country but the Right has failed the country more. Theres no comparison. Every time a Republican is running something ,some Dem has to pickup the garbge they left and try and fix it. This time is no different.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:16 PM

10,725 posts, read 4,333,152 times
Imagine if Maher was the Democrat nominee instead of Biden!

Old 04-18-2020, 02:17 PM

10,725 posts, read 4,333,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Both sides have failed the country but the Right has failed the country more. Theres no comparison. Every time a Republican is running something ,some Dem has to pickup the garbge they left and try and fix it. This time is no different.
The opposite happened with Obama....
Obama enforced more regulations than any man in history, and Trump saved America by removing more regulations than any man in history.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:18 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
Why not be completely honest and admit the left was downplaying it also, saying it was no worse than a common cold and ENCOURAGED people to get out and socialize? Oh wait, I know why you won't do that.
Am I supposed to care what 'the left' has said. Its not about "us and them" for me, and I am not a Dem, and nor do I vote for them.

I speak for myself, and if you read my comments, I have said all along the federal politicians overreacted when they recommended the shut-down as well as the local ones who followed those recommendations. I am well aware the flu kills 70000 every year, and medical malpractice kills 250 000, but we have not shut down the entire country before, or have asked for astronomical bailouts, including checks for people who have not been affected in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies